Home  >>  Laptop  >>  Apple  >>  MacBook Pro  >>  MacBook Pro 13" (A1278)

MacBook Pro 13" (A1278)

Approved On: 9/10/09
Description: This is a video manual for the 13" MacBook Pro Unibody.
To get more info as well as detailed images of the display glass replacement, click here.

George R Allen
1 week ago
I know this video makes the task seem difficult but in reality, it's even more difficult. If you haven't had some experience or some old junk to practice on, you better leave it to somebody who knows what they are doing. I tried this procedure with a glass that was already cracked. I just made it worse and still didn't succeed in getting the glass out.
@Ralph - Apple doesn't officially sell the keyboard by itself, so our video does not go that far. it is really just a lot of screws once you have the top case off to remove the keyboard.
Ralph
Keyboard change for this model please
Carlo
Is an A1278 A1280 battery compatible as a replacement with an MB990ZP/A
john
I have a 13 macbook spilled water opened it.It looked pretty good not too much water inside. We let everything dry and reassembled it will not power up.
Maroof
sorry for the mistake, I mean the fan is very speedy and the machine is very slow...
Maroof
Hi ALL, I've MacBook Pro with water spilled near to the fan. I opened and cleaned it, it's working but fan is very speedy, very slow , not recognizing USB ports and error 4SNS/1/C0000008: TPOP -- 124 after making apple hardware test. PLS HELP ME.. Thanks
Lynn Heiser
will a Mid 2009 13.3" MacBook Pro A1278 top case fit a Early macbook pro 13" early 2011
ameesh ami
I love apple products
JAIME BAHENA FRANCO
I NEED THE MOTHER BOARD FOR SERIE : CO2G5EHNDRJ7,I KIT OF SCREW,MACBOOK PRO, I DONT SPECK ENGLISH, JUST SPANISH,
Alex Kenyi
I have a MacBook Pro A1278 Model Mid 2010. Can it be converted into Tablet or No.
Melissa Walker
I have a brand new MacBook 13 in. Mid 2009 laptop that was a gift to me from a Computer Tech. It has been running fine but now all of a sudden I can't remember the code and have no way to get in it. HELP!!! The sign i screen comes up but It won't take me some where to reset my password or??
Budjoskop
Hi there, I have strange problem, when I disconnect trackpad from my macbook pro, macbook pro can not find boot volume, soon as I reconnect trackpad, macbook finds boot volume, but when the spinning gears shows up, it shuts down immediately.
Dr. A. K. Shah
Videos are quite informative but nothing about how to replace wi fi card in mac book pro
mohamad
how to a1278 apple makbookpro backlite swching volt tisting
rajasekhar
thank you powerbook medic. i have given it to the apple people. let us see what they say.
@rajasekhar - if it is just a display issue, it still should be booting all the way and you could adjust the volume and hear it from your speakers. Typically with the gray screen, it isn't booting. If it can't do any of the recovery modes, it is most likely a logic board issue. I would get it professionally diagnosed at this point.
rajasekhar
dear powerbook medic! could it be the problem of the display cable? please tell me how can i check whether there is no problem in the display? i bought HDMI cable miniport to VGA and connected it to my another ACER laptop. nothing shows.
rajasekhar
dear powerbook medic! thanks for your response. nothing is happening when i try to boot from the OS disk. i can hear the rom spinning. even i couldnt perform the hardware test because nothing is happening when i insert the disk. i tried this already. i tried to resert PRAM, i tried to boot in safe mode, nothing works.
@rajasekhar - you should be able to hold down D during boot to go into Apple Hardware Test mode. You may also want to boot from your install disc and see if there are any issues reported in Disk Utility.
rajasekhar
I have a macbook pro mid 2010 A1278 with 820-2879-B logic. oneday suddenly my macbook wont start and it stuck on grey screen. the battery is fully charged, i can see the sleep light, i can hear the fan sound, i also can hear the starting chime. but it wont go past the grey screen. what could be the reason? please help me. i am frustrated. i tried all methods to make it start.
Chris Berry
How do I go about just buying the screws for the LCD? During repair they became missing. I just need the screws
Frankko
I reviewed your repair guide videos for the 13" Macbook Pro (1278). I was told by Apple that I needed to replace the entire top case. I was given a top case by someone who parted out their 13" MBP. What other steps do I need to take to swap top cases after removing the bottom, hard drive, battery, fan, superdrive, logic board, magsafe board and speakers? Do you have any other videos that cover this? Thanks, Frankko
Andrea
@Powerbook medic, Hi guys,thanks for your last message. I managed to get the serial number which is: C02H555HDV13 When Searching for the parts, I can see there are 2 possible processor for that logic board, the 2.5ghz i5 and the 2.8ghz i7. I don't have the computer yet as my friend is driving to see me next week, but in the meantime if I like to save time and order the part, is there any way he could see which one it is from taking the back cover off ( and without taking the logic boar apart ) Once again, your help is highly appreciated . thanks
@Andrea - if you can get the serial number off the bottom case, you can put that into our Parts By Serial page and it'll pull up details about that specific model including a parts list.
Andrea
@Powerbook Medic : Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will take look and if it will say pro, then it must be the same. Incidentally, how do i know which logic board he has at mo? I have seen on here you sell different ones according to speed Ghz etc? How about the processor ? I 'd like to get him exactly the same one like for like to avoid incompatibility of drivers etc thanks again .
@Andrea - A1278 will always be a 13-inch. They did have an earlier MacBook (not Pro) with the same model number with slightly different parts. You can just read underneath the screen on the bezel which kind it is.
Andrea
Hi Guys, My friend has spilled coffee on his macbook and he was told by the lads at Apple that he needs a new logic board ( and possibly keyboard and fan ) I want to help him as he has no idea whatsoever, But I have only just repaired and changed pc laptop, never a mac. He told me he has a macbook pro A1278 , my question is ( at last lol ) is this the only model ? or do they have a 15" as well. and if so will it be the same logic board ? Thanks so much for your help :)
THANG
How about if power button not working and the front light is off, there were no power at all even battery been charge full after water spill onto keyboard. Regards Thang
shawn
what if the adhesive seal on mine is completely worn out. How to I replace just the plastic?
@Colter - if it's 3 flashes on the front light, that is usually a RAM issue, if it's a constant flash, that is probably going to be a damaged logic board.
Colter
I spilled a drink on my key board. I immediately turned it upside down and put it in rice, it is as dry as its going to get. The battery charges, USB ports charge my phone and the light on the front is blinking. However when I open my laptop the screen does not turn on and the light dims to off. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?
