Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Macbook Pro having Rrandom shutdown syndrome
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 am 
My mac book Macbook Pro 17, is having Rrandom shutdown syndrome. Where it just switches off without warning, completely randomly. I can expect it to happen at least once a day. Sometimes much more.

I am out of applecare, so I am looking at self repair. I have heard this could be a problem with the heat sink, expanding something on the logic board which creates a short circuit, the SMC then shuting down the computer. But no one seems to be certain.

This was said to be quite common in older Macbooks, with apple addressing this issue. But no real solution. If anyone has any advice on this problem it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: Macbook Pro having Rrandom shutdown syndrome
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:48 am 
Site Admin

For something like that, the best thing to do is take a look at the system log and try to find errors prior to the forced shutdown.

It is usually going to be a bad temperature sensor which could be the sensor itself which is part of the heatsink, the fans, or the connections on the logic board itself.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]