Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: MacBook Pro LCD Backlight dead
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:08 am 
I recently purchased a 15" MBP on eBay for cheap, with the description saying the backlight was not working. I figured it would be an easy repair (I read about bad inverters) so I purchased one and it turned out that it wasn't the problem. The MBP runs great-- everything else works. I can plug it into an external monitor to use it as a desktop. Even the backlighting on the keyboard works. I have also read that it could be that the CCFLs in the screen are dead, or it could be the logic board, but before spending a buttload trying to repair this thing, is there a way to figure out if it's the former or the latter?

Specs:
MacBook Pro (2,2) 2.33 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, ATI x1600 256MB

I don't believe it's the display cable, as it is still able to drive the iSight camera along with the screen itself (sans the backlight). I really wish I had more information, but the seller is a resale company who purchased the laptop from someone else.

The MBP is out of warranty (and I've read that logic board replacements can run the user up to $1300!) Thanks in advance for any advice!

Post subject: Re: MacBook Pro LCD Backlight dead
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

A backlight issue can be the LCD itself, the inverter board, the inverter cable, or the logic board. There really isn't a way to test it besides testing new parts.

Usually the inverter cable will only be caused by it being unplugged or damaged by broken hinges.

If you are getting a picture, it is rarely the logic board unless there was spill damage right near that connection.

Post subject: Re: MacBook Pro LCD Backlight dead
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 pm 
Thanks, Justin! Replaced the screen and to my surprise, it lit up and all is well now. (Except I accidentally broke the iSight while removing the old screen..that glue is tough!) Once I replace the iSight, I'll be an extremely happy camper. Thanks again! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]