Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Apple reported broken screen, would a new LCD suffice?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:24 am 

Dear all,
My MacBook Pro stopped functioning. The screen shows strange ghosts and ridges. It also doesn't start-up anymore, I get the message:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button"

I sent the system to Apple, they reported a broken screen. Replacement would be EUR 1000 :(

Now I found this site. I like it :)

My question now is, I am a bit puzzled why my systems stops functioning due to a broken screen. I would think of something more core like the image processor or connections to the screen. Could somebody explain this to me?

And then the logical question. Would an LCD replacement solve the problem?

Thanks and with regards,
Jasper Levink

Post subject: Re: Apple reported broken screen, would a new LCD suffice?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

That message you are seeing is a kernel panic. It most likely is not the display. It is typically one of three things: bad RAM, corrupt hard drive, or a failing logic board.

You can try booting up from your restore cd, and see if it panics there or if it lets you scan the hard drive for errors. From there you can move on to testing new RAM or sending it off for repair.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]