Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dropped MBP: No LCD Back Light or Apple Logo Light Now
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 pm 
My wife just dropped her MBP 15" and, as the title suggests, the LCD back light is not working but you can just barely make out that the LCD is still "good." The computer itself works just fine attached to an external monitor.

We also noticed that the Apple logo light on the back of the lid is out and (if we remember the working behavior correctly) the power button light isn't lit when the machine is on.

I thought at first that it was the LCD (back light), but now I'm thinking that it's the inverter.

Does that sound logical? Can a drop cause the inverter to need replacing?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Dropped MBP: No LCD Back Light or Apple Logo Light Now
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:12 am 
Site Admin

It is usually the inverter board so I would try that first, but it can also be the LCD itself, the inverter cable if the hinges damaged the cable during the drop or even the logic board but thats rare.

If you plan on doing it yourself, I would probably try the inverter board but if that doesn't fix it, I would think about getting it professionally diagnosed or you could be spending a hundred bucks on shipping charges and restocking fees.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 am 
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. I'll take it apart tonight and have a look at the cable. If I don't see any problems there, I'll place an order for an inverter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:47 pm 
Well, I just took it apart and buzzed out the cable going to the inverter and everything there checks out. In the process, I re-seated all the display connectors, but the back light is still a no-go.

I'll place the order for the inverter and once I have it installed, I'll post again with my findings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 pm 
Crud.

Well, it's apparently not the inverter. I should have gone with my gut. I don't see how that could have been the issue after suffering a drop test. But it was a relatively cheap shot, I suppose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]