Home  >>  Laptop  >>  Apple  >>  MacBook Pro  >>  MacBook Pro 15" (A1286)

MacBook Pro 15" (A1286)

Approved On: 9/18/09
Description: This is an official Powerbookmedic.com take-apart manual for the 15" MacBook Pro Unibody with model number A1286. Be careful not to get this confused with the older non-Unibody model.

1 week ago
@Dan - all A1286 models are unibodies. The glass must be carefully removed to get to the LCD. It is highly recommended to send this in for repair if the glass is not broken as it is very tricky to remove your first time.
Dan
1 week ago
order # was 275181
Dan Middlebrooks
1 week ago
I have a mid 2010 1286 2.53 i5 but it is not unibody. How do I remove the LCD to replace it. I purchased from you but can't figure it out. other option is send my lcd and laptop to you.
Guy V.
2 weeks ago
I also have a damaged unibody (15") LCD back cover. Can I swap the whole cover assembly with screen with another earlier unibody 15"? To be clearer' I have two 15" unibody MacBook pros, one has a removable battery' the other does not. The newer one has the damaged case and a few dead pixels, I can use the older model MacBook with an external monitor and would like the better screen and case on the newer base/logic board' etc.
Russ
Nice video showing how to open up case, upgrade memory and remove/replace SuperDrive. Easy enough but after doing so, system showing "Bluetooth not available" and "Airport Card not installed" Had some difficulty reconnecting the long cable to the logic board as to alignment. Might this be the problem if cable connection not fully seated? Now have 8gb in this early 2009 15" MBP A1286 but no Airport.
Mike R
I have scratches on the top aluminum cover of my mac pro. What to do?
DS
There is no latch on the unibody MacBook Pro 8,2 A1286 early 2011 (See EveryMac.com and iFixIt.com MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 Battery Replacement
Our guide is just showing how to do a complete disassembly, so if you are confident you can remove the superdrive earlier than we show, that is perfectly fine.
Theresa Preston
Do you have to remove the speaker assemble to replace the superdrive? It doesn't look like it's necessary to remove that just to replace the superdrive.
@Phil - you may have to remove the logic board on some models. For those screws, we only sell complete screw sets. It should be in the part list to the right.
Phil
Wish you had a video for removal/reinstall of trackpad for this model of MacBook Pro. Do I have to remove the logic board? Striped the head of a Phillips screw while trying to remove SuperDrive. Do you sell spare screws?
Omar
I wish you guys had a video showing how to replace a clutch cover
barb
You guy's ROCK! Great service, everything arrived as advertised and quickly. The directions in the manual was exactly what I needed. My mac now has a working keyboard. Thanks a million.
Jason
@powerbook medic - I know that apple does not sell the keyboards by themselves. I am actually looking at replacing just the keyboard. I have found one online but want to make sure it will fit.
@Jason - Apple doesn't sell the keyboards by themselves on the unibody style laptops. We sell individual key caps, but the keyboard itself comes with the top case.
Jason
@powerbook medic- I am actually meaning just the keyboard portion. I know there are differences with the top portion of the case. I just want to replace the keyboard only. Thanks!
@Jagerz - we have an alien life form on staff which makes it easier. there is usually 3 screws. one in the middle and two on the sides which may be under a sticker.
@Jason - there are some differences mostly between the trackpads, you can click on the top case product in the list to the right and see the different versions.
Jagerz
The videos are very well done, how did you capture video so close while working, third hand??:-) As for battery removal, my daughter's A1286 does not have a battery door/cover but is under the full bottom cover and even after screw removal there is something still holding it to case next to hard drive compartment???
Jason
I have a late 2008 a1286 that I need to replace the keyboard in. Are all the a1286 keyboards the same?
CMC
According to EveryMac I have an A1286 but I do not have a lever to open up on the back to remove the battery...
Jacob
@ NotaMacGuru: It looks exactly like my A 1286.
Not a Mac Guru
Wrong Mac guys...this isn't A1286 model.
@superfly - those aren't supposed to come off. if it is lost, you typically have to replace the logic board or find a non-working board you can take it from.
superfly
I lost the black bar that has to be removed before removing the HD. Where can I find it to buy?
WILLiam
don't use magnetic tools, and avoid using your fingers to touch anything inside the case. Static electricity is your worst enemy.