Sigmund Cieszkiewicz
I know that a picture is worth a thousand words, however, when you start the project PLEASE show or list the tools necessary to perform the operation. (i.e. PH1 or a J0 phillips)...especially the trefoil (sic) screwdriver size. Don't just quickly show it on the screen. Finally, the connectors should be carefully shown and explained on how to SAFELY remove them without damaging them. There are three (3) that come to mind on the mother board (Logic Board) that if not properly handled can damage the ribbon cable or connector for that matter. Some of us do have fat fingers and need to be reminded to be gentle and shown the proper technique in handling the different types of friction connectors when disconnecting and re-connecting etc. Otherwise, the Video was nicely done. Oh, before I forget a higher resolution 1080p would have been nice.
fernando
ola tenho um macbook pro A1278 i5 2.3ghz inicio de 2011 ele nao reconhece nenhum dispositivo usb nem meu HD externo nem pendrive nada usb, ja reinstalei os drives de usb mas nao adiantou,ja fiz reset de pram e de smc e nada!! ja reinstalei o mountain lion e tambem nada estou usando a versao 10.8.3, o engracado eque tem 5 volts nas portas e recarego meu celular normalmente, sera que minha placa logica ja era!!!
@Olivia - it can be the hinges themselves or if any of the casing is damaged it may be rubbing up against them as they move. You may want to go into the machine and see if you can adjust the tightness of the screws and check for any damage.
Olivia
Hi ! My hinges of the screen makes a weird noise every time I move the screen. And the right one is getting lose. How do I fix that?
@Brett - if it doesn't turn on with a charged battery or with the power cord, it is most likely a damaged logic board. The board would need to be repaired or replaced. Both options are pricey. You may want to check with Apple if you think it may still be under warranty.
Brett
Hi there I had a USB plugged into my MacBook and I think it shorted out. Now it won't turn on or charge. Is there a fuse I need to replace or do you have any ideas on what it might be?
@Bryan - it is tricky. Usually we'll get a spudger or some other plastic tool and just try to use it to get the right angle and leverage to get it to go in.
Bryan.
How do you plug the big tape connector in at the bottom of the logic board?? I can't get it to seat all the way in.
@Sam - you may want to install some heat/fan monitoring software to see what is going on. The fan may need to be cleaned out, replaced, or your logic board may need to get a new application of thermal paste.
SamDeeLam
For one reason or another, my macbook hums as if the fan is trying extra hard to cool down the computer, and it just randomly crashes on me. Help ?
Lee
Hi! I accidentally spilled water on my desk and some of the water went into the side of the comp where we plug our USB in. May I know how can it can be repaired?
Bryn
Was great to learn how to replace broken screen. Wifes computer glass broke on here Mac book pro, thought it was time for a new computer, this saved my a ton of money. If not mechanically inclined I would have a friend do it for you . Now I have to fix a friends, and my uncle screens now. What a great product.
@Joe - it could be several things. I'd try running disk utility from the OS X installer and scan the hard drive for errors and repair permissions. If you've added any 3rd party RAM I would take that out and see if it still freezes. After that, it may be the logic board, but you may want to get it professionally diagnosed at that point.
Joe
What's wrong with my MBP? I recently replaced the hard drive and clean installed Mac OS X. Now, my Mac constantly freezes after power up. I ran the hardware test and turned up nothing. Could this be logic board issue?
@Hady - that is usually the battery itself or the logic board.
Hady
i learned from you something thank you. and I want to know about a problem that my laptop can not charge what should i do???
@Leo - there is a separate magsafe board, but it's a very small part and rarely goes bad. It should be in the first row in the part list to the right.
Leo
Magsafe on hoard?
@Leo - it's probably the magsafe or logic board. You may want to try and do an SMC reset if you haven't. support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
Leo
The Charger Is Now Flashing Green/orange? very low light when i push the on button. No noises, no fans, nothing. What can be ? It may be battery or megsafe?
Leo
@Mike - yes it probably is the logic board still and diagnosis is free. If you send it in and decide not to have it repaired, you'll only be responsible for the shipping costs.
Mike
I a have a 13" MacBook Pro that stopped working. I found corrosion on a few locations on the logic board which I cleaned off. It still does not work. No lights come on and there is a dim green light that flashes orange erratically on the charger when it's plugged in. I feel like this is a bad logic board. I am wondering if the diagnosis is free and all even though I've been in there already. Thanks.
@Javier - usually if it is just a sensor you'll still get some activity or some sign of power. you may want to take it somewhere or send it to us to be diagnosed.
Javier
Dont works... I have ensambled and disemsambled few times the case... It has ten sensors, can they be the problem? Any advise? Thank you very much for your help...
@Javier - the top case includes the power button. If it's not connected, the machine can't turn on.
Javier
Any reset is possible?
Javier
No, that's not the problem, the hdd dont run neither the fan
@Javier - most likely the top case cable isn't in all the way. check that first.
Javier
I'm worry i don't know whats wrong...
Javier
Hi, i hace replaced the LCD screen, and now my a1278 dont run, the batery indicator lights ok, but the computer dont run... What's the problem?
@sayed - it depends what settings you mean. if you are talking about resetting the smc.. press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. release them all at the same time, and then hit power to turn the machine back on.
sayed
how to restore the settings on apple macbook A1278
sayed
how to restore the settings on apple macbook A1278
@Juan - we do ship internationally. The parts are listed to the right. The product page should list the recommended tools.
Juan
I have this 13" Macbook and the screen is broken. I live in Colombia, What can I do to get the products needed to replace it? Do you ship international? What products do you recommend to do it myself?
@Sarah - that kit is just the keycaps. It won't fix a mechanical problem. The full keyboard is part of the top case on this model so replacing that is your best bet.
Sarah
I was wondering if I could purchase just the keyboard (922-9279 kit) and if that would be sufficient in fixing a broken keyboard. Only half of it works currently but it is significantly cheaper to buy only that. I just don't know what exactly that entails. Like does it come with the plastic backlit portion and would I be able to unscrew the gazillion screws on the keyboard and replace it? Or should I opt for the entire unibody part replacement?
jwills
the trackpad hun?? is that the left palm rest temp sensor?? thats the err im getting. ty for your help. u dont know of a like to a fix of that do you?
@jwills - there is a heat sensor built into the trackpad cable. You'll most likely need to replace the trackpad to fix it.
jwills
jwill
jwills1@ymail.com I am getting a 4SNS/1/c0000008:TsOP--124 its telling me i have a left palm rest sensor issue? it is causing the macbooks fan running on high and macbook is running very SLOW. I cant find the left palm rest sensor anywhere. can you please help
@Anders - these use LED-backlit LCD screens so inverter boards are no longer used.
@Chris - that appears to be correct. there are a couple revision cables, so make sure the correct one was ordered.
Anders Denmark
Where to buy an inverter board?
Chris
At 3:21 in the video for logic board removal, what cable are you pulling off? Mine is damaged and needs to be replaced. I'm pretty sure it is for wireless because that is the only device that doesn't work. I ordered the isight cable but it is not the right one.
@WASTE - the final video in this series shows you how to get to the display back case.
