Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hinge replacement problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 am 

Hi there,

I have brooken my G4 left hinge and bought a new one in eBay.

I have replaced the brooken hinge for the new one and glued it wil ARALDITE epoxy glue.

The thing is that every month the display up cover opens and i have to glue it again and again....

Also the new hinge part seems that do not fit well, i mean when i put it in its place and screw the litle screw the hinge goes up and does not stay parallel to the display below cover. Why this happens?... why the hinge part does not fit in the display below cover and even applying a bit of force to join the display box again there is always a small gap between the two parts of the display box...

Anyone know why this happens and what is the solution to make the hing fit well in the display box.

I have bought JB weld now to see if its better than Araldite glue...

Thanks.

boto

Post subject: Re: Hinge replacement problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

You may have some of the old glue dried on the inside of the casing which makes the hinge sit a little higher than the original and cause that gap. You can try taking out the hinge and scraping off the glue on the inside of the casing but this usually will cause some scratches or bending of the metal.

For it coming loose, you may want to try and find a different brand or type of epoxy. There are some that hold stronger than others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 pm 

Hi Justin, thanks for your message.

Okay I understand that it might have old glue on it but the angle that the hinge shows is a bit high so that alread bent a bit the top display cover...

Another question is... along side the display cover top and down parts there is a think metal piece that runs on the side of the display case.. in my notebook this is king of bent towards the top display cover... I ask is this metal piece placed alongside the display itself between the display itself and the hinge or between the hinge and the outside part of the display covers?? Whn i took the brooken hinge i didnt noticed the position of this metal part.

Let me know some strong glue that will stik well the display covers..

is JB WELD a good one??

Thanks.

boto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:33 am 
Site Admin

the metal strip should go in front of the hinge up against the side of the case. if the strip gets bent, it can be really difficult getting it to fit back in properly.

for the epoxy, I believe somewhere on the packing there is a unit of measure on how strong it is after drying. Most brands will have different epoxies with different strengths.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]