Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lid unstable -- is it the hinge or the display casing?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:22 pm 

Several months ago, my six-year-old PowerBook's lid became unstable. Strong shocks would cause the lid to fall over so that the it would be completely open. That's when I noticed that the top casing has a crack in it near the right hinge. The problem gets worse as time passes, though it doesn't appear that the crack has gotten any longer. I don't know how long the crack has been there. Now the angle at which I can stabilize the lid in an open position is very small, and slight shocks can cause the lid to slam open or closed.

Is my problem the hinge/clutch, or is it the display? I'm not ready to purchase a new PowerBook, but I would like to get this one back to optimal usability. Do I need to purchase a replacement display (the LCD works fine), or do I just need new hinges? Would I need to replace the hinges as a set, or would I need just one? If just one, how would I determine which hinge needs to be replaced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:28 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like its the hinges most likely. We'd have to take a look at it at the repair center to be sure, but if it does turn out to be the hinges, you'd be looking at around $175 for the repair from us.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]