Eugene
Many thanks. Yes, will hv to try new batt and wont be taking the mac apart. Almost no info of PRAM for this model on the net. Yes have tried all the suggested resets and also drained battery. Seems like I buggered the batt for lack of use (only 68 cycles) as leave it plugged all the time. Problem only when boot fr batt (keeps shutting itself down) but after leaving it plugged in awhile it works like normal. All point to some sort of batt problem.
@Eugene - I'm pretty sure the PRAM is built into the main battery on this model. You'll most likely have to replace the battery. You can try a PRAM reset if you haven't already.
Eugene
i have the 2008, A1286. does this have a PRAM battery. i have to plug into mains permanently now as otherwise have problems booting from battery.
@Mac Guru - you should read the previous reply to lindsey's same concern. It may help you.
Mac Guru
Still the wrong video you idiots
Mario
HI there. Quick question. Maybe you might know what the problem is. Have macbook pro uni body 15" early 2011. Half the keyboard is not working, theres no sound card peripherals showing in the hardware info anymore, and keys like to repeat themselves on their own and do all kind of wierd stuff. Left side seems to be the dominant problem area- Is it possible its the Left I/O board? Logic board is fine. Where the heck can I get one for the 1286 model with the i7 processor? Thanks
@lindsey - the split case model is also A1286. We just haven't made a new video for the newer case design yet. It's mostly the same once you get past the bottom case.
lindsey
This isn't the right video this is the older mac book pro that was replaced by the A1286 version in mid 2009. the A1286 does not have a split case on the back and requires a different battery.
david
my unibody a1286 does not have a split case on the back. is this the correct video?
denisi
my apple a1286 does not go to sleep when I close the lid.What might be the problem cheers
@Laurent - actually the first revision that came out had a separate battery cover and not a single piece bottom.
Laurent
not the good video : this is a first 13" unibody macbook, not the 15" unibody macbook pro , the bottom case covers all the bottom of the laptop
tim
@bruce I think some of the parts are different. the cable to the drive looks different
Hal
Do you have to remove the logic board to change the magsafe board? Good video but one is also needed for reassembly. Thanks
Bruce
Thanks. Is it just a matter of removing the screws and then the interior is the same? Not that I am at that point yet, since I bought the computer in April but didn't start to use it until July.
@Bruce - yea Apple changed the design slightly but kept the same model number. The early models had a user replaceable battery, then they changed it.
Bruce
The model number on the bottom of my MacBook Pro is A1286. However, the bottom is a solid piece with NO latch or separate battery cover. Are you sure this is the right video for Model A1286?
nhattamlaptop
hiii your service is actually tuye good, I can buy your parts from Vietnam
@Karl - you can follow our guides to remove the display, then you have to remove the glass. Then, you'll be able to access it.
Karl
How would one get to the airport card in the black part that attaches to the screen? I am having problems with the airport card and may need to replace it.
Al
Boris, no need to buy the lcd. The airport card and antenna is located in the black part the attaches the screen to the laptop. I had the same issue and both parts for under $60.00 bucks. I only needed the airport card. My MBP would not detect the network sometimes and it eventually stops detecting the all wireless network. Be careful working with open covers and only test it when everything is back together. Good Luck!
@boris - is it the actual airport that says not available or is it just a signal problem going in and out? If it is just the signal, you'll need the antennae, otherwise you need the card. We sell both separately used. There is no need to replace the entire display.
boris
my airport goes on and off a1286 the guys at service says I must buy the screen and the airport is charguing $1100 for all
bobby
My 15.4" unibody (A1286) glass screen is cracked, the LCD is fine. I'm going to buy a replacement glass from here but I don't see any video showing how to repair it. Anyone?
@mario - it is in the display.
Mario mex
Hi anybody know where is the wifi card in the mac a1286?????
Matt
Thanks a lot. I may trash this computer middle or end of this year so I'm not keen on spending too much on it. Especially seeing how the logic board may be screwed. Any tips on the epoxy application?
@Matt - you can. we can't really recommend it because it can be easy to damage things by doing it if you use too much or mess up and you need to redo it and its too late. But as long as you are careful, it should be ok. As far as those new issues, those are somewhat unrelated and the logic board is where they come together so it is most likely a logic board issue.
