Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Broken Memory slot in logic Board!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:20 pm 

Performing a routine memory swap on my G4 TI 500mghz taking original 256 out and adding two 512 in top and bottom. Bottom slot seemed too small. Called authorized dealer to confirm the memory was correct they confirmed. The memory finally slipped in and broke bottom slot bracket. Mac tells me I have to get a whole new logic board because these small plastic pieces snapped. i'm still running my computer off 512.

Any Ideas?
KO :evil: :cry:

Ps technician told me this is a common brake on titaniums!

Post subject: G4 Broken memory lock tabs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:50 pm 
My wife has a 1st generation titanium G4 serial#QT11220WK6B laptop on loan from her school district. I've replaced memory twice without incident. We've owned 9 Mac computers and I've upgraded the memory on most of them, NO PROBLEM. Last night, I was switching out the older simms and installing two new 512's I purchased for a Xmas present. When I pushed the white plastic clips aside on the top slot they both broke. I've done this before and no problem. The same thing happened when I attempted to remove the lower simm, one broke without moving it 1/64". The Apple repair place quoted me $400 for a new motherboard and $250 to install it. I'm in a real bind.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it documented? The machine has 144 days left on the AppleCare warranty. I feel that I've done nothing wrong and the plastic became brittle due to the constant heat in the machine (we've left it in "sleep mode" since it was new." I need to document this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:07 pm 
Thanks for the reply rdpt. I'm waiting to talk to the technician that diagnosed my computer (because it wouldn't start up), she had told me this was a common problem and would help search for used or discounted mother boards.

I also contacted Mac but made no progress besides getting the CEO's office number which doesn't open back up until the 5th. Oh ya, and they offered to pay $700 if I wanted to turn it in for a new model, after I've just invested $500 on memory and software.....thanks guys!

I was arguing the same point, although I think it was a manufacturer error on the plastic bracket clip. I tried to install two different 512 modules and the original 256 in the bottom slot, none seemed to fit well. I put all three in the top slot fine.

Seems a bit like robbery!

Post subject: Dead Logic Boards
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:30 pm 
Any of you want to sell your dead logic boards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately it is very common for the ram slots to break in these units, and the only solution is to either tape your memory down to hold it in place or replace your logic board.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject: Re: Broken Memory slot in logic Board!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:00 am 
well , there is another stuff that can be done. there are two metal inches that on the side of the memory slot. using a knife or a screwdriver or your finger nail, after installing the memory in the memory slot you can just bend them on top of the memory itself. the slots result to be pretty locked up. plastic suck i guess. ti4 does not freeze anymore as it used to with the adesive tape method and you can touch the keyboard

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]