WASTE OF TIME!
Totally wasn't what I was looking for... I was on another site trying to find out how to remove the back LCD cover & I ended up here. I know how to remove the BOTTOM smh
@Vishal - with those issues, I'd have to assume it's a logic board issue with some short happening. We'd really have to see it in shop for testing to get a more detailed diagnosis.
Vishal Singh
I have a macbook pro 13.3 inch i7. Its trackpad and keyboard suddenly stopped working. Also its bluetooth is showing a cross and no usb mouse is working on it too. I used to encounter this problem earlier also but opening its bottom cover and closing it solved it several times. Now nothing is working. Last night, I was embarrassed as it was not working, I left it on charging, when I came back after dinner, everything was working fine, but after some time it was back to the problem. Since then I have tried many things and nothing worked. I hope you can help me . Please
daniel
i need help.i have a mac book pro 13 , and i droped some water over the keyboard.No starting .Any ideea where i can fin a logic board ?? I can put other one from another model ???It will fitt??? Mine is A1331 ??thank you for any advice .mail me pls.mereutadan.wu@yahoo.com
@Richard - good to hear. hope it keeps running smooth.
Richard_K
On the liquid spill: I cleaned the board some more without removing it or checking the "upside". With everything dry I put HD back in, connected batt and powered up -- it works!!! All lights, functions etc. Did some more cleaning of keys, the touchpad and so far so good. Hope to test performance after a week. The responsible party is quite relieved (and it isn't me!!!) Thanks for great videos.
Richard_K
We've had a liquid spill. I've removed batt; HD (it's OK as you might have expected). I've cleaned back of logic board with denatured alcohol and allowed it all to dry. Here's my question -- should I remove logic board to clean THAT side or shall I try powering it up first? I've got a feeling the board may be fried but I wanted to at least try it. If it's worth removing logic board to clean I will. Does liquid destroy the paste on the chips side of the board? Your videos are great and if I need a board I will use you guys for having this help available. It's a early 2011 model of 13" Macbook Pro with the 2.4GHz chip. Thanks!
@Marky - for the caps lock, I would reset the cables or otherwise it may be defective. for the battery, just swap it out but an SMC reset is advised afterwards. for the logic board upgrade, 2.53ghz is the best you can do.
Marky P
Hi PBM I've got a couple of Q's if I may.. I have a MB Pro 13 mid 2009 2.26 duo core 2 and last year I had to change to topcase as I damaged my keyboard with cleaner . I believe it was from a 2010 MB Pro and thanks to you great video I took it apart and put it back together. All works except the caps lock light so have I missed something? Secondly I need to replace my battery as its now gets to 17% and shuts off. Is it just a straight swap for a new battery and would I have to reset the SMC? Thirdly (sorry) Can I upgrade my logic board to the 2.53 or 2.66 Duo core 2 or is the 2.53 the max please. Many thanks
@charly - it sounds like the backlight is being overloaded and shutting off. possibly a short in the LCD.
charly
Hi I have a macbook pro 13" late 2009 i am having a problem with the screen back-light as when i increased the brightness level to the maximum the back-light will shot off when i have the brightness on two levels down from the maximum wont have any problem it only when i put it to the maximum. Would anyone know what might be the problem and how to fix it would appreciate your help.
Mary
Hi. My logic board is water damaged, unit won't power on. Do you guys fix that? Do you recommend I take out the logic board and send it to you or the whole machine? Do you have any customer reviews? Thanks
@Erin - the other connection there is the microphone cable.
Erin
is the cable being removed at 2:45, logic board removal, ACTUALLY the cable to the speakers? because the speakers right there are plugged in lower than the connection being removed at 2:45; even seen on the freeze frame. i'm looking to replace that cable, the three metal pins slid out and i don't know the order of the three wires (grey, thin black, thick black)
Angie
Hi, I bought a second hand 13" Macbook Pro A1278 that is working fine; however it seems to have an earthing issue especially when it has charged and the green LED on the connector is showing. There is a buzzing, "rubbery" sensation when touching the unit. This is not what one would expect from a supposedly double insulated device. The AC adapter I was given with the Macbook does not have an earth pin; the button where the adapter head slides in, is plastic. The adapter is marked as a replacement AC adapter A1184. Is this the right one? I am in Australia where all wall outlets are earthed.
@Paul - thats the speaker cable there. The power button is part of the top case cable. That's the first cable in that same video segment.
Paul
It's the logic board removal video. Thanks
@Paul - 2:45 of which video segment?
Paul
During the video, @2:45 what is the cable that you remove and is it possible to get a replacement of this part. I think it is the cable that comes from the power button, is this correct? I turned my MBP off and now it wont power on. I have stripped it and this connector is damaged. Sorry for the repost, but you never answered me the first time round :)
@Mike - we offer a logic board repair service that in most cases can fix GPU issues.
Mike
Can you repair gpu or is that logic board replace only?
@Rory - the issue is the height of the drive. The bigger capacity you get the more of a chance it won't fit. You'll want to stay away from anything over 9.5mm tall.
Rory Donohue
Hi guys, I'm just wondering is there a limit on the size of hard drive I can upgrade the A1278 model with ? I read somewhere (I think the Crucial website) that 750GB is the max it can take. Although I would imagine it should have no problem with a 1TB? I can't find anything on it in the manual. Would be grateful for any advice you could give.
@ Harjinder - you are really at the mercy of the Boot Camp drivers. If your boot camp drivers are up to date, there's not much we can do. You'll have to go to boot camp specific forums for help.
Harjinder
Dear Sir, I have the same mackbook pro A1278. I deleted its OS completely format the hdd and installed windows 7. but my sound ,ethernet,wifi ,bluetooth not working due to proper driver.please reply me the name of sound card driver,ethernet driver, wifi driver so that i can download it from their respective website.
@jimmy - the battery indicator isn't necessary for it to function, so most likely you have a logic board issue.
jimmy
My 13.3" macbook pro A1278's stopped charging (when connected to power adapter led light was flashing yellow and green) and battery slowly died. After that the charger's adapter was either not turning on at all or flashing green and yellow, but computer failed to turn on. I changed magsafe board, and now I get solid green led light, but computer does not turn on at all. I accidently ripped a cable on the right, that connects to the battery power meter. Could it be the problem? Or my motherboard is dead? What are these 2 ribbon cables on the left side - just on the top of the battery? They are extremaly hard to put back. Could it explain why my computer is not starting?
Paul
@2:45 what is the cable that you remove nad is it possible to get a replacement of this part. I turned my MBP off and now it wont power on. I have stripped it and this connector is damaged.
@Kimberly - sometimes the LCD gets cracked underneath the glass and you'll want to remove the glass in one piece. If you are replacing broken glass, you'll want to do it in a similar way, but you may want to do it over a trash can as sometimes glass fragments will come loose.
