Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: blank screen but key board lit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:12 pm 
I have no idea how this happend but for some reason my monitor is blank on my macbook pro. I have the 2.4 17" model 07. One day i opened it up and the screen was blank. The key board is still lit and all the bottons work including the caps and number locks. The sound button still makes noise when i hit it. I did try to hit the F1 and F2 but nada. When i close the book up the lite in front of the mac book brightens up, however when i open the book it goes dim. Also at first start up the board is lit up but if i close the book and open it again the board is off. WTF is going on with my mac book? Do ineed to get a new logic board? Warranty at this point is not an option, im at a location that does not allow me to walk into a store and have this repair. Please advise.

Best,
Paul

Post subject: Re: blank screen but key board lit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm 

What happens if you connect an external monitor?

On my system (2.16 version) i get your symptoms after OS updates. If you can get an external monitor working you might want to give them a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 pm 
Can i hook up my MBP to another MBP to see if its a monitor problem? and if so how do i go about in that? I am a total noob when it comes to things as such.

Thanks,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

If you can still make out a picture but it is extremely dark, that is usually going to be a problem with the inverter board or the inverter cable. If the screen goes dim before you actually completely close it, it is most likely the cable. Otherwise, it is probably the board.

We sell the inverter board for $49.95, but we do not currently sell the cable as that is only available with a complete display from Apple.

Post subject: very similar problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:10 pm 
I have a similar problem. My screen stays black, the apple on the front does not light up. Only half the time the keyboard lights do come on. The front light dims when I open the screen and brightens when I close it. Does that sound like the logic board?

I went ahead and bought the new Macbook Pro, but I still need to get my old one fixed. Is there any way I can get some info. off of my old hard drive onto my new mac? What would be the easiest way to do that since I can't see anything on the screen?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

As I said before, if it is completely black and you can't make out a picture, it is likely a logic board problem. If you can make out a picture but it is just extremely dark, it is something with the inverter in most cases.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]