Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New to PowerBooks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:49 pm 

I'm not new to Mac's, as a matter of fact I own several of them, and will never go to the dark side, I'm just never had a portable Mac, last week I traded my labor (2hrs) for a Pismo Powerbook 400 that had some problem with its system folder.
I think it's a early one because it has a 6Gig H/D, it only had 64Mb of ram so I picked up 2-256Mb sticks and now it zips right along on 10.2.8, BUT it gets pretty hot and I noticed the fan never comes on, sense then I have a new fan on the way and will wait to install the fan before I run it again. Can someone tell me if the fan is always on when the machine is running or does it have some sort of thermal switch? And If possible what the voltage of the fan might be? Thank you! :?:

Post subject: Waste of time!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:11 am 

I'm sorry for wasting your time, I thought this chat site had information, I found another PowerBook site that had the answers, later! :evil: :?: :?: :?:

Post subject: Re: Waste of time!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:27 am 

Reiddm wrote:
I'm sorry for wasting your time, I thought this chat site had information, I found another PowerBook site that had the answers, later! :evil: :?: :?: :?:

sorry no one responded, but this is a user forum that gets sporadic attention sometime.

You probably wasted money on your new fan, the Pismo fan almost never comes on.

BTW, you could have found this information very easily here by using the search function... that's what I did when I started reading these forums. There's lots of stories of Pismos being very hot, and even burning holes in the bottom b4 the fan comes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:15 am 

Well the fan was bad, but not burned up, when I pulled the connector off the M/B one of the wires came off, or was always off, checked the fan with a ohm meter and checked good, applied voltage and it spins, so it had a bad connector, I as warned about this from another site, this happened when installing the airport card or changing the ram which I did both! The fan was CHEEP so that isn’t a big thing, looking forward to Friday, my new H/D will be here and then I can run my iTunes, 6 gig is not enough, thanks for the reply, I’m just glad that a Mac is a Mac pretty much! And I am thrilled the guy loaded Microsoft Works from the early 90’s, the extensions just made this thing CRASH at start up, and now I have a perfectly good Pismo! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:43 pm 

now get the 900 mhz upgrade and you'll REALLY be happy with your Pismo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:36 am 

From what I understand you have to send in the daughter board for the conversion, or are there other upgrades, it still sounds interesting!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:49 pm 

Yeah, you have to send it in, unless you just buy it new (which costs a lot more) and then sell you old one on eBay or keep it for backup. I bought my upgrade when my original processor fried, and Bradley shipped it super quickly (same day) so I wasn't w/o a computer for long. But if you are sending in your daughtercard for upgrade, then I'm not sure how long it takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:09 am 

I plan on looking on eBay for a daughter board later, just upgraded the H/D to a 40G and picked up a laptop stand with two cooling fans, now it seems to stay cooler, my next purchase will be a airport basestation, that way I won’t be tied to the Ethernet cord! I’m amazed how easy this thing is to work on!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:45 pm 

I want to upgrade my hard drive- still have the orig. 6GB. But I've already done the processor and a newertech high capacity battery, so I'm a bit tapped. The cooling stand is a good idea.

I use a Linksys wireless router instead of airport base station- much much cheaper and works great. I think Netgear is a bit more compatible though, but I finally got mine to work.

Yup, Pismos are great!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:17 pm 

I picked the stand on eBay, USB powered and does a GREAT job keeping the bottom cool, the only thing I don’t like about it is it has no bottom, but that I will change! I don’t use the battery that often as with the Ethernet cord attached I have yet to run very long with out the power adapter, and when I’m in the car, I have a cigarette lighter adapter, (I use iTunes with a cassette adapter) so the battery is not a issue at this time! Now about the wireless way, do you know if they make a wireless adapter that will use my Ethernet connection and relay to my Pismo? Or do I have to run a full base? This area I’m lacking on, but want so much to learn! By the way THANK YOU for your responses!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:20 am 

Well, first, regarding upgrades... PowerLogix just yesterday came out with a 1GHZ upgrade for the Pismo!! So the 900's may be on the cheap soon, and the 100MHZ difference is not likely to be noticable!

Regarding wireless, you'll first need an airport card for your Pismo... NOT and airport extreme (current model, but won't fit), just a regular airport card like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 45081&rd=1

Then you'll either need an airport base station or some sort of wireless router. Wireless routers are much cheaper and often can be found in the $30-40 range at a site called dealmac.com. The only issue is that depending on your ISP, they can be a bit touchy to set up, as every ISP wants you to pay to have them set you up with networking. For example, I have bellsouth DSL, and they don't prohibit home networking, but they won't give you any support on how to do it unless you pay them an extra $10 a month. So I want to a site called http://www.dslreports.com and found out exactly how to set up my system and it works great. The router cost me about $50 and the card was free (already in my Pismo!). AFAIK, there is no other way to create a wireless access point w/o a wireless router.

Additional info: Don't be tempted by the 802.11g routers, just get the 802.11b routers. The new "g" standard is way faster than anything you'll need, unless you have a few computers at home that you want the faster transfer protocol for. "b" is much more bandwidth than standard cable or DSL needs.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:22 pm 

The upgrade to wireless will be first, I already have a airport card installed, and at home I have several Mac’s, one of my G3’s is used only as a server, the others feed off of it via ethernet, (we only have dial up where I live, and the cable Co. want‘s toooo much $$$), when we remodeled our house I installed ethernet in all the rooms, so I wasn’t tied down in one room, but my wife is now complaining about the cord in the living room so I need to look at a wireless device that I can tie into my system, I went to dealmac.com they had only one listed when I searched for wireless routers, it was just over 100-, but I have NO experience in the wireless field so I need help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:35 pm 

Hmmm... not sure I can help with using dial up and a wireless router. But I will tell you that the Pismo w/ airport card just automatically picked up the signal of the router right away. That is once I turned it on, each router will have a set up page that you go to via a web browser.

So, the only issue will be getting your dial-up signal to the router. I don't know of any modems that have an ethernet output. But if you have a router already that you are sending your signal throughout your house with, then if you switch it for a wireless one it should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:25 pm 

No, I want it to use my Ethernet system as the input, not my modem! My modem is connected to my computer that I use as the main server in my house, from there I have other computers connected to it through a ethernet router.

I see the wireless routers have a WAN port, they say it’s the Ethernet connection to the DSL or cable modem, I don’t know if that would work with my Ethernet system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:17 pm 

hmmm... i don't know how you would do that...
but I do know there's a deal for a netgear wireless router for $37 after rebate on dealmac.com today!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next