Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Earsplitting, Screaching sound output
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:58 pm 

No useful sound output, only the screaching, from internal speakers or from sound-out jack in this heavily-upgraded '98 WS (Sonnet G4/500MHz, 512MB, 20GB drive) that has worked beautifully in current state for almost two years (OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.8 on separate partitions).

Considered it might be the Power/Sound board although I am having no power or charging problems now. This board was replaced once about three years ago for failure to accept a charge.

I can make sound adjustments in Sound pref panel in OS 10 but it only serves to increase the volume of screaching when any sound plays. Curiously, when booted in OS 9 and accessing Sound control panel, "Built-in Audio Controller" is greyed-out and any attempt to use the volume slider is met with the slider snapping back leftward and an error dialog with a message something like "Cannot access audio controller as it is in use by another application."

Now I am not sure what to think - ?hardware...?software...

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:20 am 

Software related sounds like. Try booting with extensions off.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]