- Easily be 802.11 n !
The ExpressCard is a great way for MacBook Pro users to update their computers to the new 802.11 n draft! This means full compatibility with the new AirPort Extreme Base Station. The ExpressCard brings the 802.11n draft which has a high speed yield of 300 mbit/second (far better than the 802.11g standard). Additionally the range is increased up to 3 times the range of 802.11 g.
This is all thanks to improvements over the previous standard and MIMO technology. MIMO is Multi-Input Multi-Output, meaning both the Base Station (or Router) and the Mac (or PC) must have multiple antennas to employ something called “spatial-multiplexing”. This is most important in the speed department, think of it as having a 4 lane highway instead of a 2 lane highway, and having plenty of traffic for the former!
The computer industry as a whole is embracing this new draft proposal, unsurprisingly Apple is at the forefront by including it in their new Base Station. Also keep in mind that 802.11 b/g Macs will still work with your new Base Station, with the caveat that the Base Station is forced to adhere all connected Macs to the lowest standard on the network. This is exactly why having all older Macs (and PCs) up to the 802.11 n standard is the way to go!
*Please note, for full 802.11 N speed, all active wireless devices must be 802.11 N Draft 2.0 compliant.
* Complies with 802.11n Draft 2.0, 802.11g and 802.11b standards.
* Provides further coverage, less dead spot and higher throughput (Up to 300Mbps)
with MIMO technology.
* Supports WMM, WMM-PS and WMM-SA (IEEE 802.11e QoS standard).
* Supports 64/128-bit WEP, WPA (TKIP with IEEE 802.1x), WPA2 (AES with IEEE 802.1x)
for high security level.
* Supports WPS configuration.
* Supports operating system: OS X 10.4, Windows 2000/XP/XP64/Vista.
* Supports 32-bit Cardbus interface.
* 2.4ghz Capable only.