Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: iBook screen disintegrates
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:41 pm 

My iBook recently started crashing when I press or grasp on the left side of the iBook. I ran Drive 10, Hardware Test, and Disk Repair and all said everything was OK. I am able to boot from a CD. But if I start up in the usual mode and then apply any physical pressure to the left side of the computer, the screen starts to disintegrate and finally fades away altogether. I checked with the discussion groups at the Apple site, and it appears others have had the same problem. Some suggested it might be a mother board problem. But if it was a mother board problem would the computer run normally from a CD boot? Once I reboot, I am once again able to restart normally. As long as the computer remains perfectly stable I can do everything as usual. Then if I apply pressure to the area mentioned the whole thing crashes again. I've had this iBook for 13 months, just long enough for the warranty to expire. Help! Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Most likely there is stress in one of the display cables at that spot. There is the off chance that the video controller on the logic board is having problems, but that doesn't explain why the screen fades when you apple pressure.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: agree with Brad...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:02 pm 
....this sounds very much like issues that first cropped up with the clamshell iBooks. The way Apple engineered the cabling from the display to the board seemed to differ even within that very generation of machine. I've found at least two unique routings with different brands of tft.

I'd suspect a pinched nerve too. What to do is the question.
Ideally you would want to crack the casing (no easy chore on any portable) visually examine the cable and it's routing and either slight adjust/move and secure it or replace it.

Make sure you put it back together right:-)

MacGeneral

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

MacGeneral is right on...however cracking the case is not for the novice...Well cracking it is...putting it back together is another story :-)

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:49 am 

I finally got my machine back from apple, and whatever the cause was remains somewhat of a mystery to me. The logic board was replaced and everything seems to be working now.

Post subject: Similar issue, where can you get an iBook tear apart?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:05 pm 
I am having a similar problem with an iBook. I want to open it up and look to make sure no cables are being pinched or stressed, however, as mentioned above openeing an iBook can be a chore. I use to work for a Mac Retailer, who is no longer in business. In the service department they had a tear apart manuals showing how to open a case and put it back together. Now that I no longer have access to that from Apple, is there any other way to locate such information on the web?

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject: Similar issue, where can you get an iBook tear apart?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:09 pm 

I am having a similar problem with an iBook. I want to open it up and look to make sure no cables are being pinched or stressed, however, as mentioned above openeing an iBook can be a chore. I use to work for a Mac Retailer, who is no longer in business. In the service department they had a tear apart manuals showing how to open a case and put it back together. Now that I no longer have access to that from Apple, is there any other way to locate such information on the web?

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Check out site on Sunday 9/14/03. We hope to have the take apart manual for the iBook completed by that time.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: The same problem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:03 pm 
:( I have the same problem as decscribed by slgarm;
anybody fixed it witjout replacing the motherboard? and if so how?
TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:16 pm 
no, its a problem with the mainboard, mine just did it too - now im selling it off for parts

- Dave -

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]