Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Smoke/smell from around the right hinge area
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:15 pm 

I have a powerbook G4 Titanium 15 inch 512 MB DVI. This afternoon suddenly smoke together with a nasty smell appeared either from the right hand hinge or from underneath the top right corner of the keyboard. Unfortunately I didn't get the exact spot as I was more inclined to remove the battery to stop it all. I had a problem a long time ago with this hinge strobing and making noise. It was then replaced free of charge at an Apple store while visiting America. So I suspect the hinge might be the culprit once again. The problem is: I live in Mallorca in the Mediterranean, far away from Apple stores and other people that may help both with repair and spare parts. Can any of you wizz kids tell me the likelihood of it being the hinge, or rather something beneath the bonnet near the on/off button? I need this machine to work again next week for a photo shoot, but would like to start operating it where it is most likely to be sick. So if somebody have any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thank you in advance.
Jon

Post subject: Re: Smoke/smell from around the right hinge area
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Most likely the right hinge has rubbed off the insulation on the inverter cable wires and they are rubbing up against the metal of the hinge and causing it to smoke. You will probably need a new hinge and you may need the cable spliced or insulated.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]