Home  >>  iPod  >>  Apple  >>  iPod Nano 5th Gen  >>  iPod Nano 5th Gen (A1320)

iPod Nano 5th Gen (A1320)

Approved On: 9/21/09
Description: This is an official Powerbookmedic.com take-apart guide for the iPod Nano 5th Generation with built-in camera.

3 weeks ago
@Joe - you'll most likely need to replace the LCD. If you plan on repairing it yourself, you may want to check out everything else inside too for any corrosion damage.
Joe
3 weeks ago
I accidently washed my Ipod A1320 it still works great, but the LCD display screen ii dim what can I do?
iPod
fais pour suprimer les photo
rich
how do i turn of internal speaker
Ipod out of memory, won't play anymore
Ipod won't play. Last time I downloaded a song, said it was out of memory. I deleted albums, and still, won't play. I reset it -and it will allow me to pick a song, but when you hit select, nothing happens. I have it siting in a dock.
bob jones
Mine is stuck on the apple logo. Tried the menu/select trick but no go. Any thoughts?
@Moe - we fix them here, but it is hard to say if it is repairable until we get it here and open it up and look at the damage.
Moe
I got all the way to the part of the camera, but got stuck at removing the "led light". There are 2 round objects separated by an oblong white plastic object, presuming the 1 closer to the end is the camera/lens itself and the other a mic (maybe). Which one is the LED light? What does it look like? Is it the oblong white object, or is it 1 of the 2 round objects. This is a great video BTW. My ipod nano 5th G got saturated in carrot juice on my way to the gym. I did not discover this for about an hour. Trying to take apart to see if I can clean it up. I'm sure it is different with water vs. sweet carrot juice w/pulp. I tried the rice thing but it did not work. If all else fells is there place I can to have it repaired? Thanks much!
Miguel Gómez
excelente
@Azael - it is most likely the headphone board. We sell it in the parts list to the right. Worst case scenario is the logic board.
Azael Cam
i have a 5th generation ipod nano, when i play music on it the sound is staticy and distorted plus, when headphones are unplugged the speaker is so quiet i hav e to put it up to my ear to hear a sound i dont mind the speaker but can the static playback be fixed?
Artmontes
Video did not mention spring and small rod that fell out when I removed the wheel. It also failed to caution on the small white plastic "logic board" clip that also fell out and where to replace it.
rehan
wow
Tim
97 comments and no mention of the copious amounts of glue or tape holding things together and keeping them from moving?? The one we just took apart had so much that couldn't be gotten to that it was impossible to do without damaging things. :-/
@Prohackerlisbon - if the switch itself operates fine, it is most likely the logic board itself.
@Michael - it is either the battery or the logic board.
Prohackerlisbon
So , already open my ipod just on top and the lock sistem is great but it won´t unlock ! What should i do ??
Prohackerlisbon
Please help ! My IPOD lock button is locked for ever , what should I do ?
Michael
My Nano G5 suddenly quit charging? Is it the battery? I had just used it all day a few days earlier. I plug it into the charger. The hold button is off, and the click button does nothing. There is not even a back light.
Jolly
@Powerbook i can record video & play back: without though. That's another thing i've noticed. I can only record using my nokia jack plug ear/mic phone. I think that's d only way i can get audio on recorded videos . Secondly, i've tried so hard 2 get my songs outta dat ipod & into my pc, 4 BACKUP sake, since d guy is acting sick (i mean my ipod). Anyway i use windows 7 basic. I guess vista should help me wit that, but i can't downgrade...My pc won't let me. I just can't process all these anymore... That's y i'm placing it on d "pro's-table" thanks Powerbook M.
@Jolly - I would try to reset the ipod with itunes. otherwise, the videos may be incompatible. check and see if you can record something and play it back.
Jolly
Hey peepz! Wat's up? Pls can some1 help me wit my A1320... It's has never played a video. Regardless d fact i got 3gp videos on it. When i press play, it enters 'play ' mode but never plays... It just remains blank. I'm so fraustrated.
@Joe - you'll most likely need to replace the logic board.
Joe
the cable i have came apart and the colour wires that were soldered came off. I tried reattaching and i ended up mixing the wires. When i connect to the computer itunes does not pop up at all, i can only recharge the ipod and thats it. What do i have to replace to get it working properly. Thanks
@Tonny - you'll typically need to replace the headphone board.
Tonny
Hey I have a problem with my Nano 5g ipod. At first I used to get sound from both earphones but now its only one working. I have tried other earphones but its not working. What can I do?
