Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Airport Extreme Installation.. Please help !!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:08 pm 
Ok.. So I have a PBG4 (17" which I had purchase a little over 3 yrs ago).. My wireless does not see any base stations.. If wireless encryption is enabled I am unable to connect to the network. WIth no encrytpion I do not have a problem connecting.. Also should mention that the card in my PB is Airport Extreme..

So I thought that the card maybe broken.. So I went to buy a replacement card.. I managed to find out how to open and get to the airport card.. But there is a cable that is connectedd to the card (not the antenna cable).. I am unable to find out how to dis-connect this cable.. It appears not to be fastened to the card in the normal way.. Seems more like that cable is somehow glued onto the card.. Is this true? Is there a way for me to disconnect the cable so I can change the wireless card? Please advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Admin

You can not disconnect the cable. The 17" uses a special airport extreme card, not the standard one. If your airport works find aside from encryption, the card is probably fine and something is awry with your base station.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:20 pm 
Well the current card in there works.. But my range on the wirless is very bad.. I can't move beyond 10 feet of my wireless router without it loosing signal.. That is why I thought to buy a new card (thinking the current one had problems)..

So the 17" uses a special airport card.. Where/would I be able to find a replacement card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

If you are having range issues, then the card works but you have a cable problem. There are technically two airport cables inside the unit. You need to have the computer professionally diagnosed to determine which has a problem.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:20 pm 
Sorry., for the constant questions.. One last question please. Sometimes I can be sitting no more then 2 feet from the station and my card will drop signal or acquire no signal at all.. I am at the point where I have no idea at all what the problem is. If possible I would like to be able to replace the enitre card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Without an antenna, your card can aquire a signal if you are right up on the base station. This again indicates that your cables are the problem. Have you checked all of the cable connections?

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]