Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Don't Laugh Too Hard
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:40 pm 

Okay, here is my problem. A few days ago, I installed Airport Extreme cards in two laptops: 1) iBook 700 mhz G3 14", 2) Powerbook 500 mhz G3 Pismo. I hear someone laughing already. :lol: Of course, what I did not know is that the Airport Extreme card is not compatible with EITHER of these computers.

The Pismo does not show ANY sign of life despite 5 rapid compressions of the space bar and one breath up the USB port. Though nothing shows on the monitor, the iBook 700 mhz shows faint signs of life. The cap lock light comes on and so does the number lock light. A few minutes later I noticed that the case was hot so I removed the battery. Around this time I developed a taste for gun metal. Who is that laughing? :lol:

Anyway, since then I have learned a lot about laptop repair. One of the things that I learned is that the Airport slot is connected to the logic board. Rats! And that replacing logic boards is very expensive. I also found a couple of helpful do it yourself guides. Replacing the logic board on the Pismo appears to be substantially easier than replacing the board on the iBook. Am I right? Additionally, the iBook part is expensive by itself. True?

My question is: What would you do? I am starting to think that I should break down the two laptops and sell them as parts. Or, do you think that I should be a masochist and scour Ebay for used logic boards and atempt to do the install?

What I did not tell you is that the I purchased the iBook used on Ebay as a Christmas present for my 13 year old daughter. The cost was $430 plus shipping.Because I suddenly found myself with no Christmas present for my daughter I immediately got back on Ebay and purchase ANOTHER used iBook 700 mhz, this time a 12" model. The cost was $413 plus shipping. It arrived today. The good news is that it came with the Airport card already installed. Whew!!!!

So what do you think. Do I fix 'um or sell 'um? Do I at least fix one? Or do I just chalk it up to experience? Lastly, am I the only one to ever have this problem? True story. Anyone still laughing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

The first thing I'd try is to replace the airport connector on either laptop. It could be that you shorted out both connectors and those are preventing your logic boards from proceeding in the boot process. One way of testing this theory is to go to the Pismo, and remove the modem. Under the modem is an orange cable connected to the logic board ( airport connector cable) Undo this from the logic board and see if the unit starts up. If it does, then that proves the theory. Otherwise you are probably looking at logic board replacement.

All parts are available from us including the connectors. Some less common parts may not be up on our store, but we stock everything, so if you can't find a part just email support@powerbookmedic.com and we'll get you what you need.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]