@dranreb - I'm not sure what issue you were having. You may want to request a repair quote from the Send-in Mac Repair link at the top and one of our techs will respond to you.
dranreb
I have nano 5th gen. the problem is didnt work. i buy a new 1 to replace it but still it didnt work. the worst is it isnt responding at all. any one ca help me? thank you.
DeLuca2400
I have seen videos on how to install flash memory cards on older ipod videos and i was wondering if I could add a 32 gb flash card to my ipod nano 5g and if I can will I be able to use all 32 gb?
@Devendra - that would typically be a LCD issue.
DEVENDRA DALAL
SUP UP..ULTIMATE..HOW TO SOLVE BACKLIGHT PROBLEM ?
genelinux
wonderful now can i repair my ipod 5th
leander
i've got this second hand nano 5g i-pod. but i washed it about 10 days ago, it works perfectly fine but only the battery wont charge anymore, it will show me it is charged after leaving it plugged in for a long time but as soon as i disconnect it it will show me it is out of battery. i think it has something to do with water in the battery or logic board, would it be worth a shot trying to take it apart and see what is wrong with the battery? i know i can trust myself doing this or at least my father, thanks.
B-Fat
hey man. my headphones dont work like they should. i get sound from both the speaker and the headphones. but the speaker is louder. i need some help man.
@Dottie - we don't have a source for owners manuals, but Apple may have a digital version available for free on their support site.
Dottie
I just bought an ipod model #a1320 (looks just like the one your working on above and it's a 16) at a pawn shop but he did not get the owners manual with it, would you be kind enough to guide me in the right direction to get one? Thank you very much!!! Dottie / Rhode Island
@Candice - that is typically the battery itself. Unfortunately with these, the battery is soldered onto the logic board.. so you'll need to solder a new one or replace the whole logic board with battery.
Candice
Hi, fascinated you watching taking a nano apart! Wouldn't trust myself, maybe my partner could do it...... My Nano 5th gen seems to run out of battery very quickly, what can I do? Many thanks
@Jacky - It is most likely the logic board if I am understanding you correctly.
Jacky
how can i result the problem of volume so i think this is a problem touch. please tell me what i have to do
@kim - you should be able to find a digital copy online from Apple, but if you need an original printed one, you'd probably have to go through eBay.
kim
I was given a ipod model #a1320 I need a owners manuel how do I get one
@Steve - most likely the clickwheel just needs to be reseated. It may be off of alignment so its not pushing the button smoothly.
Steve
My iPod a1320 menu button Is hard to press ever things else works perfectly fine just it take some force and a couple try's to get back to the menu
At-Roals
I formated My Ipod and some of the program disapied
jayleena
mine worked fine this mornen now it has no response & screen is black. i can plug it in & still nothing.
@mark - i would guess the flash memory has gone bad. You'll probably need a new logic board.
mark
hey guys please help my ipod A1320 has no free memory its 0kb. . i dont know why but theres no files or music install!! and wheni connect it to my pc it can't read. . please help
@Damita - i would try restoring it in itunes just to rule out a software issue. After that it is probably an issue with the clickwheel
Damita holland
When I press the play button on my ipod, nothing happens. If I press play again, it resets. Any idea what causes that? The click wheel turns fine, it's just the center button that doesn't seem to work.
Raja
Thank you... Provided good information about a1320 ipod
ranjani
superb explanation... thank q
@pierrette - it would typically be either the logic board or the car connector.
pierrette
My Ipod a1320 is having problems with volume when used in my car with a connector...which part would I have to replace?
Jmac
My ipod nano was working fine with audiobook playing, then it started making a steady 'motorboat' style sound. When connected to my computer it is no longer recognized by the computer. Any comments?
danks
i forgot my screen lock code of a1320
prease herp
It is like my ipod wont charge. Blank screen. Worked, then two months later nothing
@martinico - i'm not sure exactly what you mean, but if it is running slow, I would restore it in iTunes to start it fresh.
martinico
my ipod need fix speed but i don´t know how.I need restart standart position
@Nick - if recovery mode doesn't work, the only other thing i've seen work before replacing hardware is letting the battery drain completely and see if that resets it. otherwise, you'll probably need a new battery or logic board.
