Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Macbook Pro Fans Run High in Sleep Mode and Off (A1150)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:57 am 

That's right, the fans turn on high speed when I close the lid, sleep from menu, sleep from inactivity, or actually power off. If powered off, the fans will stop if I unplug, then back on if I reconnect power..... with MBP off.

What I've tried:

Wiped HD, reinstalled 10.4.11, same problem, upgraded to 10.6.2, still there.

Reset PRAM and SMC, no change.

Ran Apple Hardware Test in extended, found error code 4SNS/1/40000000: 'TCOP'
Searching online seems to indicate a sensor and/or fan issue.

Overall the MBP was running very hot. I installed iStat. Fans ran during normal use at 1000rpm all the time, with CPU temps 150-180, or more. Installed Fan Control 1.2, now temp avgs 140 with fans running avg 25-3000.

So, the fans run at varying speeds in regular use, and run on high during sleep or off, so I'm assuming the fans themselves are ok.

So what is the problem???? Not only do they turn on high in sleep mode, they also turn on high when I power down with cord still connected.

(The only other oddity, is there will be a slightly higher pitched noise whenever I do anything, type, scroll, etc. Do nothing, it goes away. Not loud, but there. Doesn't seem normal, but could be. Just thought I'd add it in case.)

Post subject: Re: Macbook Pro Fans Run High in Sleep Mode and Off (A1150)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 am 
Site Admin

that is generally a faulty temperature sensor or most likely the logic board. you may want to have it professionally diagnosed at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:02 pm 

macbookbob wrote:
That's right, the fans turn on high speed when I close the lid, sleep from menu, sleep from inactivity, or actually power off. If powered off, the fans will stop if I unplug, then back on if I reconnect power..... with MBP off.

What I've tried:

Wiped HD, reinstalled 10.4.11, same problem, upgraded to 10.6.2, still there.

Reset PRAM and SMC, no change.

Ran Apple Hardware Test in extended, found error code 4SNS/1/40000000: 'TCOP'
Searching online seems to indicate a sensor and/or fan issue.

Overall the MBP was running very hot. I installed iStat. Fans ran during normal use at 1000rpm all the time, with CPU temps 150-180, or more. Installed Fan Control 1.2, now temp avgs 140 with fans running avg 25-3000.

So, the fans run at varying speeds in regular use, and run on high during sleep or off, so I'm assuming the fans themselves are ok.

So what is the problem???? Not only do they turn on high in sleep mode, they also turn on high when I power down with cord still connected.

(The only other oddity, is there will be a slightly higher pitched noise whenever I do anything, type, scroll, etc. Do nothing, it goes away. Not loud, but there. Doesn't seem normal, but could be. Just thought I'd add it in case.)

You may want to try on Fan Control. Some MacBooks like the Pro are just to hot for daylong use. Fan Control adjusts the minimum fan speed depending on the current CPU temperature. For safety, it leaves the original automatic fan speed control intact.

Last edited by jenturla on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:49 am 

I'm already running Fan Control to keep it cooler during normal use.

The problem is, the fans turn on High Speed during SLEEP and OFF.

I'm gonna take it apart and check connections, thermal paste, and clean dust away.

But I have a feeling it is a faulty logic board.

The only working real problem is that I have to turn off and unplug when not in use. Not worth a new LB swap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:53 am 

i am having the same issue with fans running at high speeds. did you ever figure out a solution for your machine?
the fans do shut down in sleep mode.

thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]