Home  >>  Laptop  >>  Apple  >>  MacBook  >>  MacBook 13" (A1278)

MacBook 13" (A1278)

Approved On: 9/10/09
Description: This is a video manual for the 13" MacBook Unibody.

To get more info as well as detailed images of the display glass replacement, click here.

julia
1 week ago
i accidentally ripped out a little black strip with 2 white stripes on it, 2 spots away from where my track pad is plugged in, anyone know what its called and what its used for?
KRUNAL
3 weeks ago
i have macbook pro,the prob is water drope on board.the board turn on gose off.so what's the prob ?
Arun
I took out one of the cabels connecting to the logic board (the second one that you took out in the video) and I dhave tried numerous times to get it back it, but it doesn't go back. It feels like its only going in part way when I do it. Can you help me?
Jarl
I was replacing g the thermal paste, but afterwards , I realized that I lost a pin inside the SATA connector on the Logic Board for the Optical drive. The optical drive powers on but no data is getting through. Is it possible to purchase only this component from PowerBook Medic as I could carefully solder a new one back onto the logic Board myself. Otherwise, I'll need an entirely new Logic Board.
Igor
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was the wifi. I broke the connector, is there a place I can buy the little plastic connector for it? Otherwise is there any way you can tell me what the order of wires is? Left to right on the connector. I could just solder it to the board... Difficult to tell in the video.
@igor - that is the microphone cable.
Igor
I am having difficulty finding the part for for the long cable that connects to the back of the logic board. (The last one removed in the video) I messed up the connector, is there anywhere I can find a plastic connector, and what component are these cables from? I think its from the wife airport antenna.
@d - the intro did not mention removing the top case and keyboard. The keyboard comes with the top case on these models and it requires a complete disassembly to get to the top case which this guide does cover getting to that point.
d
what a load of crap. a 31 second introduction to replacing topcover and keyboard on MacBook a1278 but no video showing how to do it
@Firas - There isn't a good way to remove it without getting some glass fragments. You'll just want to use a flat tool and some suction cups just to get it started, then you'll want to start removing it in the biggest pieces possible preferably while over a trash can so the glass doesn't get everywhere.
Firas
My display glass is cracked from the top left corner spreading all over the glass. I'm afraid the suction technique wouldn't work since that all corners are cracked as well! Could you please tell me the best method to have the glass removed without having it shattered every where? Thanks guys.
@Ricardo - it is very very rare for the hard drive to cause a video problem. It should at least come up with the Apple logo on boot. You most likely have multiple issues. You can request a repair quote to speak to one of our techs and once you get that started you can send pictures to that tech.
Ricardo Andrés Rodríguez rincon
Please give me your e Mail to send u The picture
Ricardo Andrés Rodríguez rincon
Good night , I have that laptop and yesterday ir happened that my brother had let it fallen down against the floor. Now it is a mess because in The córner it recieved the strenght of The impact , córner in which it's located The hard drive ( I guess) . The impact Also affected The screen I have The picture but i do not how to explain it I guess that it still works because there is not plasma ink everywhere but it is broken in The córner it has one líne 1 inch of fragmentation. The problem increases because while I turn it on it begins to sound wierd a nasty alarm that i supposse it has to do with The hard drive and it Also is a white led smaller than The other one which I know is for hibernation. I have The following question , if There is something wrong with The hard drive it does not let The screen to turn on?
@Kevin - it should be fairly visible in the video. If you don't think you can do it, you can send it to us to repair.
Kevin
I need to replace the battery cable in my 2008 unibody 13" Macbook. I can't figure out how to access the cable. Can anyone help? Thanks!
@Djan - we don't have a pinout for that. It is best to try a new battery and if that doesn't work, a new logic board. We offer a free diagnosis if you'd rather send it to us to figure out the issue.
Djan
I spilled sweet white wine on my macbook pro, hd was damaged, I replaced it, can't work from the battery since, I took it to the genius store, they told me the logic board needs to be replaced, how can I check if my battery/logic board is indeed broken, what voltages should i be reading on the pins on the logicboard where my battery connects.. Thanks! regards, Djan
@Michael - it is most likely a fried logic board. You can send it to us for a diagnosis or you can open it up yourself and look for corrosion damage.
Michael
I have a macbook A1278. Kids spilled apple juice on it. I was not told. they dried it up and left it for a day or so. Anyway it does nothing. The charger is working I have tested on other macs. However the macbook is dead no lights not fan sounds nothing. What do I need to do? I have repaired several pc laptops in my day so I am going to venture into repairing this mac. What is the likely problem? Where do I start?
