Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: trackpad connector broken!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:36 am 

I upgraded my hard drive and everything seemed to go well, except what I later realized is that when I disonencted the so-called 'trackpad connector' (which is also for the keyboard and power, etc) a few of the pins on the connector lost contact with the logic board.
this has resulted in the keyboard not functioning, though the trackpad and power work flawlessly. go figure.
It seems the connector wasn't soldered on very well to begin with, which I know has been a problem with certain apple laptops.

anyway, even though I have a powerful loupe and could probably solder the pins together (!!), I am wondering if this is the best course of action.

Does anyone know if this is a serviceable problem? I am in NYC and could bring it to tekserve. But I am wondering if they will simply want to change the logic board, or if the connector is something that can be repaired.

thanks

**17" 1ghz powerbook g4

ps- should also mention that there is the possibility the keyboard cable was pinched. I dont see any visible damage, but after I closed the case the 1st time, the 'trackpad cable' was not sticking through the slot correctly. I realized this when I flipped it over to put the ram back, etc.
So I took it apart again-- perhaps the keyboard cable (which comes together into the trackpad cable) was pinched and the others were not. Its a long shot, but the possibility is still there. And maybe the trackpad connector was always flakey. OR maybe its both.
But the fact that the power button and the trackpad work flawlessly is curious.
The trackpad connector is loose on the left side, which I believe IS the keyboard part of it.
[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Most repair shops are going to tell you to buy a replacement logic board, but if you are skilled at soldering, you can definitely give it a shot. Most places that do actual component level repairs are extremely expensive.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:38 pm 

do you know if there are any pins on the bottom of that connector? or are the only ones I need to worry about the visible ones on the side (opposite where the trackpad connector fits)?

If I mess up, I'll still have to swap out the logic board-- so why not try?

The problem is I need a small soldering tip than I have...

Post subject: sucess
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:19 pm 

that did the trick.
didnt even have to add solder-- just heated the pins and they stuck.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]