Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo Powerbook Won't Power Up
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:11 pm 
Can any one help me with this ? I just bought a new used powerbook, and it won't power up. (Can't return it either).

Using the AC adapter, and the battery (which still holds a charge), then pressing the power button, the lights comes on, and the keyboard lights are on, but won't power up the whole system for some strange reason.

Anyone know what this can be ?

-Any thoughts greatly appreciated

-Maxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:34 pm 

Try a PMU (power management unit) reset... remove the ac and battery.

On the back of your Pismo, there's a little button on the far right (when looking at the back) in between the monitor and modem ports. It has a little sideways triangle for a label.

Using a pen or something, and again, with everything unplugged, press and hold that button for 5 seconds. Then wait for 5 seconds, plug in ac (leave battery out still) and see what you get.

You might even do that a couple of times.

When it's plugged in and battery is in, does the battery light up indicating charging?

I had a similar problem and ended up with a new processor... but it could be something else in your case.

Try to startup with just the battery or just ac. Find out about the battery charging thing. Do some PMU resets. Post your results here..

At that point you may have to open your Pismo up and try to reset the CPU (not terribly hard, but can be difficult for the faint of heart!)

Usually if it's PMU issues, the most you'll have to do is reset the PMU and leave the unit unplugged for a day or unplug the internal battery to get it completely reset.

Anyway, just give those other things a try and let us know where you are at then!
Joe

Post subject: Pismo Continued
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:57 am 
Well, thanks Maz for your reply. I tried everything, it won't start still. I took it to a dealer to have him check it out the other day, and he said it's a dead motherboard or dead CPU module. I'll just leave this machine lying in the dust and collect some left over money and buy a new one later on....

Thanks to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:18 am 

You may want to try to sell it on ebay, I have seen a few offers to sell rceently where the powerbook is in a nonworking state with smashed screen, no adapter, battery or hard disk or ram.

Post subject: power up wallstreet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:08 pm 
hi my wallstreet has a prblem in that it powers if you hold the reset button, an dlet go of the poerbutton, it will start the harddrive and lite the led for a second, then it goes dead

Before if it crashed you needed the ac adapter to restart it, it couldn't restart on battery alone, now it wont restart at all

Any Ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:51 pm 

How do you reset the CPU on a Pismo? Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:21 am 
i'll take it for parts. i hav a boring wallstreet and a destroyed ibook. theres a 900mhz processor that would blow my ibook out of the water....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:29 am 
Site Admin

If your Pismo won't boot, one of the first things you should try is to unplug the PRAM battery from the logic board. The Pismo will turn on without the PRAM connected, however if you have a bad PRAM, this can prevent your unit from booting sometimes. This is usually the first thing you want to try. If this does get your booting again, then you need to replace your PRAM battery. We sell the part at the link below:

Pismo / Lombard G3 PRAM:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/c ... t=0&page=1

-Bradley

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]