Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerbook screen fuzzy (SCRAMBLED)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:55 am 

:(

My used to be reliable 2002 Titanium DVI PB seems to have problems with the screen. here is a snap of what I see:
http://homepage.mac.com/mmarkovich/pictures/unknown.png

I have tested an external monitor as well and it shows up the same.

is this a hardware issue? Is it the logic board?

Thanks

L

Post subject: probably bad news
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:10 pm 

Welcome to the titanium club. This happened to me over a year ago on my poerbook running an external monitor. I could cure it by pressing th etop left corner of the base or moving the screen slightly and this is what I've been told. It sounds like you have an intermittent break on the display cable that runs from the logic board, around the hinge to the back of the LCD panel in the lid. It could, however, be a connection fault on the logic board. The other thing that could cause this fault would be a faulty LCD panel but if it is cured pressing the top left corner of the base then this sounds highly unlikely. You are better served in US than me in Uk to get this repaired so best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:28 am 
Site Admin

if it does the same thing on an external monitor then its going to be the logic board.

Post subject: scrambled display too
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:18 pm 

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem as lenny97. It started happening sometime in August 2006. I used to be able to cure it using acupressure (as mentioned by one of the users), or by shutting it down, lifting the memory out of its sockets, replacing it back after sometime. The scrambled video occurs on the external display as well, leading me to believe it is a logic board problem.

I have an 800 MHz DVI 15" TiBook

I ordered a 1GHZ DVI replacement logic board, but when I put in the new logic board, i don't get the "happy mac" sound. Caps Lock turns on, but there is no display. I can hear the CD drive whirr up and seek, but that's about it. Appreciate any help into replacing logic boards. I'm located in India, so I don't have the luxury to take it to my friendly neighbourhood mac shop for replacement.

-- Saumil

Post subject: Another "fuzzy screen" owner
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:25 pm 

My 667 VGA exhibited the following symptoms earlier this year:

--at first, the backlight would randomly shut off. I would turn it back on by invoking sleep and then waking it back up. This cycle started to take longer and longer to complete.

--then suddenly that symptom disappeared and the "screen hash" symptom started. One trick I started using was putting the 'book in the freezer for a while, since I was guessing that there was a heat/expansion problem. It helps, but your HD might take a while to wake up from thermal sleep, so just be patient.

LESSON #1: Always keep your Ti on a flat surface, supported on the rubber feet. And never ever drop it! I suspect that this comes from one-too-many drops. The FW port also had died, how I missed that.

--I bit the bullet and invested in a very good refurbished DVI 1GHz from a decent firm in South Carolina, they sent it DHL (2-day), and they actually pre-installed Tiger on it. 'nuff said. must salvage the 667 for parts now. Can't transfer the Airport card till the warranty runs out, but could move 256MB of RAM right away.

good luck, everybody who dvelops this trouble in the future! More Ti lessons from this writer as we move forward into the Intel Mac era.

Post subject: Re: Powerbook screen fuzzy (SCRAMBLED)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:37 pm 
I suddenly started having this same problem yesterday! G4PwrBook 800. 2002.

I am going to re-install tiger tonight because when the screen scramble happens, the mouse arrow turns into a little box of screen scramble, and moves around, I can even click on the (sometimes) viewable content and it works. But it usually causes the entire screen to scramble. I then shut down, restart, and everything is fine for a short time.

I was afraid that there might finally be a virus for the G4!

I'll let you know how the re-install went. (I'll be in big trouble if it scrambles during the install!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:01 pm 
I have a similar problem but mine still works great on an external monitor. I had the problem, it went away and now I have it again. Dealers say buy a new one. Is this just the cable or the logic board.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 am 
Site Admin

This issue is caused by a videochip problem on the logic board. The only way to fix the issue permanently is to replace the logic board.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]