Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: HD makes nasty sound/freezes up (HD mounting loose?)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 pm 
I just bought this refurbished 500Mhz PIsmo off eBay, and it's worked just fine until now. I left it on (mostly in sleep mode) for over a day and a half, and the temp got up to 120 degrees. All of a sudden, the HD (a Toshiba 80Gb) starts making this light growling sound and the Pismo just goes slow-motion unless pitched onto its side. I turned it off and let it cool down with a little help from a cold pack and central air, and it works great again, for a while. Then it sometimes goes back into that sound again and the thing freezes up.
I think the mount might be loose. I fiddled with it a bit, and it's working now, but is this something common? Should I look into it more closely?

Post subject: Update 7/12/08
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:41 pm 
I think I need to be really specific with the problem.
Just turned on, the temp sensor on the Toshiba MK8026GAX hard drive reads about 85 degrees F and is quiet. Around ten minutes later, it reads 100 degrees and starts to hum very faintly. Thirty minutes later, it reads 115 degrees and starts growling all at once.

Post subject: Update 7/13/08
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:16 am 
The Pismo was acting up yesterday, so I didn't finish the post. What I was going to add was:
After it starts making this noise, I can tip it on its side and the noise will stop for a little bit. I can also aim a fan right at it and the temp hits about 95 degrees and then holds right there.
I also did a little bit of research yesterday and found a story about a guy who had a Pismo back in 2002 and went through five hard drives while still covered for free Apple repairs. He said the problem was something with the ball bearings. Most of the recommendations across the web say to get a Hitachi brand hard drive with fluid in them or something.
Obviously the Pismo is a tough, reliable computer, so it's probably not the computer itself. I'm wondering what exactly would cause a newer HD to go ballistic like this. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: HD makes nasty sound/freezes up (HD mounting loose?)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Admin

It does sound like the problem is the hard drive itself, and that would need to be replaced. I would also recommend Hitachi. They tend to be the best drives for Apple laptops, which is why we carry them and prefer them to other brands. New drives can just go bad without any rhyme or reason. I'd suggest getting the drive replaced under warranty as if it was brand new you should be able to get it replaced.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]