Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Replacing G4 Aluminum 15" Inverter Board
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:15 pm 

Hello,

I am having problems with the display on my G4 Aluminum 15" 1.5GHz that have led me to believe my inverter board is in need of replacement. I'm debating whether to try to do it myself. I know really nothing about electronics, and have never soldered anything before. So I'm wondering what exactly is involved in this process.

I'm having trouble finding info on the net about where in the computer the inverter board is located. Is it inside the display? Or is it inside the lower case? Is replacing it something that a non-electronics-whiz such as myself could realistically pull off?

Thanks,
Miller Peterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:39 am 
Site Admin

first off it doesn't require soldering.. so cue sigh of relief.

it is in the display underneath the LCD. You would have to take off the top case with the trackpad in order to reach the two torx screws in the bottom corners of the case. this will let you get the back display off and you should see the orange inverter board.

it's not a real hard repair.. shouldn't take you more than an hour to get it up and running again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:32 pm 

So I just need the board, the take-apart manual, and the various tools right? Should I also get a new inverter cable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:18 am 
Site Admin

yea.. pretty much if the backlight is off permanently then it is going to be the board but if it is intermittent and comes on and off depending on the angle of the display it is more likely to be the cable.

changing out the board is much easier than the cable as you really don't even have to open up the main body of the powerbook as long as you can get to the two T6 screws on the display.

of course if the inverter cable is extremely damaged then of course it won't be able to power the backlight at all and could be that but usually it has to be cut badly to do this.

so yea.. really all you should need is the T6 screwdriver, a philips, maybe a flat tool to help opening up the back case, the inverter board, and the manual if need be. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the manual goes into the shortcut on replacing the board so you don't have to open the main body.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]