Devon
my Macbook had beer spilled on the keyboard and now it wont turn on. nothing happens when I push the power button. when dissasembling the laptop I could not find any corrosion or signs of damage on the logic board itself but I did find rust on the screws that hold tge keyboard in. when attaching the power adapter the light is green. was just wondering if a short in the keyboard could stop the computer from turning on and is it possible to turn it on with components (like the keyboard) not connected.
@John - the keyboard is part of the top case, so you'll need to replace that. Be sure to check for corrosion damage on the logic board while you are in there.
John Barnhill
also trying to repair from a spill. can I just replace the keyboard? There is no damage that got thru the black film protecting the machine?
@Erik - yes, it is in the part list to the right.. top row.
Erik
Do you have the item I would need to purchase?
@Erik - thats most likely the case.
Erik
I had a customer who spilled liquid on his A1278 Unibody aluminium. I replaced the logic board and still does not get any power. Would you assume the keyboard palmrest that has the power button attached inside would also need to be replaced?
@Robert - that should be the battery indicator light cable.
Robert T
Sorry, that's 1:02 - 1:10 of the Logic board removal video.
Robert T
What is the cable that is being removed from 1:02 - 1:10? I have slightly damaged that cable and need to find a replacement?
Victor
Hello, I have removed the connecting cables to the Superdrive within my 2008, 13" Macbook Aluminum Unibody. The Superdrive is currently broken & in an attempt to have a quieter machine (it clicks loudly when awakes from sleep mode) I thought I could disable it. In doing so, I can no longer use WiFi & when clicking on the Network Icon, I receive the message "No Airport card installed". Is there a way that I can disable the Superdrive, but have full functionality of the computer?
@hey - all of our videos are on youtube as well.
hey
did you know that youtube pays you intensives to put your videos on youtube, you better start uploading all these to youtube just a thought.
Srinivas
Hi, my sister's late 08 aluminum unibody macbook does not turn on anymore, and when she plugs in her charger, the light flickers a low intensity yellow/green alternate flashing. We took it to Apple and they looked at it and said it was probably a problem with the logic board. Would we be able to send in the logic board to you for repair?
@Jay - that sounds like it is probably the LVDS display cable. You may want to send it to someone to diagnose or go inside yourself and look for damage.
Jay
Hi there, my screen goes negative and doesn't respond unless I tilt the screen and hold the back of the screen. Is this a hardware problem?
Eric
I have a screen that is constantly losing connection. The image will lag in and out when the screen is moved or placed at certain angles. Im almost 100% sure that its a bad lvds cable (or getting pinched). Would you recommend replacing the cable, and how difficult is it to take screen apart ( the problem area seems to be spot where the cable connects to the screen). Thank you
@Robert - it is probably a damaged LVDS cable. These models really didn't have separate inverters since they are LED-backlit. I would just take a look at the LVDS cable and see if it is getting pinched or damaged somewhere.
Robert
Sorry also if i hook the crack lcd back up it just flickers once like the new lcd and thats is.
Robert
I had to replace the lcd in a 13.3 black macbook. The laptop is not mine and the owner droped it. If you turn it on the old cracked screen lit up like there was a image and it did the boot up sound. The external display on the logic board is damage because of the drop so i cant hook up a external display to see anything. After i installed the replacemet the screen just flickers one time and the computer boots up with the sound. Question is there something i am not doing or maybe the inverter board or inverter cable is bad as well. Any ideas any thing would help thanks.
@Junior - yes you can.
Junior
CD is stuck inside, can I take the laptop apart and take it out manually?
heybates
This video was invaluable to me while replacing my LCD panel. I used it with a step-by-step guide, and together they really helped me. Thanks, guys!
@MA - I would suspect the display cable. Vertical lines are typically the display cable or the logic board.
M.A Solih
Someone could please reply to my previous post?
M.A Solih
There are many users with the same exact problem - wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcomSLASHwatch?v=Kd3Fvka71Gc
M.A Solih
I have got two 1 inch black lines (like pixel distortion) showing vertically on the display of my MacBook Unibody A1278. Once I tap on the display or press a bit, the lines are no longer there but at a later time they reappear. I know the LCD is fine but assume it is a problem with the video cable that connects the LCD to the logic board. I tried to unplug and plug in the cable to the logic board and still no difference. I mailed the Authorized Apple Service Provider here and they are asking nearly US$900 for the entire display assy and labor cost which is really confusing. The LCD is fine for sure or else it will not correct itself after tapping, right? May be a faulty LDVS cable, I guess. Please I need assistance. Thanks
