Home  >>  Laptop  >>  Apple  >>  iBook  >>  iBook G4 12" (A1133)

iBook G4 12" (A1133)

Approved On: 9/15/09
Description: This is an official Powerbookmedic.com take-apart guide for the 12" iBook G4 with model number A1133.
PDF Manual is also available

jim
My ibook g4 has 2 issues. 1.) the charger connector doesn't make good contact and therefore it won't charge the battery. Someone stepped on the connector front he charger, no longer round. 2.) If held just right it makes connection but it has been a year since last charge so battery doesn't seem to charge, even though I can get the ibook started. I think i need to change out the dc charger board, but wonder if the the battery will charge again. What do you think, should I just ditch this or try to fix. I really don't want to put a lot of time or money into this as I have a MacBook Pro.
Alicia
The pin in my charger broke off inside the charger/computer itself. I was able to use your videos to take apart the computer and take out the DC-in board and am able to get a closer look at the pin that broke off. Is there anything I can do from here to try and remove the pin?
@dan - I'm not sure I understand your issue. It sounds like you need a new battery. As far as a virus, there really isn't one you should be concerned about. I would just format and reinstall the operating system which you should do anyways whenever you purchase a used computer.
dan
My ibook4 g4 shows seen old battery my replacement new start computer on . it 'not charge at all . what did someone selling and buyer has been payment . I got my laptop . he said you paid what you got. My computer ever worse . terrible . virus . never return.
@Francis - trip them.
Francis Byrd
How can I stop runners
Karl J Engel
Excellent, what else can I say. Without your instruction Video I could not taken my iBook apart to replace the Hard drive. Thank you
Sondra
It looks like you sell the logic board for $400. My concern is getting the computer backed up. I need the recent info on it.
@Sondra - yes, but depending on how much the logic board costs.. it may not be cost effective to repair.
Sondra
Thank you. I take it that means there's nothing wrong with the LCD Screen and I need to take it to get repaired.
@Sondra - that is usually an error with the video chipset on the main logic board.
Sondra
My iBook 4 shows a red then blue then yellow screen (I think that's right) and then goes to grey. Every now and then it flashes my desk top at me, and I can see that it's working, I just can't see anything. Would it do me any good to take the LCD screen apart?
@prima - if it is a blank white screen, that is typically an issue with the display cable. If there is a picture but it is extremely dark, that is typically the inverter board or inverter cable, and if there is no screen at all that is usually the LCD or logic board.
prima
blank screen. how to fix it ?
@Marie - that is typically going to be an issue with the inverter board. It sits below the LCD. It may be disconnected or faulty.
Marie
OK so my computer works and all i can just barely see the screen. my friends say its the screen light, how do i fix that?
@penn - there is an inverter cable which controls the backlight that goes up through the hinge. The cable can get misaligned and the hinge can start pinching the cable at certain angles. You'll need to open up the machine and check the cable. It may be damaged to the point of needing replacement.
penn
does the lcd have a mercury type of switch. My screen lights and displays fine at 40 degrees but goes dark when opened all the way,
@becks - you'll probably need a new battery. If you have a friend with an iBook you can try their battery. If the battery doesn't fix it, it'll be the logic board.
becks
i have ibook g4 and my battery doesn't able to charge only work with charger???
@bob - you can try to dry it out, but if the liquid has dripped down to the logic board, it can cause tons of problems.
bob
What do I do if my iBookG4 gets wet on the keyboard?
@momo - it's not identical but there are a lot of similarities.
momo
Is the procedure identical for a 14" ibook? The hard drive is failing.
cyrille
SVEN ... who was behind your G4 ?
Letty
I was given a 12" IBook G4 without no charger. I bought a replacment charger & the computer buttoms that indicate how charged it is turned all the way on. Once I turned on the laptop the computer just flashed on & off. When it flashed on I could briefly see the log in screen. What do you think is wrong with it?
@sven - you can email a photo to repairs@powerbookmedic.com so we can see the extent of the damage.
Sven Duecenghorvesa
I shot my ibook with a hollow tip round from my S&W .44 magnum and it blew i'd say about 65%-70% of it away basically a large hole in the center of it. What parts do i need to get it repaired. Thanks, Sven "DUECES"
LC
Thank you SOOOOO much for these videos!!! Saved me a lot of time and money and most of all, stress. I could not have taken apart this computer and put it back together without you.
DV
At what point did he disconnect the Optical Drive from the Logic Board??
@Anand - your model most likely has the airport module which is towards the front left under the top case. It is the last product on the list to the right.
Anand Holtham-Keathley
I was checking on the airport card because I was getting no response. Lifting off the keyboard it does not look like the video. There is no airport card nor is there the recessed vented plated which goes over the RAM. Instead there is a flat vented plate. There does not appear to be any place to put an airport card but I need wireless for my classes. Email me at eekley at efn dot org.
ken
Hello, I have an ibook G4 and it does not respond or turn on. The original charger was damaged and I purchased a new one but it did not turn on before the new charger and doesn't turn on now. any thoughts?
Boza SRB
Hello, i bought ibook g4 12" second hand but without power adapter. When I put other adapter ibook couldn't start, there is only a sound from fun inside...What's the problem?
Keith
My son had his G4 ibook plugged in and on to a circuit when the GFI outlet servicing the circuit was reset. The surge shut off his computer and it won't restart. What part likely got fried? Is it repairable?
@Jill - you'll probably need to replace the keyboard. You can try popping off the keys and seeing if they repeat when you press on the nub underneath directly. If it repeats there, you'll need to replace the keyboard.
