This is an official Powerbookmedic.com take-apart guide for the Kindle Touch with model number D01200.

25 Comments Parts Tools

3 weeks ago
@Mountain Mama - it sounds like you may need to. The button may be bad or disconnected.

Mountain Mama

3 weeks ago
I put in a new battery and ever since then, my Kindle Touch 5 button won't work. I've taken the battery out twice and waited a few minutes, then reinstalled. No luck. Will disassembling fix this problem? The only way I can get out of sleep mode is to plug it I not my computer for a few minutes, eject, then it works until it goes back into sleep mode again and I have to start all over with the computer. If this will work, I'm ready to try it but wanted to check with you guys first.

Jerel

Just so people know, the power button is part of display, not motherboard, and seems to be sealed. After I realized I had ordered the wrong part I sprayed contact cleaner into the button as best I could and reassembled. It's working but not well. Looks like a new Kindle is my only option since display is out of stock. BTW a reassembly video would be very helpful.

Lon

Many thanks to Chris & Stephan and powerbook medic of course. 30 minutes and $0 later, kindle power button works like a charm :)

RALG

thank you, I followed your steps and my Kindle is now back working! Amazing, I was lost without it :)

Chris

Ok , mine was the same as Stephens's , disassembled , cleaned contacts even though they looked clean , reassembled and all ok

Chris

@Chris - almost a complete disassembly I believe.

Chris

The power button on mine stopped working , how far do I have to strip it to access it ?

@kuechler - just follow along until you can take the battery out, then just go backwards from there. No need for a full disassembly.

kuechler

Do I have to disassemble the entire Kindle to replace the battery?

Nguyen

I just repaired my Kindle D01200 (suitcase fell on the screen). Used this video for the take apart and just reversed the steps to put it back once I got the replacement, but it works great now. Thanks!

Stephan

Power button stopped working on the unit, opened the device made sure there is no issue with residue on the contact points of the cable connected on the screen assembly to 4 points onto the motherboard. Screwed everything back together and the button worked perfectly again. Perhaps bad assemble in factory?

Federico

Great video!It was usefully!Many thanks!!

Clyne

Great video!! Thank you very much for all the details!

Eric Pageau

I just repair my Kingle touch with your part and your video. It work very well and thank you so much! Great!

Dennis

I am in no way a computer person but I follow directions well. My 20 yr old daughter and I followed the video and replaced my screen and everything works great. Thanks So MUCH!!!!!!!

Antoine

I replaced my screen with this video, buying their 2nd hand one. It works!!! The condition and shipping is superb and the video is very good as well. I recommend you to take the right screwdriver (so not ph0 it) and to be very carefull when removing the frame cause at the top and bottom they are little extensions that attach it to the rest of the case, they break easily.

Chris

Just used it to replace a screen that you supplied. Thanks!

sarath samarajeewa

excellent videory useful thank you

taylorres

YEAH!!! I just replaced my screen using this video....I just ran it piece by piece backwards to put it back together. IT WORKS!!!

taylorres

This looks awesome!! I am not sure on putting it back together but I have nothing to lose. I love my kindle and am so sad that I broke the screen.

wcos

This video was great! i am so glad i didnt waste my money on a paperwhite!

@gloria - we are slowly going back and making reassembly videos, but it may be some time.

r gloria

can you make a video putting it back together
Hide All