David
Thankyou ! I unplugged the display cable and plugged it back in and it works great now. thanks
@David - that can happen if something is pinching the display cable. You can check the display at different angles and see if it fixes it, that would be a good indicator.
David
My 13" Macbook display is showing up teal rather than displaying off white colors. This has happened before and it corrected itself. Do you have any suggestions on how I can repair it?
@Stacey - i'm sure you can, but I meant directly from Apple.
Stacey
Actually you can buy a replacement keyboard on ebay. Just have to look around.
@James - the keyboard really isn't intended to be removed in this model, as you can't order just the keyboard and it only comes already assembled onto the top case. If you do want to remove it, it involves about 40 small little screws on the underside of the top case.
James
how bout one that explains how to remove the keyboard
@John - the A1286 uses PC3-8500 SODIMM chips.
John
hi, I have this model of mac and would like to know what RAM type i need to upgrade my 2GB current RAM to 4GB. Please help me Powerbook Medic
Rich NZ
What about the video that show how to remove the screen assembly from the main body of the laptop? It just goes from mag safe removal to to taking the screen apart.
@Rich - most likely that's the problem yes.
Rich NZ
Thanks, been researching the net and have heard it could be the LVDS cable. Does it sound like this could be the problem? Appreciate your help.
@Rich - typically vertical lines will be a cabling issue, but it isn't a guaranteed thing.
Rich NZ
Hi, i believe my screen has been damaged. It has a big line running up it but if i move my screen around it changes color and can also disappear. Does this mean it is a connection/cable or does it sound like LCD damage? Thanks
@Diego - LED just describes how the backlight works compared to the older CCFL type, every screen on a laptop is still an LCD. As for the display cable, Apple has never sold them separately, so you'll have to find a used one or buy a complete display.
Diego
excuse me, i want to change the screen of my mac, but the screen that you buy, the 13.3" MacBook Unibody Display LcD Screen, is lcd, not LED, and the catalog say that screen dont have the video cable, how i can buy these cable? the video cable of my screen is damage, if i purchase these screen i can repair my macbook? thanks
@Nick - on which video? these comments are combined for the entire manual.
Nick
How do you reinsert the cable at 38 Sec. ?
@Max - the keyboard is built into the top case. You'll have to replace the top case, and that should fix the battery indicator as well.
Max
hi, i had a coffee with milk thrown on my keyboard of my !1278 MacBook and after some days the light of the battery charge does not work any more and the keyboard has strange problems with the shift keys (sometimes the keys are uppercase even if all lights are off and there is no button pressed) also the on screen keyboard shows that shift is pressed even if it is not. i did not find the keyboard replacement video and i am not really confident in buying the spare and doing the change without the video... any pointers? thanks
Mike
Thanks will try that
@Mike - that's a weird one. I would try reseating the trackpad cable. It may be only partially connected. After that I would try a mouse just to make sure it works for that.
Mike
I replaced my magsafe board and put everything back together but now my track pad does not work fully. It will not control the cursor but the click works. I check the only cable attached to it and it is firmly in place. Is there another part that controls the cursor movement?
Christian
@PowerbookMedic - Sorry I thought comments were specific to the video. It's in the Logic Board Removal video. Around the 00:20 second mark. I think it's the cable for the keyboard backlight, but I'm not sure.
@Christian - in which video segment? I'm not seeing any cables being unplugged in the first three clips.
Christian
Does anybody know what the first cable that was unplugged is used for (around the 00:20 second part of the clip)?
@Jarrod - Apple doesn't sell those cables separately so there won't be a part number. You'll have to find a used one which we don't carry yet or buy a complete display.
Jarrod
I have a 13" Alu Unibody A1278. I'm having video problems on my screen that come & go as i move the screen. I think I need a new LVDS cable. Can you tell me the model # and where I can purchase one?
@ Bill - No, to replace the clutch cover and hinge you do not need to remove the glass.
Bill
I'm trying to replace the hinge and clutch cover from my Macbook 13" unibody. Do I need to removed the glass panel from the display to do this to get to the clutch cover and hinge screws?
@ Ronald - Yes, you have to remove the logic board to replace the magsafe board.
Ronald Molenaar (NL)
Is it neccesary to remove the LogicBoard complete, to replace the Macsafe?
David
How about instructs on changing the keyboard?
Jacob Ashiono Lusichi
Am try to get mac book alluminium inverter that has failed in a clients machine.

Comment: