Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: pismo shutting down randomly(?)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:11 am 

Hi, sorry if this is really obvious, but I haven't found the answer through searching. Please help.

Right, I have a G3 Powerbook Pismo, that is fondly referred to as the frankenbook because of all it's replacement parts. It has a G4 processor upgrade (from Daystar, if that means anything), a new battery, new power cord, wireless PCI card, new DVD reader, possibly upgraded RAM.

The problem: if I move it, and sometimes even if I just leave it still, the computer turns off. I suspect it may be a loose connection somewhere- is it as easy as opening it up and plugging it back together?

When it starts again, it says that the system clock is set to January 1 1970.

Charges fine, both AC and Battery work fine.

Before, the left speaker used to crackle- that has gone away by itself.

However, the sound has recently stopped working, and when I use the volume (or mute) buttons on the keyboard, the graphic comes up, with a "no" sign under it- like a no smoking sign. No music playing program is transmitting sound. Itunes will let you press play, but the tracker doesn't move. (ie, it doesn't really play) Plugging in headphones doesn't do anything.

Sorry for such a long twisty post- I wanted to include as many details as I could. Please help. (why do they die round about end of semester!)

thanks.
-titanium_geek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:30 am 

please disregard sound paragraph ("However...") - it was resolved on a reboot. the other issue remains- random reboots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:48 am 
Site Admin

If the problem occurs on both battery and power adapter, and both work independently you'll have a problem with either the PMU, logic board, or processor. The only way to tell unfortunately is to change out the parts. That is a unique problem.

I will say that those processor upgrades are known to fail and have odd problems. If you've still got your original processor, you may want to start there.

-Bradley
Powerbook Medic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:38 pm 

Bummer...

Um, the other thing I should mention is that sometimes pressing the power button isn't enough to turn it on- it sounds like the juice isn't getting through as the harddrive makes feeble slow spinning sounds.

more diagnostics: sound will stop a second before the screen and rest of computer goes off with a "meep".

this computer also has issues with waking from sleep

I recently upgraded to tiger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:06 am 
Site Admin

it is still hard to say without diagnosing it in the shop. i would say its leaning towards being a PMU problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:02 pm 

right. I live in Melbourne, Australia. :) Probably not going to be able to bring it into a shop. If the PMU is suspected, should I reset the PMU? what will that do to the computer?

thanks so much for responding- it's amazing what hope does for curing your stress. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 am 

Ooh! A new twist:

(detail)
I had been using my laptop in the living room- plugged in, full power, no random shutdowns (no bumping) usual load on processor. To move it, I shut it down, and shifted locations. (bedroom, to be considerate of my housemates.)

(important)
I hit the power button, a little whirr and a meep. (off.) I held down the power button, and it TONED at me- the sound was a tone a little lower than the colourbars (on TV) tone- before turning on, working fine.

thanks so much!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]