Jill
my "i", "j", and "c".....double sometimes when I type them.....I have blown air to free up any dust that may have lodged in keys.....do i need to replace my keyboard? also space bar doesn't always work either.....help if you can....thanks
JPL
I was wondering two things: One are you guys interested in buying a G4? It works very well still. Two I manually fixed my DC-IN Board. The power had stopped flowing from on the plugged in ent to the wired end and in the process it sparked and smoked. My guess is that I by passed something to get the power flowing again and I'd like a few theorys of what might go wrong in the future.
@Andrew - unless you can find someone that does component level repair on those boards, you'll need to replace the board. Either option may cost more than the machine is worth.
Andrew
Unforunately my trackpad cable was stuck fast in the module on the logic board, and the module came off with it. Options please?
Jay
Guys, are you from way down South? Anyway, the vids would be a lot better withOUT the annoying music.
@Baba - is your battery charging? The date is kept by the main battery so if it is dead, it'll keep resetting. And if it is dead, anything to cause the power adapter to lose contact will shut off the machine.
Baba
My iBook had the power adapter break off but I got it out. However after that my iBook will just turn off and then reset the clock. Any hints.
@OldSoul - if the battery is charging it is probably not going to be the dc-in board. it is most likely a dead logic board.
OldSoul
Many thanks, I used guide/vid to temporarily remove hard drive to get my files as my iBook would not and still not power on. No chime, lights, fans, sound, nothing - completely dead. Power cord good and battery charges but still nothing (both power another good iBook). I shorted the two metal pins where the power button cable connects to logic board and still nothing. Would love to hear if you had any further suggestions on anything else to try.
@Mel - if its just partially stripped you can usually just get a flathead under it, and try to pry it up while you unscrew it. If it is completely stripped, you can probably find some instructions on how to get out stripped screws online.
Mel
What if the screw under the magnet is stripped? I had someone else do work on it and apparently they failed to mention they didn't have the correct tools.
@ Clif - The battery foot is not available separately. You could also get another foot trim it down and superglue it, but that's not recommended.
Clif
Anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement rubber foot for the BATTERY? Still has grey plastic piece inside of the metal ring, but unclear on whether I can purchase the rubber foot part separately.
@Trevor - That is typically going to be an inverter board or inverter cable problem.
Trevor
My girlfriend's screen went very dark after dropping it. The computer still starts up and the video output works fine but when I try and brighten the LCD screen nothing happens. Any idea how I can fix this? Do you think I need a new display cable or screen?
@Jane - we sell the hard drive cable off the right. The only possible difference is some later models plug straight into the main board and have no cable.
Jane
I am wondering were I could get the connector for the hard drive, as I bought a ribbon which do's not seem to be able to connect at other end but I see in your video the hard drive connection is different
Ron
Chuck - Just a note. I used an iGo Juice for a few years with my wife's iBook and it continually caused problems. Twice I had those little tips actually break off inside the charger port and had to replace the DC-in board. My suggestion? Either get an OEM charger or at least one that isn't from iGo....
The last video covers most of that. There are just a few more screws to remove the clutch assembly.
CANTO
DO YOU HAVE A VIDEO TO REPLACE THE LCD FRAME
@Chuck - Yes, it is called the DC-IN Board. It is on the service part list to the right.
Chuck
My daughter damaged the charger and the point where it inserts into the I-Book, I thought it was just the power charger tip, but the I-Go power supply that used to work, does not, I think the little PC board that the chrger plugs into may be damaged as well, can I get that part?
Francisco Alvarado
@Lorren - you'll most likely have to replace the entire keyboard.
Lorren
The Q,W,E,R,T,Y,U,I an O keys well no longer type. This action just started at sametime. Can this be cleaned or must I replace the key board.
@Vince - This is usually caused by a broken or loose clutch assembly. It is not a fun repair.
Vince
I have a loose iBook G4 rear display housing. The lower edge of the rear display housing near the right fear leg of the hinge pulls away slightly from the bezel under a load, even while sitting open. You can push them back together but the next time you open or move the computer it pops back apart. What parts do I need to fix this issue? Thanks
@mike - you can replace the LCD directly without opening up the main body at all.
mike
to change the 12" LCD for an ibook g4 does the top case have to be removed at the hinge before starting the replacement or can the replacement be done with the hinge in place attached to the lower case?
cfast@eclipsead.com
to remove the bottom housing it is easier to start from the battery bay
@Dave - It is extremely difficult, but that machine really isn't worth spending the money for a new logic board, so if you really need it, you might as well try.
Dave
The Hardware test on my 14 inch iBook (late 2004) says my on board memory is bad. I do have experience soldering pcb's. Is replacement of the memory realistic?
@MGGardner - You have to remove the bottom case in order to remove the top case.
MGGardner
If I am replacing the hard drive can I remove only the top case? Or do I need to first remove the bottom case to be able to remove the top case? Santa is busy in his workshop and needs this answer quick!!!!!!
The early model iBooks have the airport card under the keyboard. The later models (1.33GHz and up) have an internal airport module that is not easily accessible.
Krystle
Why is the layout different in the video from the pdf guide. I'm trying to fix my boyfriends airport card and the pdf guide says the airport express card is where the ram is, but in the video it shows it inside the case. Does the a1133 use an airport extreme card?

Comment: