Home  >>  Laptop  >>  Apple  >>  MacBook Pro  >>  MacBook Pro 17" (A1297)

MacBook Pro 17" (A1297)

Approved On: 10/23/09
Description: This is an official Powerbookmedic.com take-apart guide to the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody with model number A1297.

@Mauro - we have a separate video for the 13-inch glass and LCD removal. You can use that as a guide. It is similar.
Mauro Diaz @YoSoyElDiestro
How do I remove and replace the screen? Thx :D
Josue
I have a 17inch MacBook Pro. some water got in and now it won't turn on. Where do you recommend, getting a new board from? The battery meter shows full battery. When I press the power button, to computer does not do anything. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Steve
Guide neglects to mention anything about wireless card or the connector.
@Sunil - that would typically be an issue with the backup (PRAM) battery, but I believe on that model it is built into the main battery, so that may need to be replaced.
Sunil
i have macbook pro A1297 its giving time and date error every time when i start computer have u any video where is coms battery in this model or how to solve this problem?
@Joseph - read the previous comment by me.
Joseph
Would u please show how to replace the led screen in this model
@Mina - if you take a look at our other MacBook Pro video guides, there should be one for glass removal. It is for a 13-inch model, but the process is the same.
Mina
Hello, I have a 17" macbookpro, LCD not working but my hard drive still running great..any videos on how to replace the LCD before I buy it from you guys?
shayla
if you want to remove your ram don't bother watching any of these videos.
Ashwin
@powerbookmedic - thanks for your advice. The Apple service here helped out by removing the stripped screw (they basically cut (maybe filed) a notch and made it a flathead). They still wouldnt undertake replacement of the old hinge since its not part of their regular process. However, I could then remove the old hinge and swap in the new one I got from you folk! Saved me atleast $900. Thanks. Much.
miles
i have a 17inch macbook pro model A1297...i also have 3 kids who broke the display screen. i see many videos on how to take this macbook apart, but nothing on screen replacement. if you can walk me thrunit ill be happy to videotape the event and post it for you. your thoughts?? thanks, miles
@Ashwin - if it is strong enough glue it may work.
Ashwin
@powerbook medic - thanks again. I take that as my cue for you could do it, but dont :)) The screw head is not fully stripped, there *maybe* some traction and I was thinking of trying just one thing - using some quick glue to fill the head and let a T6 driver bind. Would that work?
@Ashwin - you'll need some way to grind out a line across the screw so you can unscrew it with a flathead. typically this is done with a dremel but with screws stuck in vital components its dangerous and not recommended.
Ashwin
hello again Powerbook Medic - I can now confirm that the T6 screw IS stripped :( Other sizes have no traction either. Any pointers on how best I can proceed with trying an extraction? Thanks!
Ashwin
It does appear so :( And the stripped screw extraction videos seem pretty scary right now :P The other sizes just wont get in - will need to find another kit and try. Must have ordered a kit from you guys as well. Thanks for your prompt response though - really appreciate your service.
@Ashwin - It sounds like the screw head has been stripped. Sometimes you have to jump to a larger size torx screwdriver.
Ashwin
Hello Powerbook Medic - I received the hinges I bought from you - thanks for the prompt shipping all the way to India. I did knuckle down and get to tearing it down, but got derailed by one of the T6s holding the display which just doesn't grip with any driver. Any suggestions? The Head looks a bit circular inside - maybe there is no grip. Let me know what I can try. Thanks for your help!
@Fitz - you'll definitely need the LCD as it sounds like that broke underneath the glass covering. You should be able to just feel the glass and see if you need that as well.
Ashwin
Thanks for your advice Powerbook Medic. I have placed an order for these hinge/clutches through your portal. Hope I can get around to fixing it soon enough! Really appreciate your guidance and inputs.
Fitz
Hi. I managed to drop a metal door hook on the front of my MBP (Core 2 Duo) display, and it now has dark vertical lines coming from the top and bottom edges, as well as a large white splotch on the right side with a darker border around its left side. It looks as if someone tore half of my screen off, like a piece of paper. There is also a noticeable glass "spiderweb" where I assume the hook hit. Can you tell me what part(s) I need to replace? Is it just the LCD, or do I need to get a whole new display unit? Thanks.
Ashwin
@Powerbook Medic - Thanks! So, is the probable worst-case scenario a broken hinge/clutch? I guess I will gather up some courage and "go in" - thanks again - really appreciate it :)
@Ashwin - yeah there are a bunch of magnets around the display that snap together when it gets close to the bottom case. if it isn't doing that, it typically happens when the top is out of alignment which is usually because of the hinges being loose, bent, or broken. If they are loose.. you can go in and just tighten them back.
Ashwin
