Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: PowerSurge fried cheap pwrstrip.Now MBP17 wont charge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:23 am 

The power went out a couple of times in my neighborhood today along with a funky power-surge...For a few minutes, my bedroom light got much brighter than usual. A misc. cheap powerstrip in another room got fried, and the microwave no longer works. I had my MBP 17 up and running and I didn't think to hurry and shut it down when this power outtage began...I noticed later in the day my battery was low and I didn't have a light on the magsafe.
Does charger brick have a fusable-link of some sort inside? If the magsafe board got fried, would that cause the magsafe light not to light? I don't have access to another mac to test my charger. And I don't know what voltage those pins in the T-connector should be. Different for every pin or the same voltage straight across?
I was plugged in to an inexpensive 'protected' powerstrip that didn't trip and the 3 external Harddrives that were on the same strip had no issues....(The effing power just went out again! This time everything is unplugged.) I bought the power supply a couple months ago, 'reconditioned' from OtherWorldComputing. Could it be bad luck+funky timing that it happened to go bad, same time as a household power surge?
Any info, hints, guess or opinions would be appreciated. And if there's some info I left out, just let me know. I'll get right back to ya! Thanks very much!
-Mike

Post subject: Re: PowerSurge fried cheap pwrstrip.Now MBP17 wont charge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

You'll probably need to replace the magsafe board. Some of the charging functions go through the main logic board so it could be that, but i'd try the power adapter and magsafe board first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:57 pm 

Just came back from a local Mac store. I had them plug my power supply into a macbook pro...and the magsafe light did not come on. So my PS was fried. Hopefully that's all that's wrong!

-mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:56 am 

Having no funds for a new PS yet, and tired of using my old iBook, I cut the magsafe cord from the ps that just got toasted. My original magsafe's cord came apart right at the magnet from wear+tear, but the brick was just fine. Spliced the good cord to it, got a good light, and started charging! Everything is working fine.
It's a relief to know that I just need to get a new pw and not a new Left I/O board! Looks like a pain in the ass and over a Hundred buck$

-mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]