Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: iBOOK Problem. Three beeps during startup...HELP!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:36 am 
Hey everyone.

I recently purchased my girlfriend a new iBOOK G4 a month ago. After 17 days of little to no real use, the machine froze and when I restarted the screen is black and beeps three times and does not boot up.

I researched this problem and found that it has happened with the Powerbook G4's and said it might have something to do with the RAM itself, or it not being seated properly.

We brought it to the Apple store here in Westchester County NY, and they diagnosed it as a hardware problem. They sent it into Apple, and Apple did not diagnose any hardware problem, even though the store diagnosis was a hardware problem.

The next day, the machine freezes again, and upon restart the same thing happens and beeps three times. We then proceed to take it back to the Apple store, and they diagnose it as a hardware problem AGAIN, and send it back to Apple.

Yesterday, I make a call to Apple's customer service and get in touch with a technician who tells me so far they have no diagnosed anything to say it would be a hardware problem...

I am at a breaking point with Apple and there customer service, my girlfriend just started school and needs her iBOOK, and we just do not feel Apple is doing their job here. She wants a brand new machine, but Apple's policy is not on her side so its not that easy.

I want to know if anyone here can give me some answer's on what this problem might be, and list every single option I have at my disposal to fix this problem as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for all of your help everyone!

- Regards,

- nevesis

Post subject: same problem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:38 am 
I've recently had the same exact problem. Since you've posted the message, have you found a solution? Thanks...

Post subject: ibook that beeps three times and won't start
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:57 pm 
I had the same problem with my ibook G4 and finally found a way to fix it. All you need to do it remove the keyboard, then remove the airport card, then remove the RAM protective plate and remove the RAM card. Take a pencil eraser and rub in across the metal contacts and put the card back in. It sounds ridiculous, but it worked. Sure enough, I didn't need a new RAM card, this one must have become dirty or loose. For more thorough instructions on removing RAM card, just go to Google and type in "how to remove ram from ibook G4". The first website shown, devleloper.apple.com, etc., (it goes on forever or I would have typed it here), will show you exactly how to remove it. It's not hard and it may save you a lot of headaches. I couldn't get any help from Apple support, but found a suggestion on a Mac website that worked.

Good Luck!

Post subject: same proble, same solution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:42 am 
:)
I was really bummed out this morning. My iBook would not boot and the bell tolled three times, so to speak. I feared intimations of all sorts of disasters.

so, I did a google search, which led me to this string. I popped open my iBook, took out the RAM, and rebooted ...everything just fine! I then puffed a few breaths of air on the RAM, and touched up the contacts with a clean pencil eraser head, reinstalled it, and rebooted...everything just fine, just like the previous poster said. No more beeps! Excellent tip!

Post subject: wow!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:32 am 
I had the same problem, followed these directions and in 5 minutes, my computer was back up and running. Wow! Thanks!!!!!

Post subject: ibook beeps
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:23 pm 

ibook g3 crashed , then beeps when powered on but wont start black screen.
I removed airport card and ram clean metal strips as suggested with erasure
noticed a speck of dirt in ram slot , using a magnifine glass removed dirt with a fine pencil tip.
Its important to check the ram slot making sure its clean also..
put everything back together ibook started up right away.
Thank for advice
I was ready to chuck the g3 in the garbage.

Post subject: thank you so much
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:24 am 
thank you again this is a wonderfull tip as the apple site only tells you no banks found but does not specifiy as to rom or ram , luckily the ram had become unseated :)

Thank you again

Post subject: AWESOME SOLUTION FOR 3 BEEPS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:12 pm 
OMG You just saved my life!!!!! all of my med school application information is in my laptop and I was about to missout on a deadline if it wasn't for your AWESOME tip!!!!!

Thanks a million!

Post subject: Three beeps during startup...SOLVED!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 am 

Great It simple and fantastic. I cleaned the RAM with the eraser (and don't forget to clean the rubber particles with the soft brush) my ibook G4 boot up like anything before.

Thanks Debbie for the superb advise.

shrikant. India

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]