Kimberly Loretnz
I love how you are pulling off a WHOLE GLASS most glass replacements are for BROKEN GLASS.. lets see that?
@Richard - yes you can buy them anywhere, brand does not matter, and the interface depends when your model was released.. on this model they switched from 3Gbps to 6Gbps after the first release.
Richard
Hi. I want to buy an HDD for my mac... can I buy it in Best buy? What are the Characteristics? SATA or SATA 2... does it matter if it is any brand? SeaGate, Western Digital, etc?
@Josh - if the sleep light isn't pulsating or anything, it is most likely a dead logic board. You may want to get it professionally diagnosed at this point.
Wilddean
Hello All, have been trying to suss a problem which ocured after replacing thermal paste on CPu, Now cant get wireless card working (no Airport installed) What was the second to last cable removed on the underside of the logic board before the Magsafe adapter?
Josh
I took my logic board out to clean it due to water damage, after reasemblee it won't power on, plugged it in and get a green light on the charger but still no power. I tried resetting smc but that didnt do anything either. Any advice.
@Nicolas - you can replace it yourself. We sell them in the part list to the right.
Nicolas
My trackpad is damaged : it zooms by itself and does not respond when I slide my fingers. Is it possible to replace it myself ? Where can I buy one ?
@Steve - the keyboard is part of the top case, so you will need to remove everything.
Steve
Nice videos. I want to replace the keyboard in a 13" MacBook Pro (2009). Do I have to remove everything or can I leave the battery and hard drive and take the rest of the stuff out?
@Scot - as long as they are from the same release group (i.e. Mid 2009), it should be interchangeable. A difference may be one having a backlight and one not.
@Steve - the temp sensor is built into the top case on that model. Try using iStat and you'll see its reporting temperatures.
Steve
Hey Powerbook Medic, there's no "temperature sensor" on the 13-inch MacBook Pro!!!
Scot
What are the odds of palmrest 613-7799-A fitting a macbook with palmrest 613-7799-C. Both seem to be from mid 2009 13.3" macbook pro A1278's though I know macs are finicky.
@John - it takes some practice and a little luck. If you can use your flat tool where the cable bends and push it towards the connector, you can get a little more leverage.
John
How do you put back the 2 and 3rd cable that you removed? They are very flimsy and i cant push them in far enough. Is there a trick to it? Thank you.
@Scot - it is either the logic board or the top case (where the power button sends the signal to turn on the machine). I'd make sure the top case cable is plugged in well and not torn.
Scot
I have 2 macbook pro A1278's (2009 & 2010). When plugged in both charge battery but nothing happens what-so-ever when power button is pushed. Would the logic boards more then likely be dead? On one the fan cable and mic cable is damaged and on other mic cable is damaged. Not sure if that affects anything.
@kosala - it should be a #00
kosala
Hello it saying Philips screw driver , but don't mention what number or the size of screw driver. in my case I'm trying to find and buy that.
Matt
None of these videos seem to cover the keyboard. I assume you have to remove everything else first. Is it obvious what to do after that?
Jason S.
Hi! I need to replace the motherboard in my A1278 after a liquid spill. Being scared away at the cost of replacement motherboards, I thought another way to go about it would be to buy another used MacBook pro and transfer the motherboard to mine (and then sell the other for parts). Are there any issues that come from doing this? Are there any other compatible motherboards for my MacBook Pro 13" unibody? Thanks for your input!
@logicalchoice - I've never seen coconut battery detect the battery status but not the operating system. I'm not really even sure how it is possible, so it could be an OS issue or a battery issue, it is really difficult to say without trying another battery.
logicalchoice
Coconut shows my battery has 79% but the system either cannot see the battery or at other times says that it must be replaced. Battery does not charge. System does not work without mains power.
@Michael - the airport card is inside the display.
Michael
Hello, I am repairing an A1278 13" unibody's AirportCard but cannot find where this thing is in the computer and have taken every single part off. PLEASE HELP!!
war
thanks for the quick reply.... you guys are the best!
@war - most likely. it can also be an issue with the connection inside. you can do an SMC reset by holding down the Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. For diagnostics, I recommend getting an app called Coconut Battery.
war
And would tell me how to do the smc reset? Or any dignostic procedure on battery. Thanks.
war
My battery stops charging, i can use my mac only when i put the power cable. Do i have to replace the battery?
@SK - the only thing really left is the logic board. You may want to get it professionally diagnosed at this point.
SK
I replaced the battery and did an SMC reset, and I am still getting the "No batteries available." Any ideas?
@SK - yeah I'd try that next.
SK
I did an SMC reset, not help. Should I try actually disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and running another one?
@SK - I would try reseating and reconnecting the battery if you haven't already. Otherwise it is typically the battery, but you may want to try a SMC reset first.
SK
I replaced my fan, and since then my battery is not recognized. It says "No batteries available" and completely shuts off if I unplug the adapter. Do I need to replace the battery now?
James
This is the best website I've seen to date on the subject! Great job! Cheers James
darryl
thanks is the iSight cable the oe with the long wire that leads to a small circular board that is covered with a rubber cover? How best to deal with a broken connector?
@Nikos - a small phillips should be all you need for the base.
@darryl - the last thing disconnected in that video is the iSight cable.
Nikos
What kind of screwdriver do I need to remove the base? Can you please share this information? Thank you.
darryl
in the last step of removing the logic board what is the long wire and small connector for? How best to repair this if the connector comes apart
@Danielle - its an internal test done by Apple software to check if the battery has a fault or the charge capacity is too low.
Danielle
My battery is showing a service battery warning, but I have not noticed any change in the battery function. What triggers that warning?
Bob
Just replaced the glass on my 13" MacBook Pro without taking the clamshell apart. Did have a problem with the glass shattering, so I had to vacuum up shards as I worked to carefully remove the pieces. Looks like new now. Thanks!
@Nazaire - 2.53ghz is the highest speed they make for your release group.
Nazaire
I have a Macbook Pro 2.26 GHz is it possible to upgrade this Macbook Pro by simply buying a faster logic board for it? I am just wondering if I can go up to 2.66 GHz
@Taimi - you can try to clean it, but it really isn't designed to easily do that. Most people just replace the top case.
@engkus - it is most likely the drive going bad. You can try to clean it, but you may be better off just replacing the drive.
@Andy - the keyboard isn't intended to come out, so it is pretty difficult to do. You'll most likely have to take out the superdrive as well to get to all the screws. There are tons.
Taimi
We spilled some milk on the keyboard. All seems to be working other than the right hand side of the key board. We have pretty much exactly the same questions as Andy. Eagerly awaiting your guidance. Thanks so much!
engkus
my dvd drive is slow in reading; could you guide me how to trouble shoot it
Andy
Hi! I'm hoping to remove and clean my keyboard, then reassemble. Since I don't need to go all the way down to a clean top case, is there much more after logic board removal that I'll need to do to get access to keyboard mounting screws? And does that black plastic sheet (behind the keyboard) come off easily or is it finicky, etc. Thanks in advance!
