Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo CD/DVD and Zip Module problems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:16 pm 

I bought a used Pismo 400mhz about 6 monthes ago and have been having problems with the CD/DVD and Zip modules off and on (getting worse). I am running OS9.1. I have upgraded the RAM and HD, neither of which has helped the problem. I have tried updating the firmware, PRAM resets, initialize HD, etc. Sometimes I have to turn off the Apple CD/DVD extension or I get a stall mid-startup. I would suspect the CD/DVD module, except the Zip module doesn't work either.

Thanks,
Torx8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:17 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like a software issue. I'd reinstall your system software and upgrade to OS 9.2.2.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Yes!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:11 pm 

I installed OS9.2.2 and my Pismo has been running perfectly since (two days). I do believe you hit the nail on the head, Bradley. Thanks a million!
Ian,
(Torx8)

Post subject: Return of Pismo-Zilla
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:52 pm 

Well, I spoke too soon - sorry.

This morning the Zip drive would not work, restart and it works. Then I tried a CD - will not work despite numerous restarts. I also got the familiar (to me) Stall in the Middle of Starting Up that Only Goes Away When the CD/DVD Module is Ejected.

Audio CD, Data CD, DVD - none work. The Zip drive, which usually stops working along with the CD/DVD drive, is still OK.

The only recent changes to the system folder: I did add a bunch of fonts to the Fonts folder a day or two ago.

Ian
Torx8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:37 am 
Site Admin

If only one drive is misbehaving, then it may be your drive. I still think it is a software issue. I'd update to OS 9.2.2 if you haven't already done so.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:41 pm 

I updated to 9.2.2 about a week ago per your advice. The Zip drive has also gone down now.

The pattern I'm seeing is that I put in a fresh OS (or a new HD, or take the machine apart and reassemble it) and it works for a few days, then the old problems reappear.
Thanks,
Ian
Torx8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'm 99% positive this is software related. Have you installed any programs that put anything in the system folder? What types of programs do you use? Without having the unit in front of me there isn't too much I can do, but if you'd like to send it in we'd be happy to look at it.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: CD/DVD, Zip drive Solution
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:46 pm 
Thought you might be interested. I replaced the Logic board about ten days ago and the Pismo works fine now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]