Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerbook crashes when moved
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:33 pm 

My 400 mhz Tibook (10.2.6) has started crashing sometimes when I adjust the angle of the screen or when it's moved. It does this both on battery power and when it's plugged into the adapter. Also, when restarting the powerbook, the screen stays black sometimes. I may have to restart it 3-4 times to get the screen to light up. All of these problem have just started in the past 2-3 weeks. Up until now, It has been trouble free for the past 2 years. I have disassembled it a couple of times looking for a loose connection or a short of some kind. I have not found anything and the problem persist. Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing the trouble? Thanks, Byron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:47 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like a logic board problem. Replacing the logic board should fix it.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: G4 powerbook crash
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:33 am 
My G4 powerbook crashes with screen angle change -- but only when it is on battery power.

:cry:

Any ideas would be appreciated !

Post subject: my problem was a cable in hinge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:28 pm 
I had a problem like this and it was one of the cables
running from the display to the mother. It got
pinched/worn and was shorting to the case. Some
electrical tape fix it.

In anycase the problem is electical/mechanical ...
probably not a motherboard.

Not a repair for someone who's not handy ... you can do more
damage then good. By the way if the problem is in the screen
side ... it's glued together and not a repair you'll enjoy ... as it
is difficult to get the bezel off without bending it ... and of course
you have to get it back together.

Post subject: Re: Powerbook crashes when moved
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:34 pm 

nitram1203 wrote:
My 400 mhz Tibook (10.2.6) has started crashing sometimes when I adjust the angle of the screen or when it's moved. It does this both on battery power and when it's plugged into the adapter. Also, when restarting the powerbook, the screen stays black sometimes. I may have to restart it 3-4 times to get the screen to light up. All of these problem have just started in the past 2-3 weeks. Up until now, It has been trouble free for the past 2 years. I have disassembled it a couple of times looking for a loose connection or a short of some kind. I have not found anything and the problem persist. Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing the trouble? Thanks, Byron

Anyone find a fix for this? My PB TI500 is doing the same thing now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Is the computer actually crashing, or is the display just going dark? If it is going dark, then the inverter wires which run up the hinge are likely getting pinched. The solution is to take off the clutch cover, reposition the wires and possibly wrap them in electrical tape to protect them better, and put the cover back on.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:53 pm 

powerbookmedic wrote:
Is the computer actually crashing, or is the display just going dark? If it is going dark, then the inverter wires which run up the hinge are likely getting pinched. The solution is to take off the clutch cover, reposition the wires and possibly wrap them in electrical tape to protect them better, and put the cover back on.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

For my TI yes it's actually crashing. The mouse stops and I can't ping or telnet into the powerbook any more.

During the reboot, when the screen is black, I know the OS is running as I can ping and telnet into it. Plus I know it's at the desktop because I can adjust the volume. And when I push the power button and then I hit the enter key I know it's shutting down. So I know it's running.

I check the pink and black cable for damage, but it's seems fine. No kinks or anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

From what you describe is sounds like a logic board issue, and you should start by replacing the board.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:40 pm 

I was thinking of doing that.

I have one question. How does the computer know the screen is closed? Because I was doing some tests.

I know the comptuer definately crashes when the screen actually pivits on the hinge.

I took the clutch cover off and did some tests, and as soon as there was movement in the hinge in either directions, the computer crashed.

Is there some kind of mechanical switch in the screen that is triggering the computer to shut off the screen? And sending some false error to the logic board which is causing it to crash?

Or does the screen just shut off when the latch is engaged when I close the laptop?

Because I would like to change the logic board, but I would like to know what is sending the signal to crash when there is movement of the screen.

Oh and by the way, thank you for replying to these questions. I appreciate all your help.

I love my TI and I just don't want to get a new Powerbook if I can fix this thing.

Kenji

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

The computer has a magnet mechanism inside the display that when closed triggers another magnet. There isn't a mechansim in the hinges. Let us know if we can be of further help.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:42 pm 

powerbookmedic wrote:
The computer has a magnet mechanism inside the display that when closed triggers another magnet. There isn't a mechansim in the hinges. Let us know if we can be of further help.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

I see. Well thanks for all the input and help. Instead of buying a logic board for $300, I think I'm going to just get the mac mini.

Thanks again
Kenji

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]