Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo Start Up Problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:06 am 

I have a G3 400mhz Pismo 256/20GB its having tons of start up issues
I shut it down and let it set overnight and i power it up and the display doesnt want to come on, I have to zap the pram to get it to come on, sometimes i get the apple logo and it reverses color to blue, I have to reset the PMU to get it to start sometimes and then sometimes when i go to start it it makes a crashing noise, I dont know if this would be a dead PRAM battery or what, but once i get it started it runs fine, Its running MacOS 10.3.2, sometimes i have to disconnect the pram battery and remove all batteries to get it to power up. Im at a loss with this thing, Also when i verbose mode the start up it says
ATA Identify Data Incorrect-Bad Checksum Error
The drive was new when i installed it 2 weeks ago
i would appreciate all help i could get

steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:29 am 
Site Admin

The crashing noise is typically a dead or dying processor. With a dying processor, you would also get frequent crashes....with frequent crashes you would get data corruption and hard drive errors which would in turn lead to checksum errors.

Long story short, I'd replace the processor (also called daughtercard because the processor sits on the daughtercard) and I would reformat your hard drive.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:25 am 

well its stopped doing the crashing sound, and for some odd reason its starting up normally, i took everything apart and reseated everything, I have a lombard 400mhz processor would that work in the pismo board?, Sometimes it still doesnt like to come on, unless i zap the pram or reset the PMU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Admin

The lombard processor will not work in the Pismo unit. Reseating the processor can temporarily fix the issue, but it will always come back.

-Bradley
Powerbook Medic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]