Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo/ Panther/ext F/W HD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:41 am 
I just had another bright Idea....
Since my pismo crashed because of a bum Ram stick. I re-installed 10.2.8 and have been trying to figure out how to transfer my stuff from the ext. HD backup. with 10.3.9.
Could I just leave the stuff I already have installed on my int. HD and boot from the ext. HD using boot C then run my old system from the Ext. HD.... Its bootable Carbon Copy cloned.
As my battery is dead I'm always on Mains and my Ext HD is always connected... I never take my Pismo anywhere. Fot the moment I only have 128 Ram, but will soon have another 512.
If i could just run my system from the Ext.HD it would solve a lot transfer problems.
Will this work/

Shut down my computer leaving the ext. F/W HD plugged in
Then re-boot holding down C ????
Should I wait untill I've installed the 512 Ram stick...128 is a bit limit for panther and it was already slow with 2X 128
Thanks in advance. david

Post subject: Re: Pismo/ Panther/ext F/W HD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Reboot holding down Option. This will list all the bootable devices including any ext hard drives.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:42 pm 
Thanks
Is it the same thing ...OPT/Boot ...and /or going to the Preferences system and choosing the H/D boot image then choose the Ext.FW drive and reboot ??? Sorry I'm a newbie and I dont want to screw up my computer AGAIN
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:02 pm 
Me again !!!
I forgot to ask. Once my cloned disc is running my ordi can I still install something to that disc?
I suddendly realised that sice I last cloned my back up I've changed printer. ( I do have the install disc from the new printer)
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Guest wrote:
Thanks
Is it the same thing ...OPT/Boot ...and /or going to the Preferences system and choosing the H/D boot image then choose the Ext.FW drive and reboot ??? Sorry I'm a newbie and I dont want to screw up my computer AGAIN
David

it should be the same.

Guest wrote:
Me again !!!
I forgot to ask. Once my cloned disc is running my ordi can I still install something to that disc?
I suddendly realised that sice I last cloned my back up I've changed printer. ( I do have the install disc from the new printer)
thanks

sure

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:36 am 
Justin, THANKS for all the info " grace a toi "I amost have a new Pismo...Installed a new 512 Ram re booted from my ext. HD and everything works GREAT...lot faster than before.. All for $14

One last question ? My PISMO system is; PowerPC 750/500MHz /Speed 100Mhz 640 Mb Ram /// Will it take TIGER ( up to which version ?)
and is it really worth changing from PANTHER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

I never really recommend putting Tiger on Pismos. It always ends up being too sluggish.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]