Sultan
I have a question...... umm can u post a video on how to tight the hinges
@Federico - for the most part yes. you may be able to loosen it up enough to squeeze it out, but I'd recommend taking it out.
Federico
Is is necessary to remove the whole logic board, to remove the magsafe card on a 2009 13" macbook pro ?
@Dog - it is most likely the logic board. You'd need to go in and inspect it to be sure.
Dog
Hi Powerbook medic. Got a A1278 2009 version MAcbook pro. With water spill, you can hear it starting the hard disk and then cutting out after seconds, when I removed the battery, the hard disk works fine but the fan or screen don't show signs of life. Is it the logic board? or what other things can be? that I can test. I had a thorough look and I don't see corrosion or sign of the remain spill anywhere. thanks
@Jorge - the fan issue is most likely a temperature sensor that isn't plugged in well. The airport is probably a separate issue. The airport cable may be getting pinched in the hinges at certain angles of the display.
Jorge
Hi, my keyboard stoped working i got new one and changed everything. Now after reassambly several other things went wrong, at moments averything is fine then the fan speeds up like crazy the trackpad becomes seriously unresponsive airport says unistalled sometimes. What could be the issue?
TAJE
I did the same thing. The whole part came off. Now the wire that connects the fan to the logic board only has 3 prongs. I was just trying to blow it all out. But that one got stuck. I think I need together a new fan an soldier another outlet. I thought about the super glue too but it's not made for conductors .
@Carolyn - there are only a couple of things that constantly move inside. One is the fan which could have a loose ball bearing and the other is the hard drive. Typically the hard drive you would start seeing some booting problems and the fan would usually get louder as the machine heats up and causes the fan to go faster.
Carolyn
I dropped my macbook pro from 2 feet off my dresser it didn't fall hard it landed on a soft surface. But now upon moving it there is a noise on the inside that sounds sort of like two pennies moving around on the inside. What should I do?
@guzoli - yes the hard drive is usually fine after a liquid spill. You'll just need to open the bottom and take the hard drive out and put it into another machine or an external enclosure.
@Tom - we have a logic board repair service that can sometimes fix broken connectors, but if the traces on the board were damaged, it would have to be replaced.
guzoli
my guest pushed a glass of water over on the table. the water went into the new macbook pro 13" (into the backpart). ever since the macbook is dead. not even the charging lamp on the wire is on. is it possible to get the data from the destroyed notebook? (we plan to get the money back from our guests insurance company. but we had a lot of important personal stuff on it...)
Tom
What can I do if I accidentally lifted the fan cable socket off the logicboard during a disassembly? Is it possible to re-seat the socket over and on its contacts if I use a MINUTE amount of superglue? Of course I wouldn't let the glue touch the solder points....is that unwise or do-able if im extremely careful?
@Miguel - these machines use LED-backlit displays which don't really have an inverter like the older Macbooks, so it really depends how it is acting up. You may want to click on Send-in Mac Repair above and get a quote from one of our techs.
Miguel
Hey just a quick question, my screen is acting up and a friend of mine said that the lcd inverter needs to be switched. Where is that located at?
@adam - we charge $95 labor plus part cost.
adam
how much should it cost to have a professional replace an lvds cable on a macbook pro 13 inch?
tomartist
Hello. How can I know if my superdrive needs replacing or if it may be some other issue? Drive does not read or write... just eventually spits media out.
@mscappa - as far as res, thats the best you can do without going to an external monitor.
mscappa
I've read the video card isn't swappable on these MBP's, is that correct? Any option on getting better than 12x8 on these? Just such low res!
Adam
Thank you. :)
@Elizabeth - you may just need to replace the top case, but logic board would be the next culprit after that.
Elizabeth
My son spilled Kool aid on my Mac book pro 13' now it types very strangely. I am supposing the mother board needs replacement.
Vonda
Thank you for your guide to help my husband replace my keyboard. YOUR AWESOME!
@angelo - we sell some in the list to the right.
angelo
is there anywhere to get a logic board besides Mac?
@RI - not an easy way, no. You pretty much have to pop off each key.
RI
Daughter spilled Dr Pepper in keyboard. Unit still seems to work, is their an easy way to clean the crud from under the keys?
@Bump - yes, you'll need to remove all screws near both hinges and disconnect all cables going up to the display.
BumpHead
How do I remove the top(screen) and hinge portion from the rest of the laptop. It looks like there are 2 cables to remove and possibly a couple of screws...
@Angelo - the power does go through the magsafe but the actual power management is built into the logic board.
Angelo
battery stop charging does the mega safe board or the logic board have the power supply for charging,maybe a pico fuse somewhere
Jose De Leon
How can I disasemble the airport card?
@adam - the display cable connects on the logic board which is easy to check just by removing the bottom case. the other end and especially replacing it does require separating the display from the main body and removing the glass.
adam
I believe i have a loose or damaged lids cable. I want to replace it but not the whole lcd screen. do i still need to serparate the screen from the main body of the computer, remove the glass and lcd screen to replace the cable? Also, i have heard that sometimes the cable just needs to be pressed firmly in place. if so, can i do this from the bottom of the computer? the effect is limited to one line about an inch and a half long and can goes away at times. I appreciate any help!
Joe
How do I remove the screen from the base of the laptop? Do I need to remove it if I'm only replacing the glass cover?
@Maria - you should just need to take off the bottom case, and you should see the RAM slots. @TJ - it depends if you are detecting your wifi router or its connecting but just not letting you surf. if its not detecting it at all, it could be a bad airport card in your machine. best check is if another device can connect to your router.
TJ
Why will my mac book pro A1278 work at wired campus but will not work with wireless router at home?
Maria
Is there a "how to" on installing memory?
octavio
i have mac a1278 , i change 3 hard divers, i cant install os, has a hit on the hard disk connector, can be that the problem
@Ron - it's a tricky connection. you have to get enough slack to push it in all the way, but it can be easy to tear. There's not really a trick to it, just have to keep trying.
Ron
To reassemble, how do I get that flat ribbon cable to the left of the RAM, back in?! It's the one you remove at 0:28 in the vid. It only inserts into the slot a little (even using tweezers) and it will not go in far enough to lock with the push down lever.
Ron Tam
To reassemble, how do I get that flat ribbon cable to the left of the RAM, back in?! It only inserts into the slot a little (even using tweezers) and it will not go in far enough to lock with the push down lever.
@dennis - yes they are in the part list to the right.
dennis
can i get the screen adhesive strips themselves? for some reason mine came apart....
@bj - there are a few different speeds. you can see what we have available in the parts list to the right.
bj
whats the price for the logic board?
@Ramiro - probably not. The upgrade to the 2.26 model was a 2.53GHz. The 2.4 was from the next revision.
