Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Desparately Need Advice on Dead TiPB after Storage
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:24 pm 

This model M5884 was working great until a year of storage. Now nothing. No lights on power adapter puck, no lights on laptop or battery. Tried removing battery, pressing reset on back and then pushing power button but all still dead. Took apart and disconnected cables from PMU battery and all dead.

So... should there be a light on the puck? Any easy way to test it or the logic board to see if voltage is getting trough? Is it 24V AC or DC?

Should there be any lights on the laptop around the power button?
Should the battery LEDs be lit?
Would a drained PMU battery (part 616-0114-A) cause the laptop to act dead?
Would a failed hard drive cauise this problem?
Any suggestions?
-------------------------------------
HOLD ON... CAN'T BELIEVE IT
after hooking the PMU connections back up (all but to the PMU battery and DVD still removed) it Started and came completely back to health except date set very wrong. This totally confirms posting on another site (author was "paco53") that suggests only way to resolve this storage-related startup problem is to isolate the PMU and/or PMU battery for a little while and then hook back up. Very odd but it worked !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

If the light around the power plug is not lighting up there is going to be a problem with the power adapter or the DC-IN on the logic board.

I would try another power adapter first and move on from there.

Post subject: Justin, Why is everything a "logic Board"?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:36 pm 

Justin;
How are the Logic board sales? All you ever suggest is to replace the damn logic board, nothing like making sales your priority!

Post subject: Re: Justin, Why is everything a "logic Board"?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:51 am 
Site Admin

ron paris wrote:
Justin;
How are the Logic board sales? All you ever suggest is to replace the damn logic board, nothing like making sales your priority!

excuse me? No disrespect but I don't see you helping out at all.

Anyways without having to solder contacts or replacing small components which we do not do, what i said still stands. Try another power adapter and see if it lights up.. if it doesn't work either it is going to be the DC-IN. I don't know offhand what the voltages should be. It would be DC at the logic board as with any computer. If it was a later model titanium with DVI then it would have a separate DC-IN board which is a cheaper repair.

but if there are any electrical engineers like ron paris that want to add some useful input, that would be great.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]