Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem charging Lombard batteries with VST charger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:36 pm 

Hi All

I have a VST Technologies external charger which I use to charge my Lombard M7318 batteries whenever the inbuilt charger is unavailable.

The VST charger works fine except for one thing ... it only charges batteries to around the 90 percent level.

Has any other member encountered this problem and is it possible to get inside the VST charger to modify its circuitry so that it delivers the extra 10 percent?

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:33 am 
Site Admin

The charger doesn't affect how much of the battery it will charge. It is just a limitation of the battery. Batteries lose their charge afer awhile and can no longer be charged to full capacity.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:50 pm 

Hi Justin

Is it therefore your belief that my batteries are past there best and I should consider replacing them soon.

If so, then you might like to know that I am in the process of buying a couple of the newer technology batteries which have around 50 percent more capacity.

Do you think my VST charger will be able to charge these high capacity batteries or should I seek a better charger?

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I would say your older batteries are getting past their prime. On the newer high capacity batteries, most companies will say chargers may not work with chargers, but from my experience, most will still charge to full capacity.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:03 pm 

Hi Justin

After posting my previous email it dawned on me that when I charged my batteries using the Lombard's internal charger they charged to 100%.

Incidentally, I'm using batteries because I snagged the power adapter cable with my foot some time ago and broke one of the connections on the socket soldered to the sound board. A common accident, I believe? When I've a couple free hours available I will disassembled the Powerbook and resolder the connection. I have full 'take apart' instructions. I might replace the broken wire with a flexible one so that it won't break so easily if the accident happens again.

My Macbook Pro has a MagSafe power connector which should, in theory, fall away if I snag the adapter cable with my leg. Mind you, it is a powerful magnet that holds the adapter plug in place. I have a feeling my heart would skip a beat if I snag this particular cable.

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]