Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: A1278 Blank Screen after logic board replacement
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:40 pm 

Here is my story and the issue that followed.
This is my girlfriend's laptop. While she was studying abroad in Denmark, she came home one day to find her mac to be making a strange beeping noise and not responding to anything including the power cable not lighting up any color while plugged in. She freaked and took it to the Apple/Mac authorized repair place in Copenhagen. They took a couple days (and about $100 US) and told her the logic board was fried and would need replacement. Cost of replacement through them would exceed the cost of a new laptop. They provided pictures of the damaged spot and she left. Upon coming back to the states, she asked me if I could fix it for her as I have done many other various laptop repairs in the past. I found your site, purchased the exact spec logic board from you guys (2.4ghz, the more expensive one, but the exact one she had in the unit previous, perhaps the cheaper yet faster 2.66 from the same mid-2010 line would have been better?), and yesterday did the swap out.

After putting it back together, the power cable was green for a moment then turned the red/orange to indicate charging. This was reassuring that the magsafe DC board was ok, given previous response. I let it charge for a bit, just to make sure the battery had power as well as from the AC adapter. Then I hit the power button. The familiar chime sounded (my excitement rising with it), but nothing on the screen. I figure, maybe it will take a moment. Sure enough, after a couple minutes, the keyboard lit up and the little light on the front came on. Still nothing on the screen. I pressed and held the power button and I heard it power off. I then pressed the power again, and this time, as it chimed, the screen flashed like it would come on, then went dark again. The flash was even, even to show the display isn't fried.

Giving benefit of the doubt, I took everything back out again. I reseated all cables, reseated the RAM, verified all connections again. Got it all back together, then proceeded to allow the battery to charge to full capacity as well. About 4-5 hours later, I had a green light on the power cable. I pressed power, chime, slight flash, no screen, but everything happening, again, as I described previously. This time, I waited until I believed it might be booted into the desktop. I pressed the volume up/down keys to get the familiar sounds of button press and they occurred. Caps lock light turns on and off, I put a CD in, and it played and ejected. It seems the mac is getting to the desktop, but no display. I again, verified display connections, tried again, still no go.

This is a logic board I received from you guys, order 212033. I do my computer work proper, clean environment, no carpet, static strap, proper tools, every screw exactly where it came from, no food or drink, all the proper rules. I am now at a loss as to what to try next. If you could point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated. I believe, at this point, that this may be a faulty logic board, but I am not leaving out the possibility of other things to try. I would appreciate your support. Thank you for your time.

Post subject: Re: A1278 Blank Screen after logic board replacement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Admin

I would talk to our customer support department. They may suggest an RMA replacement.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]