Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help with diagnosing my 12" 867mhz PB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm 

Hi all,

I just recently dug up my non-functioning 12 PB from the grave in order to try and restore it as a second lappie. I am trying to figure out where the problem might lie with the PB. This is the oldest model with the soldered 128 RAM. I added 512 more to make it 640 mb.

Anyways, here is what I gt when I turned the PB on (with battery in place and connected to a power source):

1. The pb chimes and displays the gray screen with apple logo and 'rotating dial'
2. then moves to a 'light' blue screen with a solid black cursor and stays there for a bit before
3. moving onto another blue screen with the dial circling .... and that's it ... just sits there doing that ...
There is no excessive heat or fan noises. It just site there quietly with the circling dial ...

I was told a long time ago that is had something to do the the logic board. I'm wondering if there is a way to 'easily' diagnose this?

so far, I have:
1. removed the extra RAM (512 mb)
2. Reset the PRAM
3. reset the PMU

None of these solve the problem. My friend seems to think that it is unlikely a logic board problem given that it had it so far in the boot sequence. I'd like to know what else I can try to se if I can make this work!

Thanks in advance for your time,

cheers,
BP

Post subject: Re: Help with diagnosing my 12" 867mhz PB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Generally if it gets that far it is going to be a problem with the operating system or the hard drive. You'll probably want to boot up from your install disk, and try to repair disk permissions and repair the drive using Disk Utility. If it doesn't work, it should at least give you an error which may be a crashed hard drive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]