Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Did I kill my Macbook?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 am 

I'm Apple Certified so I've seen a lot of Macbooks but this one has me baffled.

Replaced a broken screen with a known good one. 1/2way through the install, tested working just fine. Buttoned it up, re-booted, no backlight. Could see info on the screen but barely. Hmmm.

Took it back apart, tried a different inverter, no joy. Cut to the chase, over the past 2 days I've tried 3 known good inverters, 3 known good inverter cables and 2 known good LCD's. No joy.

It drives an external monitor just fine. I've tried every trick I can think of-PRAM, SMC re-sets, all of that, no joy.
I'm wondering if somehow the the logic board is not powering the inverter but it worked just fine when I first intalled and tested just not after I buttoned it up. Now nothing.

Maybe a bad data cable? Graspoing as straws.

Thanks.
JB

Post subject: Re: Did I kill my Macbook?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:22 am 
Site Admin

If you are still getting a picture but just no backlight, it won't be the data cable. Do you have the original LCD still? you may want to stick that in there just to see if it is a compatibility problem with the new LCDs you are trying. Also, just to get the newbie question out of the way, are you sure you are putting the cable from the LCD in the correct way into the inverter board

If it still doesn't work on the original LCD, the only thing left is the logic board.

Post subject: Re: Did I kill my Macbook?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:57 am 

Fraid you were gonna say that. The original LCD was cracked but still lit up before I removed it. I re-installed it and got the same "no backlight" symptom. Usually swapping LCDs is so straightforward. i still can't figure out how I could have damaged the logic bd in any way. I guess I need to check and see if one of the connector tangs isn't making up properly. Odd thing is that it worked as normal until I buttoned up the top case.

Only other thing I can do is re-install the O/S but thats definitely a stretch.

BTW-it passes all Applecare diagnostics.

Pretty weird.

JB

Any idea how much voltage I should read off the Logic Bd to the inverter cable?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]