Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Old Macbook Pro Questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:18 pm 

So I have an old Macbook 17" (2.16GHz model) that is pretty beat up. It started freezing every time I used it and after suffering the frustration of lost work for a few weeks I sent it in.

Apple wanted $1200 to fix it, saying it had to do with the screen and hard drive. That's close to a new computer, and I know how much parts cost, so I told them where to stick it. I was really hoping to find out more what they thought the problem was anyway... and never got that information.

It seemed to happen in this order: Move mouse, watch movie, or anything remotely graphic intensive -> screen freeze (often accompanied by a 1px wide horizontal line across the screen ).

I've replaced the hard drive twice, and that's not the problem. The screen has some dead spots but I don't understand how a screen would affect computer performance regardless.

My assumption is the graphics processor or whatever the Apple equivalent is has bitten the dust. That means I need to find a new logic board so my questions are:

1.) Is my diagnosis correct and is it most likely the motherboard that's causing the problem?

2.) Would I be able to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade to the 2.33Ghz (or even faster if possible) Macbook Pro 17" Logic board?

Thanks for your help, sweet website by the way!

Post subject: Re: Old Macbook Pro Questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

If you are playing music when it happens does the music stop playing as well?

If so, it is most likely a logic board problem. We do offer a logic board repair service starting at $399. You probably won't be able to upgrade the board as the processor changed from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo from 2.16GHz to 2.33GHz.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]