Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vertical line on G4 Screen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:35 am 

Little help Please,
I have a G4 Ti, 500MHz. On the right side of the screen I have a vertical line, ~2 pixels wide, one line is red, one is blue w/ a normal row between them.
It started as one line, and I can make it go away, sometimes, by moving the screen and pushing on the bottom of the screen. Any ideas...

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject: re. vertical lines on Powerbook Ti display
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:54 am 

I'd like to know what causes this as I have exactly the same problem - slightly twisting the display makes the lines disappear, which I guess indicates that there's nothing wrong with the display itself.. does anyone have any ideas on this??
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Vertical line on G4 Screen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:19 am 
I get exactly the same line on my G4 500. All apple told me was that I needed a new screen and it would cost more then the PowerBook was worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:05 pm 
I have the same problem, but I have four lines.

Is it really the screen, or the cables through the hinges?
has anyone ever found out exactly what this is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:28 pm 
I also have one red line going straight through the middle of my screen. Very annoying. Twisting the screen around makes it go away? I'm afraid of doing that.

Post subject: Lines on G4 screens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:45 am 
If you have vertical lines on your screen and they go away if you twist the screen - don't!! I flexed it a bit hard and bingo - crack - one broken lcd display. Live with the small line or risk trying to get a whole new screen.

I wish I had left well enough alone.

Post subject: vertical blue line on screen PB G4/667
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:57 am 
I have a similar problem, a vertical blue line almost from the top (1 cm below) to the very bottom, ca. 10cm from the left. Similar problems have been posted on the Apple Support site, see http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@177.Y9ZYa4d4obC.2@.689417d6

The answers I have read are not always similar, the dealer response however is invariably: replace the screen, it will cost you :x About time to find an alternative answer :?:

Is AppleCare the answer, possibly? If so, I know I will purchase it the next time around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:01 pm 
Many of the samsung PB screens are defective and up and die. I have seen thousands of reports on TiBooks that have done the same. Mine "went vertical" and Apple wanted 1000.00 to replace it. The discussions on the Apple wesite were getting edited on a daily basis and whole topics were removed. They were selling used on e-bay for 700 bucks at the time. I put it in the closet and now it wont boot anymore. I figure $1000 a year for the privilige to use a Powerbook isn't to much for Apple to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:55 pm 
I have the same problem, except my line runs horizontaly across the screen. I could press on the back of the display for a short time and it would resolve it, but it has since gotten worse. Took my TiBook to an Apple service center and they found out it was indeed the display, and that Apple no longer makes the displays. To get a refurbished display was going to cost $900+ on top of the $180 (2 hours of labor to install). But, on the bright side, there are several displays for TiBooks floating around on the Internet. I plan on getting one of those and with a little bit of luck I am going to replace my display. What can I say, I love this machine. :-)

Post subject: 12-inch G4 PowerBook "thin blue line"
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:41 pm 
After a month and a 1/2, my G4 powerbook developed a thin blue line straight down the middle of the screen. Apple Store estimated $325 to fix. Arrgh! I've also been unable to find any trace of the problem on apple support, and no one has reponded to me on the discussion boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:57 am 
I bought a tibook on ebay and on first boot it displayed a mottled gray screen with a series of pixel-deep lines running horizontally across the screen.

Is this a common problem with Ti-book screens?

The screen lightens and darkens and goes to sleep etc, but no images are diaplyed - is this just a damaged wire?

An Apple certified company suggested a repair which is very expensive.

Were apple really deleting posts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes just changing the display cable will fix the issue, but changing the cable should only be done by an advanced tech. Otherwise you'll need to replace the whole display. We sell the cable at the link below:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/c ... t=0&page=1

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]