Nick
hey my ipod touch is stuck in the restart loop! help! i plug it in to the computer, turns on(apple logo), flashes the menu, then shuts off. i've tried restarting it and putting it into disk mode. doesnt work. please help! :(
rox
sweet as pie well done
jmuniz
This is great, it's amazing how this works view how to take apart my 5th gen nano thanks
von Klinkahoffen
i put mine through the wash and i followed the instructions given and dried it now it works thank you
Einzee
Nice video! The device in the video is obviously a demonstration piece because there are scratch marks from previous disassembly. It seemed that the instructor became impatient at the 6:00 mark because things were falling out and he was being rough on the ribbon cables LOL! Great vid tho :)
Tehsin boss
mine ipod nano 5th gen. is not getting connected .once when i held it upside down it got connected but now it is not getting connected.
@vivi - you should be able to sync your iPod to iTunes and get any media off of it
@dawit - this guide should show you how to disassemble your model
vivi
how do i get my videos off my ipod nano
dawit
how to dissasambel ipod nano 8gb a1320
@ mollie - Your best bet is professional diagnosis in that case. Give us a call at 1-866-726-3342, option 2.
mollie
mine won't turn on or charge or connect to itunes. but i dont wanna take it to pieces what do i do?
Bruce
Looks very daunting, how about a put-back-together guide?
@jason - if its syncing to itunes, it may just be a software issue and you need to reset it to factory defaults, but most likely its a problem with your dock connector.
jason
just got mine from a friend when hooked to computer i can not earse the songs that are on it nore can i add more please help
@Aleuri - the video shows this around the 3 min mark.
Aleuri
OK so my iPod's nano 5g click wheel is broken and can you please make a video on how to replace it ... please reply and tell me if you can make one!!!!!!
MuttMaster
My Ipod nano A1320 died and won't charge. Is it the battery?
Tracy H
Even though my iPod nano is locked when I put my headphones in or put it in the docking station it turns itself on even though still locked, why is this?
hayssaz
i am not able to get my menu on my a1320 except for ok to disconnect, help please
@sarah - If you are having trouble seeing your iPod in iTunes, you may want to try restoring it to factory defaults.
sarah
i am not managing to view my video files on my pc
@tenzing - have you tried rebooting it by holding up and select? if it is still saying that and it is not connected, you most likely have a logic board problem which won't really be repairable feasibly.
tenzing
@Reggie - I would try another pair of headphones first, but most likely something is either blocking the connection inside the jack or the jack is dead.
Reggie
When I plug my headphones in, I still here music through the IPOD internal speakers. What is causing this?
@ray - if nothing ever comes on the screen, it is probably the logic board. if you get a low battery warning, you may just need a new battery.
ray
my ipod doesn't turn on reset and does not appear in my compuer or i tunes what do i do?
@Tony - most likely repairs will cost as much as a new ipod as the logic board is probably dead.
Tony
my ipod has been affected by seawater, is it likely that it can be repaired
Ronnie
Cool video, I'm sure I could take it apart following that tut, but not sure I could get it back together!
@tyler - you'll have to resync it up to your computer and restore it back to factory settings.
tyler
plzz help me my ipod i locked the screen plz i dont know a combination can u tell me what i do
Bonz46
I locked my screen don't know the combination what can I do
@Rosalin - you'll need to replace the headphone module most likely. We do not carry it at the moment.
Rosalin
how to repair the audio input
@dastan - just sync it back up to your computer, you may have to reinstall them if that doesn't work @bilal and dustrin - does it not have anything at all on the screen? such as a charging symbol? you may need a new battery
dastan
i have formatted my ipod and all program is gone.how could i put all the programs,radio,games etc
bilal
im having the same trouble as dustrin, used it a couple of days back with no issues at all and now it wont start at all.............any 1 pls help.
Dustrin
I charged my Ipod for a couple of hours and now it won't turn on, what do I do>?
@christine - i would try doing a reset if you haven't yet. This is typically done with the up direction and select button at the same time for 5 seconds.
christine
my ipod (A1320) hanged while i'm watching a video in my ipod i don't know what to do could you help me pls... pls reply ASAP thank you
guy
my ipod is fully charge but no led back ground lights
@john - you mostly just go in reverse from how you took it apart.
john
The video didn't tell how too reseat my nano (me nither) how i can reset my nano??
@Luis - typically you hold down the menu and select buttons until it power cycles to reset it.
Luis
Yeah! Really great video, indeed... but now I had another problem. First of all I need some video to know how can I reset my device otherwise I need to know how to get my iPod unblocked... This it happened accidently certainly and now I'm unavailable to use it... please help!
Malbicho
:) It worked for me. Just beware that the wheel will never be as smooth as new if you dismount it.
@chris - I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for but this is a take-apart video. If you want to put it back together, you'll just need to go backwards.
chris ryan
The video didn't tell how too reseat my nano
Gman