Hi! I am having trouble keeping the lid from closing - its really really loose. The laptop has never been dropped or suffered any impact. Apple says that i need to change the display unit without as much as a cursory examination :P Is this related to the hinge clutch? Whats the likelihood of it needing tightening? Or will it need to be replaced? W89094JM2QP serial no. Thanks for your help and advice!
@Dyi - you can just replace the LCD.
Dyl
Is it possible to repair a part to an anti glare screen (where the outer layer is fine and emitting light but appears cracked from within)....or must I replace the whole display unit to fix it ?
RICK WATERMAN
Do you have a video for the display replacement?
@Frank - we don't have a video of that, but the card is in the display. You'll have to take apart the display to get to it.
Frank
Would you do an instructional video on how to replace the airport on the 17" Macbook Pro Unibody? Thx! Great videos.
@Dale - the keyboard is part of the top case. You have to remove everything to replace the top case. Get through these videos and it should be just the top case left.
Dale Grimsal
Great Videos... Can you please do one on the keyboard removal on Macbook Pro Unibldy . I spilled cofffee on mine and so some of the keys aren't working nad need to be replaced. Sorry for the typos, but I'm on it onw. Thanks again
@Jim - the keyboard is part of the top case. You can remove just the keyboard if you want but there are dozens of screws holding it in.
Jim
Do you have a video for removal of the keyboard on a 1286
@mj - yea replace the fan. most likely the bearing inside the fan is damaged.
mjmeindl
Hey. I really enjoy your vids. They make everything so clear. I have a 17" Pro Unibody. Every so often, the left fan makes A LOT of noise. Usually this happens after the laptop gets bumped a little or if I pick it up while its running. If I shut the computer down and do a PRAM reset the problem usually goes away (for a few hours or a few days). I recently opened up the bottom to go over everything with canned air and noticed that while the right fan spins fast and doesn't stop right away after i remove the air, the left fan doesn't spin at all with the air and when i spin it with my finger it doesn't go far. Do I just need to replace the fan? Is there anything else that could be the problem? When it doesn't work it is LOUD and can heat up the area around it to a pretty high degree. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
irulethe70s
or dont remove the sticker at all like me:)
@James - The logic board would seem a logical assumption based on your circumstances.
James
PowerbookMedic I also noticed my fans where not working and the MBP would over heat.. then of course shut down... i guess this points to the Logic board to, as the fans are powered from there.. Could my assumption be right Cheers James
JAMES
Thank you for your advice ... I will have it checked out .. Cheers James
@James - That is typically going to be either a problem with the battery connector or the logic board. You may want to have it professionally diagnosed at this point.
James
hi I have a MacBookPro SN W871307PW0J I get ''NOT CHARGING'' in the Battery display (top right hand corner in Screen) Althought the battery and charger are both changed '' bought New'' I still have the same problem. There must be some board between both that could be the problem .. ANY IDEAS !!! would be appreciated Greetings from Oslo Norway
@ Blabla - The procedure is basically the same. We sell the glass and displays at our online store. You can replace a Matte with a Glossy LCD.
Blabla
Hello, thanks for the easy and understandble guide. I have a Macbookpro 17"unibody with MATT!-Glass Display with really nasty black lines/fields. I have to replace the display so this is my questions is this replace- procedure the same like for the macbookpro 13" Glass dispaly? How do i replace the matt display? Where to buy the new Display? Can i replace the Matt Dispaly with a Glass Display?THX for the answer in advance
@Ruud - If anyone other than an authorized Apple service center opens up your machine, the warranty is void.
Ruud
Will this effect my apple care?
Joe
Awesome. Thank you. Don't make fun of me but what is the music?
The #00 Phillips should be all you need unless you are doing a battery removal.
Hessel
can anyone tell me exactly what size of screwdrivers I will need?
Scott
That video segment still isnt up and I want to replace my top case.
NomAtter
Why removed the Sticker "Do not remove the Battery"? And why remove the 2 screws from the Superdrive (2:22-2:30) ?? They don't need to remove that !
The procedure is actually the same as the 13" Unibody glass replacement. We do have a video of this up. We'll try to get a 17" glass video up, but in the meantime you can use the other guide to get the job done.
kyle
Hi i wanted to buy a replacement glass for the macbook pro unibody but cant see a guide for installation. Is this likely to be uploaded soon? thanks
Hey Sean, There are pretty much just three screws on each hinge, and once you remove those the display comes off and you should be left with the top case. We should have that video segment up soon.
sean
I want to buy the top case with keyboard and keypad for macbook pro 17'' unibody from your online shop, but there is no video showing how to replace it. Are you going to upload in the future?

Comment: