Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: G4 500 with Ethernet problems
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:16 pm 

I have a G4 500 that has some issues with the Ethernet port. I plug in to a network and I have to tweak the cord all different way's, bending pulling it out slightly, etc. I was told I needed to replace the motherboard. I don't really want to shell out the $800 they want for one on a computer that’s 5+ years old. So I was wondering if there is anyone here that might be able to fix it or give me some advice on how to go about fixing it.

To me it really seems like I just need to remove the Ethernet plug and solder a new one on. Sounds easy enough, however I don't want to mess up my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: It's fixable
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:12 am 
First I'd try some contact cleaner available at Radio Shack then I'd
get a pair of tweezers from http://www.smallparts.com TWEX-03, about $25.00. Pins 1,2,3 and 5, I believe are used in the ethernet connector. Pull gently with the tweezers to fix the pin with the power off. A hub or switch's indicators can be used for 1st order connectivity. Use another RJ-45 jack to practice on so you can feel the forces necessary.

Depending on the manufacturer, some jacks don't damage easily when the proverbial square peg is inserted into the round hole.

These tweezers are small and are great for getting out splinters.

I've done it a few times by plugging in the wrong cable to the Ethernet jack. The engineers that created USB didn't make sure the USB cables would not fit in.

The Belkin snagless ethernet cable does well for easy to remove and yet protects the plug.

I've also created dummy plugs (crimped with no wire) for Ethernet when I was primarily using the telephone jack. Now my primary connection is wireless.

Now I'm labeling the jacks on the keyboard side. We'll see what that does.

:D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]