Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Not enough energy - problem with magsafe board?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:58 pm 
I've been using my 17" MacBook Pro for about two months in what I call "limp" mode. It no longer charges batteries, and if I try to use it with the screen turned up to full brightness, it will shut down (by just turning off instantly) if I try to do anything that taxes the processor. It will work with my bus-powered USB external hard drive, but not if I turn up the brightness on the screen or do any really significant processing, like opening multiple photos in RAW format at one time, etc.

I'm thinking about changing the magsafe cable, but I can't imagine that is the real problem. The symptoms started happening when I had drained my battery, and when it was still warm, I plugged the computer in. As soon as it started charging, I turned it on, and as soon as it had booted up, I moved the computer across the table toward me. The magsafe cable pulled out, because I didn't have enough slack in the cable. Before it turned off on me, I quickly plugged it back in, and it didn't seem to light up all the way. This had happened once before, and unplugging it and plugging it back in seemed to fix it, so that is what I did this time. That little light on the magsafe connector has never worked at full brightness again. It's as if I'm using my airline power adapter. (You know, that one that looks like it would plug into a cigarette lighter plug in your car.)

The light on the magsafe connector still comes on, but only very dimly. I've tried other power adapters, thinking it was just my adapter or magnetic connector, but the one at the Apple store that I tried (was working with the 17" MacBook Pro on display) did not work any better than mine. I'm sure the problem is in the computer.

I don't see the magsafe board available to buy here. Does anyone have any ideas or know anything about my situation?

Post subject: Re: Not enough energy - problem with magsafe board?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yea it could be the magsafe board or possibly the logic board. I would definitely try the magsafe board first or send it off to get diagnosed professionally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 am 
Thanks Justin. If it's not the magsafe board, I'm SOL. I can't afford a new logic board. If it is a new logic board, and I have to get a new one, is there an upgrade that will let me put 4 gigs of ram in my machine? Mine is a 2.33 Ghz with supposedly only a 3 GB max. Mine has only the original 2 GB of RAM.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Nah only the Santa Rosa or newer machines offer more than 3GB.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]