Ramiro O
Need to know if the heat sink for a macbook pro unibody (A 1278) 13" 2.26 Ghz is the same for the Macbook pro unibody (A 1278)2.4 Ghz.
Sérgio
Hi, how can i separete the display back case from the body so i can change the display back case and the lcd and the glass? thanks powerbook
@Dan - it is nearly a complete disassembly except for taking apart the display to replace the top case. Follow the guide until the Glass and LCD video and you are left with the top case
Dan Carter
I cant find the guide to replacing the keyboard(top case)
Venu
Great Video, Helped in fixing the optical drive Thanks a lot
Beau
Hi I replaced the glass cover for the LCD Screen on a MacBook Pro A1278 and turned on perfectly fine before I replaced it and now it doesnt turn on at all. I double checked to see if the cables where plugged in properly and they are and I reviewed the motherboard to see if there was any damage to it and there is not. Any solution around this? I really dought its the motherboard but I cant be 100% sure about that.
@james - the keyboard is part of the top case. It is the last piece left after following this guide.
james nigeal
how to replace the keyboard.. how on earth you forgot to add that tutorial..
Rob P
Thanks for the video. It was a great help with the LCD replacement. I found that I didn't need to entirely disassemble the unit. I just took the last few steps pertaining to the specifically to the LCD. Thanks again.
@Paul - Apple doesn't sell the display cable by itself, but you can find them elsewhere. We sell them here just to the right of this chat section.
Paul
Hello! I own a 15" unibody mac pro (mid-2009) and the display has started to play up (intermittent vertical lines, roughly an inch in width in one area of my display, roughly 13cm from the right of the LCD) The staff and the Genius Bar said the LVDS cable had to be replaced, and then he said in order to replace this cable an entire new LCD screen was needed! Is this a correct statement from the Apple store? Its rather frustrating as a University student to pay$1000 for a new LCD when my Mac is only 100 days outside of its Warranty... Any help would greatly be appreciated, Thankyou!
connect
anyone know where the wireless card is and how to change it out? thanks.
@Vladimir - its at the very bottom of the page. The link says Request a Part
Vladimir
I do not see option to submit part request for logic board for MacBook Pro 13" Unibody - where is it?
@Darryl - you can submit a part request at the bottom of this page if you can't find the part on our site.
Darryl
What is the price for a logic board on this MacBook?
@Charlie - you shouldn't have to jam it too hard. As long as the locking bar is up and you are putting it in straight. It should go in with a little fiddling, but you don't want to work it too hard or you can break the lock.
Charlie
Thanks for the awesome tutorial! We got almost everything done, but are having a tough time getting the keyboard cable back in the socket. The "lock" is up, any ideas? Do you just jam away till it goes in :-/ thanks, Charlie
@notes - once you get to the bottom side of the top case, you should see the underside of the trackpad. There should just be several screws holding it in place and possibly some adhesive. It is fairly straightforward once you get to that point.
notes
how to change the trackpad on this model? please add a video :)
Anders
Hello. i'm looking for a video on how to change the airport extreme card. I know it's under the display, but i haven't tried to remove it myself. is this possible at all?
We have a separate video on keyboard key replacement. It is pretty much the same on this model except some of the keys may have the contacts rotated 90 degrees.
Jay
Please post a video on how to remove the keys from the keyboard
Oppieguntur
Please help me.. is there bluetooth module in this model? Where can i find it and replace it..
@Doug - both will work in your machine, we just haven't added your ghz speed to the list yet.
Doug
I have serial W80353R7ATN 13" macbook pro - I was ready to purchase the 750gb hd and the 4mb ram sets and it does not show compatibility for my 2.66GHz processor. What is compatible?
@Chris - yea if you swapped chips and it still registers as empty in the same slot, it'll be a problem with the slot. you can try to clean it out in case some dust got in there. Otherwise, it'll be the logic board needs repair or replacement.
Chris
Hello, I have noticed that Bank 1 of my RAM shows that it is empty when I have a 4 gb stick in it. I have switched the sticks around and it still shows that the Bank is empty. Any help would be appreciated.
@Fernando - there's just a few screws for the hinges holding the display in once you get to the end of the video series.
Fernando
Hi, I need to replace the "clutch cover" in video 3:41...dont know the name.Pls tell me how to separate the video from the body. Thanks
@Bev - you should be able to click on the batteries in the product list to the right. You then can get a shipping estimation.
Bev Pearson
Sorry forgot to give you my serial number so we can get a price on the correct battery: W8941LV266D
Bev Pearson
Hi there, just watched your video on battery removal and replacement which I am confident I could do. Apple have just informed me that my battery is spent on 588 cycles. Could you tell me how much a battery for my MacBook Pro 13" would cost from yourselves with shipping to UK please?
@Toh - the top case would need to be replaced which we sell for $279.95. You can see it in the product list just to the right.
C.Toh
Dear Powerbook medic, After a small spill some keys are not working on my MBP 13". I have accepted defeat and plan on taking it to the local dealer in order for it to be sent for repairs. Its over a year old so no warranty (just biting the bullet and paying) but wanted to ask how much a new keyboard fit usually costs? Further more wanted to enquire about how you can tell if the "logic board" is potentially broken? the MBP works fine apart from certain buttons not responding (checked using the on board programme thing which demonstrates which buttons are being pushed).Sorry if this is a silly question im not very tech savy and want to make sure that im not in for a very exspensive repair. Good work on your vids and thanks in advance for advice you can provide. Toh from the UK
@Corbin - for the airport issue, it has to be a disconnected cable inside. If you went into the display, the airport card is there and may have gotten disconnected. Otherwise, it is on the logic board. For the fan issue, that is typically from a temperature sensor that didn't get plugged back in to the main logic board. Recheck that.
Corbin
Hi, I just replaced my LCD and back case and now have 3 problems. FirstI have no internet, it just says no Airport Card Installed. Second, When I shut off the computer through the apple icon it shuts off and immediately turns back on by its self. Third, the fan is running very loud the second the machine is on and does not turn off, when the lid is closed and it is asleep, the fan turns off and on repeatedly.
@Arnold - hard drive speed only helps with reading and writing data to the drive. Once the data is in memory, it doesn't help any more. If you are reading or writing very large files to the drive, it can help. More RAM will help with everything. The more RAM you have the faster applications can open and the faster they'll run.
Arnold Schwarz
Hi Guys. I am not the Terminator :) Advice please: does speed dramatically improve if SSD SATA drive is used (Seagate 2.5 500GB Hybrid) to replace standard 160G Hitachi drive in macbook pro 13 of mid 2009? Also, does speed really improve if upgrade from 2 to 4 or 8GB of DDR 1066 memory, and which would you use? Tnx Arnold.
@Alexander - you can replace just the glass. It is a pretty tricky repair, so if you aren't confident, I would have us or another repair shop do it.
