Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo 500 FW freezing randomly
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:33 pm 
hi every one ,here is my problem

my pismo 500 FW started to freeze after 2/3 years of trouble free operation.
Now it freezes for no reason and the most annoying thing randomly .
Sometimes just sitting on the desk,sometimes while listening to iTunes or running any other application.

Sometimes it will work fine for 1 or 2 weeks ,and sometimes freezes after 5 mn (doing nothing) or sometimes it won't boot at all until i do a back button reset .

Sometimes this is not enough ...to make it boot ,
i have to take the RAM apart from the daughterboard ,put it back in and reset again or leave it apart for a while .
When it refuses to boot ,if i press the power button i can hear the hard drive spinning (no chime though) but it stays with a black screen for ever,
when this happens ,if i press the capslock pad it lits ,showing there is power but then i know i have to start over again.

When running Os9,it freezes just like that,

When when running OsX sometimes the display will turn black or sometimes it makes a kernel panic with the dark grey screen telling you to reboot in different languages.
Under Osx sometimes also it shows at boot the light grey screen with the "no parking" sign and the round cursor spinning for ever .

Sometimes it chimes, boots and works fine with no problem.

Even though it has always come back to life until now,it is not very conveniant to have to lift the keyboard everytime and go through all that hassle to get the PB to boot.

i have changed the RAM ,HD and clock battery ,
DVD rom bay,battery bay,
swapped with different known working RAM,
same for the HD (tried 3 differents HDs),
my HD and RAM work fine on 1 other PB that i own or on a friend' machine.
I have taken the processor apart and put it back with some thermic paste in case the original was dry or something .
I don't know what to do next.

The weird thing is that when it boots it works just fine !!!.....until the freeze that can occur at anytime.very annoying!!
Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks for your help.
Ayjav.
PB pismo FW500Mhz /768 RAM/30Gb HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:31 pm 
Hello..!! Is there anybody here? no help?... :o :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:21 am 
Site Admin

with the kernel panics i would lean towards a bad processor. I would try getting that replaced and see if it solves the problem..

you can send it off to us and we can diagnose it for $50 and you can decide from there what you want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:14 am 
thanks for the suggestion ,and thanks also for using some of your time to reply .
I live in France so the shipping of the processor is not very convenient for me..
But i am going to try to swap with somebody else's proc and see what happens then .
I have found a processor upgrade (G4 550Mhz) on your site but it says out of stock...is there still any possibility to buy one ?
Ayjav.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:45 am 
Site Admin

we really aren't getting any more pismo parts unless someone sells one so its most likely not going to come back in stock any time soon. ebay would be my best suggestion if you can find someone that will ship international.

Post subject: Pismo 500 FW freezing randomly
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 pm 
tanx Justin ,and happy new year!
Ayjav.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]