Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mysterious Pismo problem-- what do I need to replace now??
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:42 pm 
Hi all,

I'm having issues with my Pismo, and can't seem to figure out what might be causing them, even after leafing through the posts here.

The problems started when my logic board got fried (long story). I replaced it with a logic board I bought here. After the computer was reassembled, I hit the power button, heard the chime, and then-- nothing. Blank screen. The battery wasn't charging, either, so I removed it and am running on AC power. Since the initial blank screen startup, I've had many more similar incidents, interspersed with occasional boots in which the backlight comes on and the computer starts in firmware mode (followed by crashes). This morning, after a night of unplugged rest for the Pismo, I was finally able to boot from a CD-Rom. I replaced the system folder on the hard drive, ran disk repair, selected "hard drive" as my startup disk, crossed my fingers, and rebooted. And now there's nothing again-- just the startup chime, faint whirring, and no backlight. Can't start from CD-Rom either. I'm at a loss for what to try next, since it seems to start sometimes and refuse at others!

Sorry about this long post, but if anyone has any advice, I would be -immensely- grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:34 pm 
Okay, I got it to boot once as a target disk on my 17" Al. Ran TechTool deluxe, and it said my "clock chip" had something wrong with it that could be either software or harware related-- TechTool couldn't fix it. Is the clock chip related to the clock in the menubar, or the clock speed of the processor? (Can y'all tell I don't really know the first thing about what's on my daughterboard?)

I also got the computer to boot from a CD once, initialized the hardware, and reinstalled the system software. I think I forgot to completely zero out the hard drive however, so maybe I should try again? At any rate, the computer hasn't come on since-- back to the startup chime/black screen/ whirring cd-rom and hard drive scenario. *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:38 pm 
You might want to try posting your problem at another forum like Macnn.com or macworld.com and see if you get a response there.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:45 pm 
Thanks Rob... I will try both your suggestions, as the Pismo is still ailing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:18 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like a processor / daughterboard issue as you have the symptom known as BNV (Bong no video) The way to fix in most circumstances is to replace the daughtercard / processor (same board)

If indeed it is your processor, you may want to consider an upgrade. We are now offering G4 550MHZ upgrades (complete kits) for the Pismos at the link below:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/c ... hp?cat=341

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]