Alexander King
Hi I have a cracked glass unibody on my macbook pro 13 inch, the lcd is still in perfect condition. What do i do? Do i just get the unibody glass replacement or will i need to replace the lcd too?? Thankyou Kind Regards Alex
Gan van Samkar
Hi Derek, You will need to remove the bottom case and inspect for damage (takes about 2 inutes with a phillips screw driver). Generally the trackpad is dead. In your case first go thru the videos, maybe you need to order a full set including keyboard and trackpad
Derek
Hello, i spilled some orange juice on the keyboard (macbook pro 13 mid 09), everything is working, just have a very almost non clickable trackpad (and few keys) do you think i can clean the trackpad and keys? thank you so much for your help
Yoshi
My Macbook is a A1278 Model (MacBook5,1) as I can read at bottom cover but the keyboard is different and I can access directly to the battery.
Jason
Hey there, I followed your instructions on how to detach the superdrive but i cant seem to put back the speaker cable to the logic board. Please help!
PowerbookMedic
@ Victor - You can call or email our repairs department for a repair quote. The Phone # is 1-866-726-3342 option 2.
Victor
What will cost to replace the battery, keyboard and the speaker on a Macbook Pro 13.3
PowerbookMedic
@ bonnie - If everything works for 20 minutes and then it dies, you most likely have a problem with your logic board.
bonnie
this video is great. however, i spilled coffee on my 6 month old mac and it will cost about $800.00 to repair. is there a way i can tell which parts have been affected? it will go on for about 20 minutes then turn off. thank you.
Andy
I know that this has probably been asked but if i follow all of these videos will this release the top case for replacement? Thanks
@Dom - most of the inverter stuff is built into the circuit board at the bottom of the LCD. You can take a look at the product photo and see it at the bottom.
Dom
It spilt on the keyboard and switched off. Three days later I tried turning it on and everything worked except the backlight. The keyboard backlight works too. I even connected it to an external screen and it worked fine. Is there any chance it's the display inverter?
@Dom - it really depends where the liquid did damage. No backlight can be the LCD or the logic board.
Dom
Spilt orange juice on MacBook pro 13'. everything works except no backlight on screen. How do I fix this? Thanks
Garry Conn
Amazing video series. Thank you so much for taking the time to create this.
@bec - i would check and see if your isight works. If it doesn't work either, it is probably the cable in the display got unplugged or damaged.
bec
Thanks heaps for the videos, they're really helpful. I dropped my macbook pro and got a big dent on the top right corner of the body and bottom right of the screen. Everything works great (phew!) except that I get 'no airport card installed' and 'no bluetooth messages'. How would I go about checking their connections and whether they need to be replaced?
@Paul - worth a shot, might end up being the logic board tho which isn't cheap.
Dr. Paul
Mine got some water spilled in it, near the top left corner of the keyboard.Dried out and worked for a few months (!), but mag safe light sometimes was bright and charged normally, sometimes dim and charged at snail's pace. Wanted to try to reset the battery memory so ran it all the way down, now can't get it to start up at all with battery after a few days of charging or mag safe only... am probably going to try to replace the DC board -- recommended?
@Jonathan - I would try the battery first, if not then it is usually the logic board especially if the magsafe light still comes on. @Kogi - Once you get to the second to last video, you only have to remove the screws from the hinge to take the display off, then you can follow the last video.
Kogi Noo
I repeat: Where is the video showing how to remove the entire screen display assembly from the unibody!
Jonathan
Hi, my macbook pro 13" doesn't charge. A new magsafe board might be the solution?
@jj - that can be an LCD issue, a display cable issue, or a logic board issue. It is hard to diagnose without running some tests on it. I would take it somewhere or send it to us for a diagnosis.
@Freddie - you don't technically have to remove the display to change out the glass or LCD, it just makes it more difficult.
jj
hi there... my macbook has a persistent black screen... everything works, starts up fine then flashes the my wallpaper and stays black. ive tried everything.... what is wrong with it?!
Freddie
Thanks so much for the quick response. I watched all the videos, but I still can't figure out how to remove the top case/display case so I can proceed taking apart the glass and replace the LCD. Do I detach it by opening the bottom case and removing all hardware inside? I was hoping that I do not have to touch anything in the bottom case, as I only need to replace the LCD. Thanks again.
@Freddie - sometimes a dented back case can apply pressure to a new straight display and can cause discoloration in that spot on the LCD. you won't know until you switch it out. removing the display just requires removing the hinge screws after you get to the end of the videos here.
Freddie
My 8-month old MacPro 13" got a big dent on the display back case, damaging the LCD. There's no sign that the outer glass screen is damaged. Do I also need to replace the back case? I don't mind that it's dented but I don't want the dent to touch or damage the new LCD. Also, I don't see any video on how to detach the display unit/case from the bottom unit/case. The video for the LCD replacement shows the display case detached already. Please help, thanks much.
@Sumaiya - That sounds like a defective logic board, I would take it to Apple if its that new, it should be under warranty unless you've spilled something in it.
Sumaiya .R.
My macbook is just a month old. It's been working great but yesterday it suddenly froze. My trackpad and keyboard do not function. My screen has frozen and I can't switch it off. What do I do?
@KK - once you get to the underside of the top case there should be just tons of small screws holding the keyboard in.
KK
does anyone know how to open up the metal keyboard? I suspect dust/ crap under my letter S (sticking) I have seen it done a long time ago using F5/F6 keys?
@McMac - These use LED screens, there is no separate inverter board. All of the backlight controls are in the LCD assembly itself.
McMac
Where is the inverter located on this machine?
@Airport - The airport card is in the bottom of the display. If it says airport card not installed, that will be a hardware problem. It may be unplugged or defective.
Airport Card not installed error
1. Where is the Airport Card within MacBook Pro 13 inch 2. Why do I get the Airport card not installed error. ..no wireless. However the Ethernet works fine
@Hasani - They are #00 phillips screws
Hasani V.
Hi, what brand and type of phillips head screwdriver are you using to remove the screws from the fan? The screws are very tight and I'm having difficulties removing them. Please help, it's frustrating.
@Lacho - there is not, but once you get to the underside of the top case, it is fairly easy to see how. It is just a handful of screws.
Lacho
Hello, is there any video which shows how to change Trackpad on Macbook Pro 13" Unibody ???
@Alfredo - it is pretty self explanatory once you are in there. The iSight module is just screwed in and is easily moved to another back case.
Alfredo
I need to replace the screen AND the back though. How do you move the iSight, etc. to the new back?
Gregory
One thing not shown here, but VERY important is ESD wirst strap you need to wear all the time or ESD mat.
Pete
Great parts & service! Just finished replacing a broken piece of glass & top case trackpad / keyboard. Ordered the suction cup and use an 1800w hair dryer. Getting it nice and warmed up loosened the adhesive & with the credit card, the glass gave way as the guide shows.
