Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dark screen/backlight/inverter saga continues: Please advise
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:32 pm 

Recently, the right hinge & screen bracket on my TiBook broke, and the screen started "acting funny": When opening the lid, sometimes the backlight would come on, and sometimes it wouldn't... kind of odd. The broken right hinge eventually severed the inverter connection, so odd behavior was to be expected... And seeing as how the screen was structurally inoperable, I ordered one and replaced it...

However, now the backlight-not-coming-on issue was permanent --it would flash on for a moment as the TiBook powered up or awakened, but then go dark... Hmmm... sounds like the inverter, right? So I replaced this.

Now, the screen works great if powered up from zero with the lid UP/OPEN --but the backlight still only flashes on for a moment if the TiBook is woken from sleep with the lid DOWN/CLOSED. [If I put it to sleep via the apple menu and leave the lid UP, it wakes up just fine, backlight and all!]

So, I'm wondering if there's another mechanism at work when the lid opens up that triggers the turning on of the backlight, like a switch? Don't know why the "lid-opening" behavior would be different than the "soft-wake-up"...

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated...

$500 in parts later the thing still only half works... :roll:

Post subject: Me too
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:21 am 

I droped mine as well but the display went dark right away.
i can barely see on it in the right lighting.

I think that there is something disconnected
or set to dark
or maybe the screen is going to sleep mode and staying there
not sure what to do other than open it up.
\
rook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:22 pm 

this is likely your backlight, damaged in the crash.

I'm still experiencing the problem o fmine turning itself off when the lid/screen hinge is adjusted. Putting the PB to sleep then reawakening turns it back on... It's like there's a mechanical switch that's gotten flaky, rather than some issue with the backlight itself...

Post subject: Re: Dark screen/backlight/inverter saga continues: Please advise
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:52 pm 
How do you replace the inverter. I am have the same problem with my screen turning on at first then being really dim after boot up. This is on a titanium g4 867. My back light in also doing the same thing. I would like to get this fixed without spending to much money.. If you know how let me know email me chrisworkman@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Dark screen/backlight/inverter saga continues: Please advise
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

After taking off the bottom case, it is the small little board wrapped in orange plastic on top of the optical drive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]