Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: To upgrade or not to upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:46 pm 
My current computer is a toshiba sattelite laptop, 2.4 ghz 496mb or ram, and a 60gb hardrive, Windows is ok, I've just been working with it for years, and would like to start working with macs. My fiance just upgraded to a macbook and has given me her 12" powerbook g4 867mhz. Its in good shape, the hard drive is starting to fail, but other than that all is well. My question is, is it worth it to upgrade the PB, and by upgrade, i mean adding a new 100gb 7200rpm HD, 1gb of ram, and putting tiger OS on. The whole thing will probably cost about 340.00. I will be using the computer for daily internet browsing, checking email, and I have an isight camera that i will be using with ichat. I guess I want to know if it will perform near the same speeds as my current laptop, the things that worry me are that the processor is only 867mhz, and whether or not it will be fast enough to handle tiger without me having to stair at that beachball everytime I want to do something. I also understand that I may not want to get the 7200rpm HD because of heat issues, any truth to that? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:46 am 
Site Admin

I can't comment on the benchmark comparisions between the two machines as we don't work on Toshibas, but you should be able to find a site out there that can compare the units. In terms of Tiger, the 867 runs Tiger fine. I would reccomend maxing out the ram. The 867mhz has VGA outputs unlike all later models which had DVI output...not sure if that would be an issue.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]