Steve
Thanks for answering my question! Hope my top case and suction cup come soon, so I can undertake this big repair project. Thank you guys for your excellent tutorials as well!
@Steve - if you follow this guide, it should show you how to get to the point where it is just the top case and display. There are just a few screws holding in the display and that would be a complete disassembly.
Steve
Ok, this is all well and good. But I need a tutorial to remove the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY from the BOTTOM CASE and how to put it back on! I think you guys skipped that part in your tutorials. Or are the late 2009 13" Macbook Pros assembled in the same way as the unibody MacBoooks?
@Vincente - That is the wireless and antenna.
Vicente Vargas
Do you know if i disconnect both cables of the screen the computer should power Up ? What is the board below the clutch cover? is an inverter?
@ Vicente - The only way to test is to replace the component with another one and verify it works.
Vicente Vargas
Looks like i want to Cry :-D. I triple checked every cable this computer have. I have no clue why it stop to power up. I even connected the old broken screen. How can i test if the magsafe is good ?
@ Vicente - Have you gone back into the machine to check all of your connections? It sounds like the top case cable may simply not have been plugged in correctly.
Vicente Vargas
Great after replacing the Screen, Now my computer doesn't Turn On. Any tips. I did everything in the video, and no visible damage since i was very careful but now i press the power button and nothing happens.
@Alonzo - It really depends how comfortable you are with the repair. It is generally advised to at least take the display off the hinges to do the repair. As soon as you can take the display off, you can. You don't have to completely disassemble it.
Alonzo
Do I have to remove all these parts to remove the top case in order to replace the glass screen?
@Griffin - We haven't really seen any issues, but all we sell is the LP133WX3.
Griffin
Has anyone had compatibility issues with the LVDS cable not being compatible with certain displays? I am trying to replace an LG LP133WX3 with an AU B133EW04 and it seems the cable connectors are different and not compatible.
@ Mimmo - You can do a part request (In the Support tab) for the logic board. We may be able to source one for you.
Mimmo
I spilled water on my macbook pro, i need to replace the logic board. Where can I find one for a reasonable cost? excited to hear back from you, thank you
jason
any idea where the water damage stickers are located? i want to see if this laptop has water damage..
@jason - The keyboard comes with the top case. If you really need to remove it there are several several screws holding it in.
jason
how do i replace the water indicator stickers by the keyboard? also how do remove the keyboard?
robert
the macbook pro model number is 5,3 could you confirm you've serviced or replaced battery/trackpad on this model with 5 point star screwdriver for instructional vid?
@robert - There shouldn't be a problem. It sounds like Apple is just trying to get you to give it to them for repair. If you don't feel confident though, I wouldn't do it yourself.
@Juice, if you watch these set of videos you'll be left with the top case and then just work backwards.
robert
if you know which screws i'm talking about then could you do an instructional vid about how to removing the battery and replacing trackpad with this specific model of mbp?
Juice
I have some dings and dents around my trackpad, I want to replace the aluminum bottom half...does anyone know where I could find a video that demonstrates how to do this?
@kadz - you use your OS install cd.
kadz
i replace my hard drive on my macbook pro, how will i reinstall mac osx?
robert
which torx security bit should i get if it has 5 edges like a star?
robert
the earlier models used the tri-wing, if you have one of the newest ones, they may have switched to the torx security bit. does the screw have a hole in the middle?
robert
upper mid quadrant (black colored)
robert
the star shaped screw on top of the battery
@robert - which screw are you stuck on?
i mean torx T5
robert
i bought the tri-wing and it did not fit, :/ apparently it has a star groove, 5 edges so should i get a Torx T6 tool?
John
It is the first plug that is disconneted,(with 3 wires) on the back side of the logic board, the side of the plug attached to the wires seems to be broke I found it with 2 of the wires out of it.
@John - I'm not sure which cable you are referring to. Can you describe where it goes?
John
The plug with the three wires attached to it on the bottom of my logic board is broken. Is the any way of getting a replacement?
@robert - the trackpads should just require a small phillips #00.
robert
nvm scratch last question, which tool (s) do i require to remove and screw on new trackpad?
robert
could you try a tri-wing on that model and get back to me?
@robert - I'm fairly sure they use the tri-wing screws, but don't hold me to that.
which torx tool should i get to take out the battery screws? mid2009 mbp
@robert - once you get to the underside of the top case, it should be pretty straightforward.
could you make one for 15" MBP mid-2009 release, for replacing trackpad? ty
@Paul - The keyboard is included with the top case. Once you follow these videos and remove the display from the base, the top case should be left.
Paul
I did not see the instructions for the replacement of the Keyboard for the Mac Book Pro 13" MOdel No 1278.Please provide same.
@Peter - it may be either the magsafe board or the logic board. If it is still under warranty, you may want to take it to Apple. If not, we can take a look at it for you.
Peter Nigeria
Please, my 13" unibody macbook pro will not power up after a power surge, however I could power the laptop with the battery and used it till the battery ran low. Now the battery is low and i can't power up. And I can't charge the battery with my power pack, even when I bought a new power pack. No green or orange led light at all. How can this be fixed please? Do I need to send it down to your store?
Anonymous
Nicely done videos.
@Amy - It is quite similar, you should be able to figure it out watching this video.
Amy
Is there a video for the 15" screen removal. I heard the process was slightly different.
@John - Once you go through these videos and remove the display, all that is left is the top case which includes the keyboard and trackpad as one piece. They call it a unibody for this reason.
John
Bottom case removal not very impressive. Remove some screws. But how do you then get to the stuff like the trackpad? I doesn't look like it will be very obvious from the image you can see. I want to make sure that no "gunk" got under there before turning it on again. Wine got spilled near the machine and I cant tell if it got in the keyboard or trackpad.
@Person - Did you watch the last video in this series? It clearly demonstrates all that is involved in replacing the LCD.
Person
This video doesn't show anything but removing the screws, wow. I understand removing the screen might be simple, but I don't know how to do it, so I wouldn't want to mess anything up. This is why I would want an actualy video showing how to do.
No, there is not a certain tightness. If the trackpad is not clicking properly, it likely needs to be replaced.
ashley
hi im having trouble with my trackpad ive gotten it to register clicks but now it feels to tight when i tighten the screws on the trackpad behind the battery is there a certain tightness for the little screw that registers the click
Removing the display is actually pretty simple. Just remove the bottom case, and on either side of the display are 2 wire clips with phillips head screws, remove those and the 3 Torx T6 screws from each hinge. The display will then just lift up and out.
Steve Crawford
I also need the video showing how to remove the entire screen display from the unibody.
@Barb - Yes, we have a manual on the 17" unibody. This is for the 13".
Barb
Do you have video of replacing the top case trackpad keyboard assembly for MacBook Pro 17" Unibody
Todd Wilkinson