Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: HD Upgrade For 12 Aluminum PowerBook G4?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:47 pm 

Folks,

My Brother-In-Law has a 12" PowerBook G4 that suits him just fine except for the smallish size of the internal HD. So we figure that all we need to do is obtain an 80 Gb (PowerBook size, of course) and install it.

Question: Is there a take-apart manual on how to open the case of the Aluminum 12" PowerBook? I'm thinking that this should be a pretty simple procedure as we've replaced dozens of hard drives in the past, it's just that we don't want to disassemble more of this PowerBook than we need to.

Thanks,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:41 pm 

The 12" Powerbook no longer is user serviceable for hard drives, doing so will void warranty. There are disassembly guide on the net, but is NOT very easy to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:54 pm 

I have done this procedure on my 12" aluminium Powerbook. As the previous poster mentioned, it is not the simpliest procedure ever, thought it's not open heart surgery either...I think. It took me a good 50minutes all told. The disassembly walkthrough I used is here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/powe ... m#storytop

My advice is this: Get a parts tray...get several. there are *many* screws, phillips AND allen involved in this process. They're nearly all tiny and incredibly hard to find if dropped. Once you remove the keyboard, be doubly careful. When the guide suggests tweezers, get them. I stole a pair from the woman's nail collection of absurd torture devices. I went from a 30gb to an 80gb Toshiba drive I had from a dead Dell. Worked great. I've also done this on a 15" aluminium pb now as well. Feel free to email if you have specific quesitons. Guide is pretty good, but at times I thought it would be nice to ping someone who'd at least seen the innards before. 8)

love,
shmoo
shmoo@shmoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

The 12" is not very difficult to get into ( no more so than an iBook). We'll have a manual available for it shortly (within 1-2 weeks) You can use any hard drive upgrade from the link below in that unit...

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/cu ... hp?cat=256

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]