Matt
I also forgot to mention, my battery died about two or three nights ago, and along with it, my airport and ethernet connections. Does it sounds like a logic board problem? The only way for me to get internet now is to connect to wifi via my android, then usb my android to my mac.
Matt
The metal frame that surrounds the lcd in my MBP broke, such that the part at the hinge is separate from the rest, and as it is also no longer attached to the main back case the thing is giving me lots of problems when i try to shut it. Also my glass screen has started to popout at the bottom. Would it be possible for me to just remove the glass, add an epoxy like jw weld to fix the broken frame together to the back cover and then epoxy the glass frame back on as well? Please advise. Thank you.
@Adam - Apple actually switched to the latchless bottom case and kept the same model number, so it's a little confusing. Everything past the bottom case is quite similar.
Adam
Model number (A1286) is wrong. I'm typing this on an A1286, and the bottom doesn't have a latch and is in one piece, not two.
Alex
Stripped a screw replacing one of the fan assemblies and had to dremel it out. Are the fan mount screws the same as the logic board screws?
@Eric - the replacement parts are just to the right on this page. You'll see the LCD screen and the Back Case. The description on each product page should point you to what you need.
Eric
...and one more thing! It's a Unibody.
Eric
Correction: 2.83Ghz!
Eric
...and the back case replacement part,too Thanks
Eric
My MBP 2.83Mhz 15-inch A1286 got caught in the airplane seat as a I was reclining. Result: screen cracked. Exactly, which replacement screen model should I order?
@Brett - you can replace the glass without removing the display, it just makes it a little easier.
Brett
Hey, I need to have the glass panel replaced on my late 2009 model Macbook Pro (15"). The screen replacement video shows the actual display completely removed from the computer, however, I cannot find that particular video. My question is this - Must I remove the logic board and magsafe etc to get to the screen connections? Thanks Brett
@Dick - the headphone jack is part of the logic board
Dick
on the MBP A1286, with an intermittent audio jack, what module is that mounted on?
@Rosemary - the keyboard is built into the top case on this model. Once you get the logic board and the internal components out and remove the display, you are left with the top case.
Rosemary Holt
I clicked on this link to see video of removal of keyboard. Where can I find that?
@PaulG - fan control has always been an issue with mac laptops. Apple leans more towards having the quiet, energy saving experience, than trying to keep the system cool. As far as the sensors, usually when they go out, they go all the way out and cause the fans to go full sleep as soon as you turn the machine on. You may want to take it somewhere or send it off to us.
PaulG
Hi thanks for answering ,do you know by any chance if this specific model, which has a penryn cpu suffers from a bad thermal sensors on the cpu? maybe it's a bad figure from the cpu. I'm not sure if replacing thermal paste would do a big bump in temp , at much I would get 5 degrees down.. but maybe you could help me out and know if they're doing a bad job from the production line when adding thermal paste. Fans are fine. Do you know what's wrong with the SMC controller by the way? thanks again
@PaulG - it could be the thermal paste or it could be the fans. If it is still under warranty, I'd definitely talk to Apple first. Otherwise, you can go in and blow out the fans first, see if it helps, then go in to take out the logic board.
PaulG
Hi do you know if this specific model has an SMC problem regarding fan control? I had to use Lubosfan control otherwise fans are stuck at 2000rpm. I got latest SMC update installed. Besides this CPU temp it's about 54C idle it's a Penryn T9400 CPU, so I'm thinking there must be a bad thermal paste job, so I was thinking on removing the logicboard, then the hetasink and reapplying some thermal compound like IC Diamond ,are these temps normal? I mean is it worth doing the thermalpaste thing?
@Bharwana - black screens can be either the LCD, the display cable, or a bad logic board. You'll just have to investigate each and see if you see anything wrong or take it somewhere to be diagnosed professionally.
Bharwana
MacBook pro A1286 screen is not working , black screen
@Keren - if you are talking about replacing just the display back case, you'll have to take the display off the base and then remove the glass and LCD. It's one of the hardest repairs.
Keren
Is there a way to replace the housing for the display? I got a dent in the outer shell of the display, and though the computer and display both work perfectly, it won't close all the way now because of it. Found the part, but don't know how to take it apart, and I don't want to fiddle with it too much and end up damaging the LCD. Thoughts?
