Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: MBP won't boot or show display
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 pm 

Without warning my MacBook Pro 2.16 (1967) on 10.5.4 with 2GB ram froze on Firefox. When I forced it to shut down it would not restart. I have reset the Power Manager. When I use the cntrl/command + start the front white light comes on and I hear the drive whirr for a second but there is no screen. I tried inserting disk 1 of the original 10.4 dvd and it took it into the drive but won't eject it or boot. (Leopard discs are not available)

It has never been dropped, has had no recent updates (last security update went easily), gave no warnings and is regularly maintained with TechToolPro and Disk Warrior. Since it won't show a screen I cannot clear the PRAM. Battery is fully charged and the AC adapter is working.

There is an external FW drive with a bootable clone of the system but that won't boot it either nor show a screen.

Since I am in Mexico far, far from any Mac technicians or Apple stores, any help would be VERY appreciated. I am on my G3 iBook but it is slow, old and bare of much of my data.

I still have no idea if it is PRAM, HD, display or something really minor.

I am still at a loss as to where the problem might be and whether I could fix it if PM can ship parts to MX.

Post subject: Re: MBP won't boot or show display
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

It is hard to say what it could be without seeing it in the shop.

I would try resetting everything by unplugging the machine, taking out the battery, and holding down the power button for 10 seconds, but that is about all you can do without going into the machine.

Typically for an issue like that you would start disconnecting components inside and try to narrow down the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 am 
I have exactly the same problem on 2.4Ghz 15" MacBook Pro. After forced shoot down it would not boot. After pressing power button sleep light comes on, I can hear CD and and hdd spinning, and nothing else happens. If left like this macbook pro gets hot. I've tried to change memory, resetting everything - no help. If power button is held down on the first boot for about 15s sleep light flashes rapidly few times, but nothing else happens. I am ready to go in and take hdd out - would greatly appreciate your advice on what to try when I open the computer.

Thanks,
Romas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Admin

If you have added any RAM, I would remove any new RAM and just use the original Apple stuff. Apples have a tendency to still be extremely picky with aftermarket RAM chips.

On opening the machine, I would try disconnecting all the non-essential devices first just so you can try to get a picture on the screen. Disconnect the hard drive and superdrive first. Remove the airport card second. It should turn on and it may take a minute or two to show up but it should bring up the blinking folder icon indicating no OS was found.

If it doesn't show up, you are probably looking at a logic board problem.

If the blinking folder does show up, start reconnecting one component at a time until you find the culprit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]