@carl - the procedure is fairly similar once you get the bottom case off. we don't have a video of the newer model yet.
Chris
Mine, which was manufactured in nov 2009, is also different. One piece back. Anybody know where to find the correct procedures for mine?
@Ken - that is a special security bit that is pretty hard to get. You do risk stripping it, but you can typically get it with just a regular phillips screwdriver if you apply good pressure.
Ken
A also have the A1286 model that is different than this one. I need help, because I cant find the right screwdriver for removal of the battery. It is similar to a torx, but is a five sided star instead of six. Is there anyone who knows the name of this scredriwer?
A1286
Where is the video for the A1286 with the back that does not have the easy battery removal? I ID'ed my Mac and got this model but it looks different? What??
@hickory - not far, as soon as you can see the bottom side of the trackpad, you can change it out there.
Hickorystick0
The trackpad on my MBP 15" is not recognizing clicks and I plan to order a replacement. Question - how much further is is necessary to go (following these videos) in order to get to that trackpad - or, do you have a video on that which I'm not finding? Thanks
Melle
This doesn't belong to the 2010 revision
Corey
I think there's 2 generations of A1286. I have a mid 2010 MBP (MacBookPro6,2) and it's model number is A1286. The bottom is different, along with the Airport/BT wiring harness.
Pieter
I have an MBP also with model number A1286 but my back cover is one piece, not two as in the video! It appears that even for the same model number there are still differences.. :-(
@tyler - typically yes. You may want to verify the backlight cable didn't just come unplugged underneath first though.
tyler
the backlight on my keyboard is no longer working, will a replacement keyboard fix it?
@ FrankieG4 - What part exactly did you upgrade?
FrankieG4
hi, my keyboard does not light up anymore from SL upgrade.. any suggest?
@Lennert - replacing the back case requires removing the glass which we did not include in this video as it is a very very tricky procedure. We have a video of the 13" glass removal which is quite similar. Once the glass is removed you'll just need to remove the LCD and it is fairly straightforward.
Lennert
Hi, how to replace the Display Back Case? Regards,
@Nicky - the keyboard is part of the top case. You can remove the individual keys by popping them off, but to remove the entire keyboard is a daunting task with tons of screws which we won't cover.
Nicky Nugroho
Can you post a video how to remove the keyboard on macbook pro unibody after removing the logic board . i have someting stuck on my keyboard .
Koller
What are related backlight issues with this model?
You can view our 13" Macbook video for the Glass removal procedure. It is the same for the 15 and 13" models.
JonnyMcGee
Hey, I also would love to see a video of replacing the glass bezel, need to replace mine soon. It decided to crack in my backpack last week.
Mendez
I need an instructional video on the removal and installation of the glass bezel portion of the display. Any help would be greatly appreciated
peter o'keefe
I have a later model A1286 that has a single back panel like the 13". Once removed, a notice on the battery says:"Do not remove this battery". This prevents me from accessing the trackpad, which is suffering from a coffee spill. The trackpad works fine controlling the cursor, but the click is intermittant. I have hopes that careful cleaning will restore the click function, but I fear that the "do not remove" notice on the battery should not be ignored.
Not yet. If you look at our video of the 13" Unibody display replacement, then the procedure is extremely similar.
DaveL
Looking to replace my damaged screen, have you got the video done yet of a screen swap?
@Matt - Currently there is no way to get new back cases, so it is not a service we offer. The only way to replace the back case right now is with a complete display.
Matt
I would like to see how to do a display backing replacement. I bent the corner on my macbook and now it won't sleep when i close the lid because it's bent down just slightly.
Chris
Cable was in but was not snug. Wiggling it solved the problem. Thanks much
The wireless and iSight cable comes from the display and connects to the logic board near the fan on the left side as you are looking at the board.
Chris
Used video as a guide to replace magsafe board. Now the computer reports that no wireless devices are installed. Guess I may have not connected a cable properly but I am unable to find which one. Can you please point out which is the wireless cable?
taj
is there a video for cleaning under the keyboard
Dragon
I would appreciate seeing a Display removal video as well. Thank You
We'll have a display take apart video up shortly. There are no plans currently for a PDF for this model.
vanessa
I would like to see the display removal as well as I intend to replace the upper body on my model. Could there be a PDF version as well?

Comment: